Just Have A Think!

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Now, while the climate may be changing, the actual IPCC report doesn’t paint the end of the world scenario the doomsayers claim.

View attachment 3223
If you read Robinson Myers The Atlantic article in April 2022 it paints a totally different picture of how three different paths could lead to outcomes. None really align with your article. I know which one I would believe.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Now, while the climate may be changing, the actual IPCC report doesn’t paint the end of the world scenario the doomsayers claim.
You mention the IPCC report:- I have been unable to find the source of the screen snap that you have displayed, but it reads very differently to all other informed assessments I have seen. There is no doubt our climate is changing at a faster rate than history and geology has previously recorded with the exception of the events surround of the extinction of the dinosaurs.

Here is a link to the official IPCC report:-

Itsmy view that climate change has always occurred due to natural changes which have seen periods of warmer conditions alternating with colder ice ages. these natural oscillations have generally had a periods of millennia (1000s of years) to see 1C average changes, the evidence that we are now seeing over 1.5C changes in only 100yrs is whats sounding the alarm bells.

This acceleration of rate of change happens to tie in with the advent of mans industrial activities. And even without climate change we can see across the globe locations where man's activity has radically altered the local ecosystems to the point that traditional species of plant and animal can no longer live in certain places.

macandy

BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
You mention the IPCC report:- I have been unable to find the source of the screen snap that you have displayed, but it reads very differently to all other informed assessments I have seen. There is no doubt our climate is changing at a faster rate than history and geology has previously recorded with the exception of the events surround of the extinction of the dinosaurs.

Itsmy view that climate change has always occurred due to natural changes which have seen periods of warmer conditions alternating with colder ice ages. these natural oscillations have generally had a periods of millennia (1000s of years) to see 1C average changes, the evidence that we are now seeing over 1.5C changes in only 100yrs is whats sounding the alarm bells.

This acceleration of rate of change happens to tie in with the advent of mans industrial activities. And even without climate change we can see across the globe locations where man's activity has radically altered the local ecosystems to the point that traditional species of plant and animal can no longer live in certain places.

the link

the problem with Climate Change is the alarmist camp will insist on predications of the most alarming, worst possible outcomes and never assume any improvement via science or technology.

an example?

in the early 70’s. Everyone was predicting oil would all have run run out by the year 2000, and the Earths atmosphere would be an unbreathable smog.

they extrapolated 1970 to 2000, but….

along comes the oil shock, and along comes learn burn engine technology.

if someone had claimed in 1970, a family car would do 80mpg , 130mph - and produce almost no pollution, everyone would have fallen over laughing.
because the technology ig the time was 20mpg, 85mph and belching clouds of smoke.

now? We have more oil reserves than 1970, vastly more cars on the roads, and smoky car exhausts are only in the old movies.

the future is always better than the doomsayers predict.

see the claims of no more snow, no more glaciers, rainforests etc in ‘the next 10 years’ Over the last 50 years

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

There have been a number of ice ages and presently Earth is in an interglacial period.

http://earthguide.ucsd.edu/virtualmuseum/climatechange2/01_1.shtml

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_age

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
the link

the problem with Climate Change is the alarmist camp will insist on predications of the most alarming, worst possible outcomes and never assume any improvement via science or technology.

an example?

in the early 70’s. Everyone was predicting oil would all have run run out by the year 2000, and the Earths atmosphere would be an unbreathable smog.

they extrapolated 1970 to 2000, but….

along comes the oil shock, and along comes learn burn engine technology.

if someone had claimed in 1970, a family car would do 80mpg , 130mph - and produce almost no pollution, everyone would have fallen over laughing.
because the technology ig the time was 20mpg, 85mph and belching clouds of smoke.

now? We have more oil reserves than 1970, vastly more cars on the roads, and smoky car exhausts are only in the old movies.

the future is always better than the doomsayers predict.

see the claims of no more snow, no more glaciers, rainforests etc in ‘the next 10 years’ Over the last 50 years
If you were to read the IPCC report any mitigation is only achievable by major technological changes. How else would rising CO2 levels be countered. That technological change also will require major lifestyle changes in parallel. O’Neill set out five possible paths to tackle climate change and warming, but what he shared in common is the need to achieve the same reductions as advised by IPCC. So it’s not a case of the end, more one of the means to achieve the end.

Last edited:
Reactions: ProfJohnL

macandy

BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
If you were to read the IPCC report any mitigation is only achievable by major technological changes. How else would rising CO2 levels be countered. That technological change also will require major lifestyle changes in parallel. O’Neill set out five possible paths to tackle climate change and warming, but what he shared in common is the need to achieve the same reductions as advised by IPCC. So it’s not a case of the end, more one of the means to achieve the end.

the activists don’t want technical change, they demand total societal change, because at heart, they are old school Marxist anarchists. They have no interest in solutions - see the likes of one of the Insulate Britain mob who drove around the globe on an 81,000 mile jaunt in a diesel 4x4.
others holiday in the Caribbean, go on road trips to Canada, go surfboarding in the tropics,

’Just StopOil’ etc, it sounds so easy too a gullible teenager. But the minds behind it like Roger Hallam know it would collapse western economies and give them an in.

this is the mind behind the current Insulate Britain, Just stop oil blockades, not a read for the faint hearted!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
the link

I do agree there are some who could be consider to be "end of the earth is nigh" brigade, and to some extent that is a real possibility if we do nothing to kerb human excesses that continue damage the environment in the ways were currently are or could if present expansion of activities continues.

But there is also no doubt that environmental issues are now being taken more seriously, but the question is are we doing enough to either hold present levels - which most intelligent people understand are too high and thus still unsustainable. Or should we doing more to actively reduce our previous excesses.

It's unrealistic to expect its possible to to stop ALL the human race's anti eco activities. Most of the worst ones are enacted by the industrialised world, and that's were the biggest reductions should be targeted.

I agree the solution may not be total cessation of activities, but that must form part of the solution, but the development of new technologies to either improve or replace older harmful ones should be a more palatable and practicable approach.

I disagree with a factual point you made. You wrote "We have more oil reserves than 1970," That cannot be true as new oil is not being made fast enough by the earth's geological processes, Effectively the amount of fossil based oil and gas in the earth was effectively finite, and every drop thats been extracted has reduced the remaining quantity. Perhaps you meant the amount of identified and extractable fossil fuel has increased due to better exploration and extraction methods.

However the extraction and use of oil and natural gas are very clearly linked to the industrial events that are also linked to accelerating climate change, consequently it would be irresponsible to continue to extract these materials at present rates, we need to reduce our dependence on them to reduce the levels of CO2 and other pollutants we release into the environment.

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
the activists don’t want technical change, they demand total societal change, because at heart, they are old school Marxist anarchists. They have no interest in solutions - see the likes of one of the Insulate Britain mob who drove around the globe on an 81,000 mile jaunt in a diesel 4x4.
others holiday in the Caribbean, go on road trips to Canada, go surfboarding in the tropics,

’Just StopOil’ etc, it sounds so easy too a gullible teenager. But the minds behind it like Roger Hallam know it would collapse western economies and give them an in.

this is the mind behind the current Insulate Britain, Just stop oil blockades, not a read for the faint hearted!

To be honest I really don’t think that Insulate Britain, Rebellion and associated groups have influenced popular views one jot. They are looked at for what they are; disrupters with aims that whilst laudable must know that achieving those aims in their declared timescales is impossible and they only serve to undermine their cause and irritate the mainstream populations by their actions.

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I remember in the late 1970s going to a General Election rally where a certain activist Jonathon Poritt was speaking as a member of the Green Party. He was very good and a master of his subject. But certain section of the community feared him for his views. Now he's mainstream and a Lord. I cannot see Roger Hallam getting anywhere near Lord Porritts success. One funny was that a few days later my boss asked me had I been to that meeting. I said "yes". "Perhaps not a good idea to go to any more Green Party meetings" he said . Strange as I had not told anyone of my attendance? But I can put 2 and 2 together.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
The current UK population growth rate would see UK population at 100 million by 2120.
That's up from 66 million of us now.....I don't see any meaningful reduction in the UK's contribution to the so called causes of global warming any time soon.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The current UK population growth rate would see UK population at 100 million by 2120.
That's up from 66 million of us now.....I don't see any meaningful reduction in the UK's contribution to the so called causes of global warming any time soon.
That’s not anywhere near the ONS projections, which forecast that when the bulge in elderly has passed the fertility rate will have been dropping over that period too and future fertility rate is unlikely to increase, so whilst there will be growth it’s not forecasting that far ahead. Where did your figures come from?

Last edited:
Reactions: Buckman
Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
I made a simple extrapolation calculation from known facts about the UK.
1920= 44 million
2020= 66 million
2120= 100 million ???
Everyone is guessing the future population growth figures.... my simple point is I never hear any mention of population growth in the arguments around global warming.

Last edited:

macandy

BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
1920= 44 million
2020= 66 million
2021= 100 million ???
Everyone is guessing the future population growth figures.... my simple point is I never hear any mention of population growth in the arguments around global warming.

population growth is not linear.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
1920= 44 million
2020= 66 million
2021= 100 million ???
Notwithstanding the Duke of Edinburgh views it’s not a given that the populations will continue to grow. Japan, Germany, China and Russia are all forecast to have falling population numbers. Other countries are forecast to increase. Your approach of just extrapolating isn’t at all valid.

macandy

BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
Notwithstanding the Duke of Edinburgh views it’s not a given that the populations will continue to grow. Japan, Germany, China and Russia are all forecast to have falling population numbers. Other countries are forecast to increase. Your approach of just extrapolating isn’t at all valid.

Europe is dying out, it’s population will significantly drop by 2050.
it’s the same across the whole developed world.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
.....that will cut the consumption and pollution statistics for Europe and the developed world then.
I can definitely state that the world population will decrease by one by 2050.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts