Just an observation.

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Hi Euro,

Which 4x4s put out 350 & 520 BHP, those must be some monsters.

I have a van weighing in at 1600kgs, my last (ordinary) tow car was a Volvo 850 est. The Volvo pulled the van no problem until overtaken by a LGV/bus or cross winds.

I decided to change cars but it meant a big Merc or Audi were the only ones that I could think of other than 4x4s.

We went away in late October & had to be towed off the rally field (not nicely layed out camp sites with roadways)by a 4x4.

This made up my mind that I would go in future for a 4x4.

That was 3 years ago, I dont regret my choice of car but maybe I should look at some thing more economical Astra/Focus maybe.

Do you think this would be a good match with my 1600kgs Burstner?

G

As a visitor to the UK we see far more 4x4's than at home in France, but most are towing nothing! They often just have one or two in the car like us! So what, it is there choice! The American "pick-up" culture has also got a hold here, I realise that for some there are tax benefits but that is still at the cost of MPG in most cases.

Yet again no comment on those sort of vehicles.

Graham south Brum, try what you like, our cars are our business. If a car suits you and your budget and does what you want make your choice and forget me Allan and Gill and anyone else, it's your business and not for others to debate.

I also see many bus and coaches running 1/4 or less full, that must be really bad!

Allan and Gill, if tow car selections play on your mind so much that you need to comment and question our choices, keeping both pairs of eyes on the road will probably be safer for you.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
This type of subject is always an emotive one. On this forum one thing that we have in common is that we all own and tow caravans with whatever vehicle suits our individual preferences.

Predjudice against us caravanners is there for all to see without us falling out amongst ourselves.

Posts regarding 4x4s have been done to death imo., so let's not beat ourselves over the head any further.

Time to change the subject and think of something constructive to say about our hobby.

Jul 16, 2007
Visit site
Well said Mr Moderator.

Alan & Gill, perhaps a few more tactful observations with your judgment thrown in could open a wealth of reponses - how about:

a) the number of overweight people who caravan

b) the number of children playing near your caravan

c) the number of caravanners who watch tv!

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
We had a 2003 Volvo D5 S80 kerbweight 1650kg out of the box to tow our caravan but after a bad snake or two although the caravan was loaded correctly and on two occasions get stuck in mud decided the 4 x 4 was the safer option for towing our Lexon 640 with MTPLM 1600kg. We traded in the Volvo after 18 months for a 1997 Toyota Hilux Surf 3.0L auto.

On a number of occasions we have pulled out caravans and cars stuck in muid through no fault of their own. We now regard it as a necessity for our Hobby. It is servcied regularly and if I so wish can run on SVO without any modifications. It is our preference and it is not used as a chelsea tractor. It is fully paid for and we do not owe a bean on it! We are happy.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ken, Can I add a few please?

People who don't say good morning on site when they pass you on the way to and from the toilet block.

People who erect wind breaks thus forming their own stockade.

People who insist on spoiling the air by having smelly BBQ's.

People who go to adult only sites are child haters.

There what with your suggestions and mine we should have many hours of happy discussions.

Ray

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
It really would help if people actually said what they mean when they start a topic.

4x4 ... 4x4 ... 4x4 Is that what you REALLY mean or do you mean BIG things like Range Rovers, Shoguns, Tuareg's etc etc which also have 4 wheel drive.

There are plenty of 4 wheel drive vehicles that are NOT gas guzzlers or very large so lets be clear what we mean when we use the term 4x4.

I suppose that as "4x4"s are so bad I had better not bother getting my new Subaru Impreza !!!

Steve

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Further debate on this thread will only lead to more unhelpful comment and this topic has been covered many times on this forum. Forum members that require further information regarding these matters should use the forum search facility in the blue box on the forum header.

This thread is now closed.

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Sorry to remove posts, but if a moderator decides to close a thread there must be no further posts, no matter how innocent.

Please abide by this decision, however much you may be bursting to make your point.

Thank you.

Jul 11, 2005
Visit site
Ken, Can I add a few please?

People who don't say good morning on site when they pass you on the way to and from the toilet block.

People who erect wind breaks thus forming their own stockade.

People who insist on spoiling the air by having smelly BBQ's.

People who go to adult only sites are child haters.

There what with your suggestions and mine we should have many hours of happy discussions.

Ray
I'm all of them except the first!!

Edd

TRENDING THREADS