Jockey Wheels towing with them removed?

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
As some of you will know I recently spent about seven weeks touring Scotland and the Lakes. When we were staying at Dunning we watched an outfit arrive on site (as you do) and were surprised to see them take the the jockey wheel assembly out of the boot (before unhitching) and fit it to the A frame. Strange we thought - wonder why they did that. When they left two days later, when they were hitched up they removed the jockey wheel and put it back in the car.

Thought to more about this until we were travelling home up the A1. We have a brand new Alco jockey wheel (fitted at the service just before we left on holiday. We had come abut 140 miles when I thought I heard a bump inside the van. This happened again.

Upshot of all this is that the jockey wheel dropped to the ground (made an awful noise - thought I had a puncture) I managed to pull into a layby where the problem was obvious. I can only assume I had not tightened it enough in the raised position before we left. Cost £18 to have a new tyre fitted to the little wheel.

To get to my query. Is it legal/advisable to remove your jockey wheel assembly and carry it in the car when towing?

Kind regards - Linda

Aug 29, 2008
Visit site
Hello Linda,

Don't know about the legality of removing the jockey wheel but if the unfortunate happens and the car and caravan part company, would the jockey wheel stop the caravan hitch scraping the ground?

Tony

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I don't see why removing the jockey wheel should be illegal. What purpose would such a law have?

If you are unfortunate enough for car and caravan to part company I think you'd be thankful that the caravan scraped the ground to a grinding halt rather than continue unhindered to cause more damage.

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

I too destroyed a jockey wheel, my first long trip in a brand new Sprite Alpine in 1972. I also assume that I had not cranked the handle tight enough. Sod's Law say if something can happen, it will happen.

From then on, I always positioned the jockey wheel so that it could not revolve its way down, then "locked" the handle with a bungy clip.

My ex-miltary Sankey trailer had a pawl on the forks (fork?) which engaged with a slot, then an R-clip was used to stop the handle turning. I wonder why the Army though that was necessary? ;-)

Imagine having to man-handle your trailer off the road, in an emergency, without a jockey wheel.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
when reading the following topic the only thought I had on the subject was that maybe it would be more difficult to steal at a service area as there was no jockey wheel to raise from towbar.

i know somebody strong could lift it by hand bt as we know most criminals are lazy and go for the easy target just a thought

John

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Hi ~Linda

We too always remove the jockey wheel, having had one drop down on one trip, which caused quite a noise and wore some of the rubber away after it dragged along the road. Also think its a security measure if you have to leave them on the services area of the motorway.

Happy caravanning, carmen

Jan 28, 2008
Visit site
It is not, as far as I know, illegal to tow with no jockey wheel fitted. However I have seen many cars catch fire in the past, if you have no jockey wheel the chances are that you will lose the 'van as well. I would never tow without it fitted.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I don't see why removing the jockey wheel should be illegal. What purpose would such a law have?

If you are unfortunate enough for car and caravan to part company I think you'd be thankful that the caravan scraped the ground to a grinding halt rather than continue unhindered to cause more damage.
Be aware of this.. if the highway or local authority were aware that the jockey had been intentionally removed they could sue for the costs of repair to the road surface.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts