Joining the RAC direct or via C&CC (Arrival Scheme)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have just had an interesting chat with the RAC. My Arrival membership is up for renewal (£72.95). This will be my 5th year of membership and have never called on the RAC service. In exploring other options I looked on the RAC website. They cover caravans up to 7.6 metres without having to be a member of Arrivals (in one telephone conversations with one of the sales team I was told it was 18 feet). However, the terms and conditions on the website clearly states 7.6 metres, as does the Terms of Membership booklet and this was confirmed by two members of RAC staff. Joining directly, with no call-outs provides a 10 per year discount up to 50%. Therefore, if I had been a direct member I would now have 40% discount instead of 15%. The website shows £77 for the cover I have via Arrivals (Solution 2) - and provides a discount of £10 for a new member only booking on line. However, I was offered a 10% discount on the price of £87 = £78.30. Whilst slightly higher than my renewal, I now have the ability to earn a 50% discount.

So, if you do not breakdown and are either a member via Arrivals or looking for a membership of a breakdown organisation with a caravan of less than 7.6 metres try the RAC directly.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Another good one re the AA is to get one of their AA Credit Cards and use this for your petrol purchases during the year. You gain points with each transaction which can be redeemed each year for the AA membership fee.

The petrol dosn't cost any more so you effectively get free AA membership.

I do not know if the RAC do anything similar.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Paul, the RAC also state they will NOT recover a caravan if its the caravan that breaks down, only if its under tow when the car breaks down. I'm with the RAC via Kia Assist, free for 3 yrs, but it looks like I will be taking extra recovery via cc before my next trip.

Brian

May 20, 2005
Visit site
I questioned RAC on this subject when my renewal was due in may and got this reply

Thank you for your email to RAC Motoring Services. Please accept my

apologies for the delay in reply.

I would like to advise that under our Recovery service caravans/trailers on tow at the time of a breakdown

are covered up to a maximum overall length of 7.6 metres (25 feet)including tow bar. However, if it is your

caravan or trailer that has broken down at the roadside and we cannot repair it at the scene, then if

requested to do so by the Police we will remove it to a place of safety.

If you require the broken down caravan/trailer to be recovered to a destination of your choice we will arrange

but not pay for this.

I hope this clarifies the situation.

If you require any further assistance please contact us again.

Regards

Tessa Francis

RAC Customer Services

So I phoned them up as I am a member of the camping and caravaning club, on their site it shows a caravan being loaded on to a recovery truck.

The result was they add arrival to my RAC membership which means my caravan/boat will be recovered and the renewal price stayed the same.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks emmerson - I was not aware of this potential problem with the AA. Even though I told them that I towed a caravan (and horse box, Ifor Williams etc) they never mentioned that what I towed may not be recoverred.

I will check it out later today and post their responce.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts