Keeping pets cool

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My daughter keeps Giant French Lop rabbits who live in a very large pen in the garage and have access to the garden. This hot weather they haven’t ventured outside until around 2100. They have thick coats even after their spring moult. So yesterday she froze some 2 litre milk bottles with water inside. She placed a couple into the run and 20 minutes later when she went into the garage both rabbits were laying together “ cuddling” the cold water bottle.

So she took another frozen bottle and placed it outside the Syrian hamsters cage about an inch away, as she didn’t want a frozen rodent. He also found his way to the area adjacent to the bottle and was fast asleep.

Think I could take a few cold beers to bed tonight 🙈

May 19, 2021
Visit site
Great idea. We have an Old English Sheepdog and he is struggling quite a bit in this weather 🥵 We are using a lot of doggy ice lollies and fans to try and make him more comfortable.

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
We used to use one of those blue "cooling mats" for our little "fluff ball".
Put the mat in the freezer for 10 minutes first....he loved it.🤗

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Great idea. We have an Old English Sheepdog and he is struggling quite a bit in this weather 🥵 We are using a lot of doggy ice lollies and fans to try and make him more comfortable.
I hope you have him trimmed short, although, is that the correct thing to do, as dogs Cool down through their tounges and not their skin. Our Skruffy labradoodle would sleep under the caravan or just sit in water, but he would do that in the winter as well.
Gel mats Imthink are the way,
Mel, I think has a fan cooler for her dog in the car a nice little unit.

Reactions: Bard Rooney
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The latest improvement is the air conditioning to the hamsters caboose. I told her it’s Syrian so it should tolerate heat. 47 years of being ignored. 🤫

BB1882DD-FD59-4068-861D-98265A0B4818.jpeg

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Many animals from cooler climates have a thick underlay of fur that keeps them warm in the winter. In the summer this same underlay protects them from the heat.
Our Shelties that we had in South Africa used to like lying in the blazing sun as the heat never affected them even when it was as high as 28C constantly. Same with our Norwegian Forest cats here in the UK as the hot weather does not seem to bother them.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Our two dogs one of them might in the sun but the short leg jack Russell likes the kitchen in his bed all year around I leave plenty cold water in there bowl

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Before he passed away 3 years ago,our rescued Springer,Spirit used to spend hours and hours playing in his paddling pool that we bought him.
Here he is just staring at his toys.
He had a terrible life before we rescued him.
Didn't know how to play with toys or what a ball was for.
He also loved balloons and would just parade around the garden gently holding onto it without popping it.
20130712_163207-1.jpg20170319_154444.jpg20170902_151233.jpg

What a character🥰

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Before he passed away 3 years ago,our rescued Springer,Spirit used to spend hours and hours playing in his paddling pool that we bought him.
Here he is just staring at his toys.
He had a terrible life before we rescued him.
Didn't know how to play with toys or what a ball was for.
He also loved balloons and would just parade around the garden gently holding onto it without popping it.
View attachment 2046View attachment 2047View attachment 2048

What a character🥰
You made sure he had a wonderful life and he was loved :)

May 19, 2021
Visit site
I hope you have him trimmed short, although, is that the correct thing to do, as dogs Cool down through their tounges and not their skin. Our Skruffy labradoodle would sleep under the caravan or just sit in water, but he would do that in the winter as well.
Yes, we have him shortish but not shaved. I’ve seen the gel mats but he doesn’t like to lie on anything at all 🙄 I like the sound of the fan cooler so I will check it out, thanks.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

By trimming them you will cut down the heat load on the dog that has to be dissipated via panting and evaporative cooling using the tongue and mouth.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts