Jockey wheel

Feb 6, 2024
Visit site
I'm on a grass seasonal pitch and the jockey wheel is sunk into the turf with all the rain we've had this summer, should I place it on a paving slab, if so do I leave the steadies down when I wind it up, I've never done this sort of thing,thanks.

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
IN a slightly different context (having to move the jockey wheel on a sloping pitch) the short answer is yes, leave the steadies down and then lift the jockey wheel, put the slab in place and re-lower the jockey wheel.

Reactions: Dustydog and Hutch

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Being on a "soft" pitch it could well be more than the jockey wheel sinking.

Of concern here will be the probability of main wheels also sinking. This "can" lead to the steadies taking more load and the effect this has on how the van overall is supported.

This is readily "reset" by easing the load on the steadies, relevelling with the jockey wheel, and re loading the steadies.

With the van now resettled correctly you can lift the jockey wheel and on a soft pitch I would leave it off the ground; it helps avoid the van being left sagging should the main wheels sink further over time.

Feb 6, 2024
Visit site
Thanks, one wheel is on a slab the other isn't.
I did spirit level checks yesterday, with a mixed bag of results.
In the van it feels like a tilt to the left, and the shower has never drained properly, the plug hole is on the right.

Attachments

• 1000015200.jpg
    1000015200.jpg
    612.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 1000015194.jpg
    1000015194.jpg
    614.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 1000015195.jpg
    1000015195.jpg
    665.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 1000015196.jpg
    1000015196.jpg
    739.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 1000015201.jpg
    1000015201.jpg
    1,005.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 1000015203.jpg
    1000015203.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • 1000015202.jpg
    1000015202.jpg
    1,011.7 KB · Views: 17
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
When levelling our van it needs to be slightly to the left ( looking forward), two reasons, 1 so the shower will drain nicely and 2, which is more important, so that Mrs does not feel like she is rolling out of bed.
I measure the level on the worktop next to the door, same place all the time.

Feb 6, 2024
Visit site
When levelling our van it needs to be slightly to the left ( looking forward), two reasons, 1 so the shower will drain nicely and 2, which is more important, so that Mrs does not feel like she is rolling out of bed.
I measure the level on the worktop next to the door, same place all the time.
So is the leveling achieved with the steadies or with those ramps.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Level the van left to right first on ramps, then on the jockey wheel , wind steadies down . Then after an hour or two check the steadies again, after the van has settled.
Ply Mrs H with a glass of wine, and convince her the caravan is level.

Reactions: Dustydog

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Never level the van with the steadies. Wind the steadies down once the van is level. Level front to back with the jockey wheel and side to side with a ramp ( or plank) under one wheel.

Reactions: Dustydog
Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
Being on a "soft" pitch it could well be more than the jockey wheel sinking.

Of concern here will be the probability of main wheels also sinking. This "can" lead to the steadies taking more load and the effect this has on how the van overall is supported.

This is readily "reset" by easing the load on the steadies, relevelling with the jockey wheel, and re loading the steadies.

With the van now resettled correctly you can lift the jockey wheel and on a soft pitch I would leave it off the ground; it helps avoid the van being left sagging should the main wheels sink further over time.
If the caravan is on soft ground (storage or seasonal pitch) would it be better to leave the steadies up when it's not being used? I'm thinking that the wheels sinking or a flat tyre wouldn't transfer load to the steadies if they were up.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
looking at your photo you may not have enough room to raise the Jockey wheel to slide the slab under - in which case you will have to loosen the steadies, tilt the van to the rear, insert the slab, then re level from scratch. As you raise the jockey so the wheel is facing exactly fire and aft when travelling, doing so when the slab is in place will hopefully enable you to level the van without the wheel fouling any of the running gear.

Reactions: Richtee180

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
If the caravan is on soft ground (storage or seasonal pitch) would it be better to leave the steadies up when it's not being used? I'm thinking that the wheels sinking or a flat tyre wouldn't transfer load to the steadies if they were up.
Yes, storing on soft ground it is best not to have both front end and rear end steadies down, as when the main load carrying wheels tend to sink then the load on the steadies increases.

The better solution IMO is not to store with them "up" but to store with them not fully down, say just clear of the ground so the van can't tip by much.

So configured modest sinking or small pressure loss in the tyre of one or both wheels will not excessively overload the steadies.

An even better solution that is generally an option is to place a two-foot piece of decking plank or like load spreading slab where the wheels will park. Even then I don't see any real positive reason to too firmly ground the steadies.

Sep 2, 2023
Visit site
On a slightly different tangent I've noticed a lot of owners on site raising their jockey wheel off the ground and just supporting the van with its steadies. So when the occupants are sat in the front of the van all their weight (which could be excessive) is being supported by the front steadies bolted to a fragile wooden floor. Surely not good practice and I'm wondering why do this, but its not an isolated case.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
On a slightly different tangent I've noticed a lot of owners on site raising their jockey wheel off the ground and just supporting the van with its steadies. So when the occupants are sat in the front of the van all their weight (which could be excessive) is being supported by the front steadies bolted to a fragile wooden floor. Surely not good practice and I'm wondering why do this, but its not an isolated case.
Most times our jockey wheel is off the ground and no issues so far, but other brands may have issues.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Generally it is advisable to spread the load of the caravan across as many points of support as possible, including the jockey wheel. But in reality the weight of occupants will be a relatively small additional load on the steadies is very unlikely to cause them or the floor they are fixed to, to fail.

Reactions: JTQ
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
That’s right. Your Buccaneer self levelling system uses the two hydraulic jacks and auto steadies . Starting nose down the jockey wheel will most times be lifted off the ground?
That is correct as forget to lower it anyway until it is time to leave. We then lower it, lift the steadies and lower the jockey wheel some more so any water on the roof runs off otherwise you have a very rude and unexpected cold shower. LOL! :ROFLMAO:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts