Joined For A Specific Question To Be Answered

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
I'm not new but I thought this might be a good place to post my comment.

Whilst obviously there will be people joining the forum to seek help and advice I do wonder why some, after receiving well intentioned and informative help and suggestions, simply never bother to acknowledge or respond with thanks.

The recent post "Powrtouch Auto Engage Mover - Help" is a case in question.

I'm certainly not "precious" about this sort of thing but it does seem churlish that, what most of us consider common decency, is sometimes ignored.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Sadly seems to be common on forums; likewise people who are new to something join and ask questions that a v quick browse of the instruction manual would answer; people want a fast easy answer via the internet but some-and fortunately a few aren't in it for any other reason than themselves-good job many, many others enjoy helping but are grateful to this sort of forum too and stick with it.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I joined this forum so that I could liase with other likeminded people who enjoy caravanning and touring. Also to both recieve and help people with relevant questions [which I hope I sometimes manage to do]

Reactions: otherclive
Jun 23, 2020
Visit site
I'm not new but I thought this might be a good place to post my comment.

Whilst obviously there will be people joining the forum to seek help and advice I do wonder why some, after receiving well intentioned and informative help and suggestions, simply never bother to acknowledge or respond with thanks.

The recent post "Powrtouch Auto Engage Mover - Help" is a case in question.

I'm certainly not "precious" about this sort of thing but it does seem churlish that, what most of us consider common decency, is sometimes ignored.

Can I play devils advocat!
I do not in any way disagree with your post and fully support your views and your rights to voice them. Nor will i focus on the specific question and poster.

I find a lot of people like to ask a question and if the answer is not to their liking go else where and repeat the same question untill they do get the answer they want to hear. Mention hard work, dedication, training, effort, time or money or both, learning new skills or getting hands dirty will also kill a conversation.

BUT,
Forums can be extremely difficult places to be in, if your a novice. Every one here has a better skill set or knowledge to you. What to you is the first time ever event to us is probable not even worth mentioning. Everyone here when we empty the toilet cassette looks away, twists our head, moves our head to the off side and a million other ways to prevent splash back. I personally favour the agitation technique, a deft side to side slosh to loosen every thing up. Fold the tube out and unscrew the lid, finger on the air release valve and a quick flick to a downwards point and away every thing flows. As a novice the first thing you do is look to see what's happening and get a face of splash back!!!!!!!!!!! (WE HAVE ALL BEEN THERE)
BUT as a novice you don't know and therefore want to ask those questions, should i slosh or should i not, should i swirl and not slosh.
One of the biggest failings i ever see is experts answering novice questions, but what's actually happening is " an expert is answering questions an expert thinks are novice suitable"

Believe me there's a massive difference. i find it almost impossible for an expert to think that low again, unless the novice is allowed to make those questions we forget what it is like to be a novice. I am on another caravan based forum, it is by far and away rude, snobbish, filled with thousands of trolls and utter beginner unfriendly, its the reason why i am here as there's a better vibe to questions, its hard to find a more aggressive and abusive admin and team that targets "silly beginner questions"
Now to a dinosaur like me its harmless, they are harmless ( spineless too) so i ignore and move on.
Maybe our one time poster came asked, researched found answers they did not like and left, maybe the truth was to much for them, may be they were just twerps and idiots. Maybe they saw or read some thing that made them leave.

it could just be that they were idiots and we are better off without them?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
We do get a fair number of people who ask a question and then who apparently disappear forever.
We're dealing with some people who have grown up with instant mass communication, their question was answered by strangers so they move on, with no underlying desire to get to know the other forum members or to develop online friendship.
The core membership of this forum consists largely of people of a similar age, people who grew up writing letters and holding lengthy telephone conversations with customers, clients or colleagues who over time they grew to 'know'.
Younger people tend not to develop distant relationships with people because the medium of letter writing and lengthy telephone calls is becoming a thing of the past.
Having said all that we still have new members who stick around long enough to be old members if we can help them to feel part of our online community.
It is sometimes a bit daunting for someone new to a caravan forum to post a comment, to a new member we might seem a bit cliquey at times when a relatively simple question turns into what seems like a highly technical debate between 'established' forum members to the exclusion of the new member.
By the time Damian or myself have stepped in to prevent further hi jacking it's usually too late, the damage is done and the potential new member has gone for good.

Reactions: Mel and Galgo slave

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts