Kampa/domestic gale pump

Aug 8, 2024
Visit site
Folks I can’t seem to find anywhere with the dometic gale pump in stock. Has anyone any alternatives they would recommend and if so, are any adapters needed? FYI I’d probably prefer a 240v too. Tks.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Leisureshopdirect.com are showing stock - all seem to be 12v only - although you may be able to buy a transformer to suit (my Halfords cooler transformer provides 12v output via the ‘cigar lighter’ type socket fir example)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Jamie,

I am pretty certain the dometic Gale pump is only available for 12V dc. as its designed to inflate air awnings, which may need to be inflated where there isn't a 230Vac mains supply available, where as if you towed to a site, your car and probably your caravan will have 12V available.

The compressor uses a positive displacement pump which can have quite high current demands which a car or caravan battery can deal with happily, but a wall wart type 12V psu would not. they usually have a limited current capacity which might not be enough to run the inflator. You would need a power supply that can deliver at least 10A at 12V or 120W.

An alternative is to use a 12v pack like this or something that has the car power type out let with a rated capacity of at least 10A or 120W.

Like this

Many car jump packs have a car type power outlet socket that would be suitable

Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
I wired in a 12v socket direct from the battery and fused at the battery end.
The socket is just inside the front nearside locker and the cable is just long enough to reach the awning inflation point. Before I did this I just used to park the car close enough to use the 12v socket in the boot. No need for 230v🫣

Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
Whilst perusing Amazon I found this
BGFOX 15A/180W AC 110V-240V to DC 12V Converter, 2.65M Car Charger Power Supply Cigarette Lighter Socket Adapter for Car Vacuum Cleaner, Car Refrigerator, Tire Inflator, and Other Car Devices https://amzn.eu/d/9VHmBpZ
Should easily run a 10amp compressor.
I really don't need one. 🫣

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Whilst perusing Amazon I found this
BGFOX 15A/180W AC 110V-240V to DC 12V Converter, 2.65M Car Charger Power Supply Cigarette Lighter Socket Adapter for Car Vacuum Cleaner, Car Refrigerator, Tire Inflator, and Other Car Devices https://amzn.eu/d/9VHmBpZ
Should easily run a 10amp compressor.
I really don't need one. 🫣
That should work, but there is this in the listing:-
  • 【Wide Application】Our 180W 15A cigarette lighter converter is available to power almost all common 12V vehicle electronics, included car vacuum cleaners, car refrigerators, car air purifiers, car tire inflators, etc. Note: Some compressor or air pump with a starting power greater than 15A cannot be runned.
The problem might be whilst the compressors running current my 6 to 8 Amps, its starting current could be well in excess of that. A Battery can provide that starting pulse, and becasue the pulse is so short it won't necessarily blow a 10A/15A inline fuse.

But a Switch Mode Power Supply Unit usually has a hard current limit which might not be able to start the compressor. I have experienced this with a tyre inflator when I tried it on a 10A SMPSU. It was fine on a jump pack.

I can't be certain that will happen in this case but it's a possibility.

TRENDING THREADS