Juddering water supply

Apr 19, 2006
Visit site
My 1987 Sprite has a submersible pump (Whale) supplying a cold tap in the kitchen and one in the toilet room. The toilet room tap works fine but the kitchen tap only starts when turned to maximum and then the water judders noisily out. If the toilet room tap is on the kitchen tap works fine! Any suggestions? Thanks.

Jul 25, 2005
Visit site
Sounds like you may have air in the supply pipe somewere along the line.

Do you open your taps up when filling up from empty?

Just run your pump ( with taps open ) until no more air comes out of any tap,

Hope this works for you.

Pop.

Apr 19, 2006
Visit site
Thought I would tackle this problem last weekend. Filled up the tank, turned on the kitchen tap and water poured out of the oven! Removed the oven to find the supply hose had come off the microswitch tap unit. Took the oven out, checked all hoses and tightened all jubilee clips hoping the original problem would be cured, put everything back together but, alas, problem still there.

By the way, its not a problem that goes away once the air is out of the system unless there is some way that air gets in on the kitchen sink branch. There is no evidence of leakage behind cooker or fridge, or under the van.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
James, from what you originally told us it could simply be a problem with the electrical switching of the Kitchen tap. As you say the toilet work fine on its own and both work fine with the toilet switched on then the pump and water system are not at fault. Its the kitchen tap is not able to energise the pump properly; almost certain the taps micro-switch, but possible the wiring to it or the associated connectors. First wiggle the connectors if that does not cure it ; With the tap open, short out the taps two wires ,one to the other. If it then works its the microswitch; you might be lucky and drive any damp out of it with just a hint of WD 40. Go careful it leaves a deadfull stink and SWMBO will not know if to curse or thank you!

Apr 19, 2006
Visit site
James, from what you originally told us it could simply be a problem with the electrical switching of the Kitchen tap. As you say the toilet work fine on its own and both work fine with the toilet switched on then the pump and water system are not at fault. Its the kitchen tap is not able to energise the pump properly; almost certain the taps micro-switch, but possible the wiring to it or the associated connectors. First wiggle the connectors if that does not cure it ; With the tap open, short out the taps two wires ,one to the other. If it then works its the microswitch; you might be lucky and drive any damp out of it with just a hint of WD 40. Go careful it leaves a deadfull stink and SWMBO will not know if to curse or thank you!
Thanks for the helpful suggestions. I have tried cleaning the tap connectors, shorting out the connectors in situ, shorting out the connectors with the microswitch removed from the tap, removing the connectors from the microswitch and touching them together - all of which has no effect! This would suggest that the microswitch is o.k. It may be my imagination but I think the water flows fine for the first 30 seconds or so before the juddering sets in. I will try and check the wiring under the floor unless you have any other ideas.

Thanks again for taking an interest, James

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts