jockey wheel

Jul 6, 2005
Visit site
I am fairly new to caravaning so am still learning,at my last weekend away the site was quite sloping and as me and my wife raised the jockey wheel it came apart""as you can imagine this was fairly stressfull but luckily some other vanners came to our rescue and lifted the van while i screwed it back in ,my question is do i need a new jockey wheel or did i overwind it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
David, If you are going to raise the front to a height higher than the lift of the jockey wheel then do as follows. Drop the jockey wheel through the clamp till it hits the ground with it fully retracted, then raise but stop before it can unscrew fully (and fall apart). Drop both front steadies to take the weight of the van and screw the jockey wheel in again. Drop it further through the calam and start lifting again.

If you get to the stage that the jockey wheel has been dropped through the clamp as far as possible but you want to lift it more then lower the steadies further and place a breeze block or similar under the wheel. Keep an eye on the rear of the van to make sure it doesn't bottom.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm certain (as I can be without looking at it) you have done no damage. All that happened is that the shaft which carries the wheel fell off the threaded bit that is attached to the handle.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This happend to us the second time out - general embarrassment all round! One of the guys that came to our rescue said that it had happend to him. Follow Ray's guide given above and you should be OK. It's unlikely that you will have done any damage.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dont worry David we have all done it its part of the learning curve

In a few weeks you will be wondering what all the fuss was about and your front locker will include lots of blocks and bits,just in case you need them

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We've all been there at some time !!

If it happens again get the good lady to carefully walk inside the caravan to the rear and this will reduce the nose weight so that you can easily lift the front.

If you need more weight at the rear get her to hold her handbag as well!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We've all been there at some time !!

If it happens again get the good lady to carefully walk inside the caravan to the rear and this will reduce the nose weight so that you can easily lift the front.

If you need more weight at the rear get her to hold her handbag as well!!
prehaps we should now call you "dangerous" John G hand bags at fifty paces?

Oct 1, 2005
Visit site
David, If you are going to raise the front to a height higher than the lift of the jockey wheel then do as follows. Drop the jockey wheel through the clamp till it hits the ground with it fully retracted, then raise but stop before it can unscrew fully (and fall apart). Drop both front steadies to take the weight of the van and screw the jockey wheel in again. Drop it further through the calam and start lifting again.

If you get to the stage that the jockey wheel has been dropped through the clamp as far as possible but you want to lift it more then lower the steadies further and place a breeze block or similar under the wheel. Keep an eye on the rear of the van to make sure it doesn't bottom.
You could remove the jockey wheel from the van, unscrew it, then screw it in an inch, then mark the position, so that in future u dont go too far again, a majic marker or even insulating tape stuck round it will do.

You have been lucky, sometimes the thread gets damaged & it wont screw back together again,

Sometimes u can file it back to shape, but if its the nut on the bottom half that deformes its a new jockey wheel unfortunatly.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts