Just starting

May 24, 2021
Visit site
Hi

I have just bought a 2004 swift challenger 520.
I am having difficulty getting the gas to work on the cooker also the hot water. Any help please

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
2 seperate issues, first the water heater, have you got a system with a removeable cover on the outside, if so the cover need to be removed for gas to operate, secondly is it the oven that is not lighting or the hob or both. on some ovens the lid needs to be raised to its highest position for the gas to work, also in both cases you need to check the tap in the gas line to each device is turned to the on position, you will normally find the taps in a cupboard in the kitchen area, do you have gas working on anything else, such as fridge or barbecue point,and you also need to check you have gas in the cylinder in the front locker, and that it is turned on

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Hi

I have just bought a 2004 swift challenger 520.
I am having difficulty getting the gas to work on the cooker also the hot water. Any help please
Hi welcome to the forum, did you buy private or dealer?
Either way you should have seen it working before handing over payment.
Sorry to say the best way forward would be a caravan engineer for you now, just as an aside have you checked the taps are on?
Sorry if this is harsh reply for you first post, we are genuinely looking after you as you will find a great bunch on hear with a wealth of knowledge.

May 24, 2021
Visit site
2 seperate issues, first the water heater, have you got a system with a removeable cover on the outside, if so the cover need to be removed for gas to operate, secondly is it the oven that is not lighting or the hob or both. on some ovens the lid needs to be raised to its highest position for the gas to work, also in both cases you need to check the tap in the gas line to each device is turned to the on position, you will normally find the taps in a cupboard in the kitchen area, do you have gas working on anything else, such as fridge or barbecue point,and you also need to check you have gas in the cylinder in the front locker, and that it is turned on
Hi thanks it’s the whole cooker. Yes the glass lid was fully open. Ok all the taps in the cupboard by the cooker are turned on not sure about the water cover. I’ll check all this again

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Unless you have a recent service record for the van then you really should get it serviced by an approved engineer.
Whilst he /she is servicing the van it gives you time to ask any questions about how things work and it is sensible to ensure your safety and that of your family.

You can find a local approved engineer here: https://approvedworkshops.co.uk/find-approved-workshop

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
As mentioned in a previous post for the sake of your family and yourself get an approved workshop technician to service the caravan as soon as possible.
BTW have you checked the date on the tyres to see how old they are as the tyres may be past the recommended change by date even though they look good?

May 11, 2021
Visit site
I recently tested our newly-acquired, first ever caravan last week and also couldn't get the cooker to light. It turns out I had opened the caravan-side isolator valve but had forgotten to open the 'tap' on top of the cylinder itself. It's easy to miss a simple thing so start from the beginning and check everything is right.

Reactions: Hutch
May 24, 2014
Visit site
It could be something really simple such as no gas. If the bottle came with the van, did anybody check it for content. Next in line the regulator on the bulkhead. The inline taps and cowl have already been mentioned but is the cooker trying to ignite, is the heating/water trying to ignite. If so, it may not be a gas problem.

However, the best advice has already been given, get it checked by a caravan technician. There is no price to your and your families safety. I would say this to anybody buying a used van, not just one that has shown problems.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
If I remember correcly, ( I haven't been to our caravan for a few months,) but is the 12volts electrics switched on. On our caravan, if we don't have 12 volts power the water heater, the cooker and Fridge do not work on gas.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It could be something really simple such as no gas. If the bottle came with the van, did anybody check it for content. Next in line the regulator on the bulkhead. The inline taps and cowl have already been mentioned but is the cooker trying to ignite, is the heating/water trying to ignite. If so, it may not be a gas problem.

However, the best advice has already been given, get it checked by a caravan technician. There is no price to your and your families safety. I would say this to anybody buying a used van, not just one that has shown problems.
Good advice, but they did say that they had resolved the issue as had simply overlooked turning on the gas. LOL!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts