just how secure are alko hitch locks????

Jan 14, 2007
Visit site
Don,t be lulled into a false sense of security because you have one of these fitted.Mine was peeled back like a corned beef can and left in the space previously occupied by 15k,s worth of caravan.Last heard of in cleveland area.

Maybe tin of beans more of a detterant!!

gary

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
Not very good dont rely on just them.

A friend broke a key in one we put a crow bar up the side and pinged it off in all of 15 seconds!!!!

May 25, 2008
Visit site
Are we talking about the orange coloured wheel locks, that fit into alloy wheels???

If we are how does it peel back like a corned beef tin ???

and how did it ping off in 15 seconds ??? did it cause and damage to the wheel. Not doubting you just wondered how ???

Also did you inform ALKO of the ease of removal ??? Afterall they are selling under the ( sold secure label )

May 25, 2008
Visit site
Sorry I see you are talking about the Hitch Lock.

I did note on my insurance that it would be invalid if only a Hitch Lock was fitted and the Caravan left Unattended

Jan 14, 2007
Visit site
phoned alko today to moan about apparent ease of removal,was told "yeah we know they can be removed in minutes and the secure wheel locks can be off in about 20 minutes!!!"

probably wont be using that brand then!!

gary

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
To be honest 20 mins for the Al-ko wheel is pretty good.Good idea is to not rely on just one type of lock,use various types.

If they want the van they will take it,just make it as difficult as possible and hopefully they will give your van a miss?

May 25, 2008
Visit site
probably wont be using that brand then!!

I would be pleased to see what the alternative is that you will use ???

Not being smart just wondering what is better, without removing wheels etc which you can't on a CC site for a weekend etc ( as far as I know )

G

It depends if you are talking about leaving the van for a short time at say a service station, or a site, or for long term such as winter storage.

If the former you can only do what you can. If someone has decided that your van is a good 'steal' in a service area, then they will be tooled up to get the lock off in seconds and the van away. If you are really concerned then the only option is for one of you to stay at the outfit at all times.

If it is on site, then theft is rare, espcially on Club sites. Some more relaxed commercial sites may not be so good though. I tend to move on from sites with just a few too many Transit vans etc and large gas bottles at the door of the caravan. Probably all innocent, but I feel happier moving.

For long term storage removal of the cushions and mattresses does make the van less desirable to thieves as they have a job getting replacements.

Apart from that the only thing you can do is make sure your insurance cover is what you want.

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
I knew the alko hitch locks were not up to much but was surprised to read about alko's comments that the secure wheel locks were only good for 20 minutes. I contacted them last year to ask about the wheel locks and was told that at that time they had no record of a caravan being stolen whilst an alko wheel lock was in place. I have never heard on any of the caravan forums of a van theft when an alko wheel lock was in place either. There was one report in the Caravan Club mag of the two wheel locks being burnt off a twin axle but the van wasn't taken, I would have thought the heat generated would have damaged the wheel drum and perhaps rendered the van immobile. There was also a report on another forum of a twin axle stolen when the bulldog version of the wheel lock was in place.

I know if the thieves really want it they will get it some way or other but I had hoped the alko wheel lock was good for a lot longer than 20 minutes :(

Mar 2, 2008
Visit site
Hi.

Just spotted this thread and wondered, "Whitch hitch locks do other 'vanners think are the best?"

I have an Alko hitchlock and was surprised to read how vulnerable they were! Although SWMBO or I stay with the 'van on short stops (service areas etc), I can see that one day we might need to quickly attach the hitch lock and leave the 'van,for a short time.

Any thoughts?

G

Life is too short to worry about every eventuality that may come your way.

You take the precautions yout think are best, and have insurance and leave the rest to fate. It is only a caravan. Yes, it is expensive and yes, it is your pride and joy, but it is still replaceable and better to enjoy life.

The chances of it being nicked are small, but not zero. There is more chance of it being nicked from your house.

After all, when you leave home to go away in the van, there is a chance your house will be robbed, or burn down.

One answer is to get a big Rottweiler and leave it in the van

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
We use an Alko hitch lock, a Bull dog euro clamp 2 steady locks and whilst at home a post as well, if they take all that off and remove the post without us or next door hearing or seeing they can have it, so longs as I dont get it back. Got new for old insurance, and comply with all their conditions. As has been said if someone wants it theyll have it, just make it as dificult as possible and they might just leave yours alone

Kevin

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Sold secure rate the alko hitch lock as gold, but someone on here states that alko say 15 seconds and off for their lock prahaps someone should inform sold secure to down grade their lock. Id be suprised if they would be so flipant about it then!!!

Kevin

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
Hi all,I haven't posted for a while but I thought I'd put my two penneth worth in on this one.

Regarding the AlKo wheel lock, I wouldn't lose too much sleep about it being removed.

Having been involved in heavy engineering and using burning and cutting gear for most of my life and looking at my own AlKo wheel lock, I'd say about 20 to 30 minutes would be about right but a fair amount of prep work would have to be done before that.

Extensive heat shielding to protect the plastics and wood work would have to be done, otherwise the whole shooting match would go up in flames.

Having done all that once you start the burning process using oxy acetylene a tremendous amount of heat would be generated and the wheel would not survive, also because of the time involved an extensive amount of heat transfer would occur distorting the brake assembly and probably the axle

While all this is going on there would be a fair amount of smoke, light and noise occurring so yes I could get one off but would need about an hour from arriving on site and I would attract a lot of attention.

There are other methods of burning such as spark erosion which would not generate as much heat transfer but from memory I think require a 3 phase supply

KnL

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Fully agree with the above comments, but only if you are attacking the lock from the front. ie. getting enough heat into the actual bulk of the 'lozenge' to remove it from between the alloy wheel spokes.

The securing bolt is vulnerable and can be easily accessed from behing the wheel and I reckon could be burned through in a few minutes, without the heat distortion or damage described.

I know when I read the original account of these locks being cut off with oxy-acetylene, that is the impression that I was given of how they achieved it.

Don't be too complacent.

Jul 19, 2005
Visit site
All we can hope for is to get the most secure design within the limitations of the particular type of device.

I still have sitting in my shed a large BullDog clamp that I rarely use because it is so heavy and cumbersome to use and instead rely on my SAS Original clamp (in combination with ALKO Hitchlock and ALKO Secure Wheel Lock) which I know I will immediately fit as part of the setting up process rather than when I feel like lugging something extremely heavy from the car and spend 30 minutes struggling to position correctly.

The ALKO Secure Wheel Lock was a significant move forward from Wheel Clamps but it can still take some time to get lined up particularly if you are also trying to level the van as part of the same process.

Alun

May 5, 2005
Visit site
its reasonably easy on a single axle as we use boards to level which we have a little movement,i can see levlling ramps or twin axle are tricky.I think the alko wheel clamp is as good as you can currently get and my insurance agree as it has really come down (c&CC policy)

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
If you go on the sold secure website they rate Thiefbeaters Identification and Registration System as gold secure they would have to find the van first.

Go to youtube and type in sold secure,they have a film of bike chains,sold secure test guarenteed 5 mins

Mar 19, 2007
Visit site
Recently a van was stolen from where our van was stored. They had a Alko wheel lock. Apparently it was removed with ease. I understand the trick is to hit the reciever part very hard and it will smash. Something to do with the casting. Then you can remove the lock. The reciever will be broken but if the thieves can be bothered it can also be replaced. Our van was also stolen at the same time. Yup Alko hitchlock was left for all to see, along with our wheelclamp. So much for Sold Secure.

I say lets have an automatic SCANNING network to scan the electronic tag.

Bob

Cumbria

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think the message here is, no matter what you have to secure your Van or where you store it, if they want it, its GONE. Just make sure you comply with the Insurances needs on security.

Bri

May 25, 2008
Visit site
Sorry to hear about this Bob, could you please identify how this happened ie Was Caravans in secure storage Cassoa Site ?? and what was the Insurance Companies response ??

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site
How would you feel if just as you were nicking a caravan a siren sounded inside it, and blue strobes flashed out the back window.

Would you say, 'Not a problem'.

Or would you say 'Goodbye caravan'.

Well, most of us have a storage battery on board.

Sirens and strobes are cheap enough and readily available.

All you need after that is a simple circuit, and a bit of string from a switch to a ground anchor out of sight under your van.

When the van is moved the string pulls the switch on.

The siren sounds, and the strobes flash.

Sirens and strobes don't take a lot of current, so unless you and your neighbours are away for a few days, it should still be sounding and flashing when you get back.

If you park where there's no-one around, just use strobes.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The new Al-ko wheel locks are now diamond secure rated. We use two on our ta for obvious reasons. Also use a bulldog hitchlock which looks far more robust and stronger than the Al-ko hitch lock.

At the end of the day if the thief eants your caravan, he'll have it. A while back there was a picture and article in CC mag of a mobile crane and low loader literally lifting / stealing a caravan from someones secure garden!!

All these defences are probably no more than a deterrant and perhaps more inmportantly enable you to obtain insurance at a reasonable premium .

Gumbo , I'm watching with bated breath... Two caravans alone on this thread stolen.I hope they answer your question.

Cheers

Dustydog

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts