Apr 15, 2006
Visit site
Having just read a post hi-jacked by this person, I feel compelled to ask the moderator why we have to tolerate these infantile and abusive postings. The attitude on the forum over the past week has been terrible - I shall, unfortunately, be avoiding for a while.

Apr 10, 2006
Visit site
Stuart

This is an old problem on the forum which I am glad to say is now under control. The recent modifications to the forum has allowed us (well one clever member of the team) to identify at least 13 accounts for this user thanks to their recent posts.

We are as pleased as anyone that this is now controllable and apologise for the users who where offended by the lack of speed to deal with it. Unfortunately, it was a requirement to let them post so that the new system could track them

Mod3

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I assume that this person was using multiple identities from a static IP address. If they insist on going down this path they really ought to go through various proxy servers to cloak their real IP address

Or better still, don't do it at all!

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Cliff; I think that if the person had the intelligence and knowledge to be able to vary his/her IP address, then they possibly would have little desire to post such juvenile material. By the way, I believe that although the majority of PCs will get their IP address from a DHCP server (often incorporated within their own router), the external IP will usually be static, so it's easy to track. The offender would have to (say) swap ISPs so that a new IP address was being used.

Anyway, really glad that the Moderator can now take sensible action against those whose only aim is to offend and disrupt others.

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Cliff; I think that if the person had the intelligence and knowledge to be able to vary his/her IP address, then they possibly would have little desire to post such juvenile material. By the way, I believe that although the majority of PCs will get their IP address from a DHCP server (often incorporated within their own router), the external IP will usually be static, so it's easy to track. The offender would have to (say) swap ISPs so that a new IP address was being used.

Anyway, really glad that the Moderator can now take sensible action against those whose only aim is to offend and disrupt others.

John
John

My ISP issues me with a new IP address each time I switch off my router and reconnect which is a bit of a pain. In fact they want me to pay extra for a static one. I run a server from my home network so have to use dyndns.com to keep track of my IP address because it changes so often ( its a free service ).

Also Practical caravan will not see the IP address issued by your ISP if you go thru any proxy server - they can only see the IP of the last server you went thru. This is the way the Anonymiser service works (for a yearly subscription).

TRENDING THREADS