Kerb Wieght

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
85% of the kerb of the car is quoted as max for safe caravan towing.

What is the definition of kerb weight?

Is the kerb wieght as quoted in car manual or is the wieght as quoted plus the wieght of towbar plus other fittings and laugage?

The reason I ask is my car manual shows 1297-1450 for same modil so accessories increase car wieght.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi Peter.I may be wrong but i understand the kerbweight is the weight of the car plus the driver and a tank of fuel.

Im sure someone here will correct me if im wrong.

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
You should find the kerb weight of the vehicle in the V5 logbook. Fitting a towbar will increase the kerbweight as will the addition of other accessories etc. I believe the UK definition (mass in service) excludes driver and fuel but the EU definition includes a 75kg driver plus 90% fuel. Have a look in the car hand book or possibly in the brochure for how it is defined (I've got a Ford and the brochure defines the EU spec, however it doesn't specify the weights of any of the accessories that may be fitted either by the factory or the dealer).

If all else fails you'll have to weigh it.

I'd guess though in a court of law, it's the number in the log book that would be used if there were any doubt

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Peter,

Do not be misled by the many that quote the 85% figure. It has no legal force, and it offers no guarantee of a safe tow.

The maximum weight a car can legally tow is defined by the manufacturere and is quoted in the relevant handbook for the car. this is derived from evidence based testing.

85% is an arbitrary figure devised by the UK caravan trade. No other country has a similar figure. However It does make good sense to keep the trailer as light as possible. It will improve the chances of a safe tow.

Weight ratios are only one of many factors that contribute to a safe towing experience You should pay as much attention to how you load the caravan to achieve the correct nose load, the conditoin of both the car and a the caravan tyres and suspension, and the biggest factor of all, your driving style.

If you outfit comes out at 89% it may still tow perfectly well.

Be warned though that some vehicles have a zero tow capacity or a capacity that is well below the Kerbweight. You must always check the limits with the relevant hand book, or dealer/manufacturer.

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
yes the 855 rule is only for your safety as much as anything else. i had a jeep grand cherokee when i got my twin axle van and the towing capacity was 3500kg, but the kerb weight of the car was only about 1800kg, meaning that when laden the caravan was actually heavier than the car and didn't make for nice towing at all, especially going down hills when the van was pushing into the car. i quickly changed to a land rover and it is a completely different experience and also under the 85%. it makes sence for safety and your comfort to apply the 855 rule unless you are confident at a higher figure.

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
Thanks everyone. Thats cleared a bit of confusion. To clarify kerb weight is what is stated in car manual plus any fitted accessories.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Stuart,

The 85% figure is definitely not a rule, it is only a guideline. It has no definition in law. I agree with teh principal of keeping the trailer weight as low as possible, but 85% is not guarantee of a good match.

Obtainig a good match is just as much about load distribution within the caravan, and the condition of tyres and suspension parts. (In fact the biggest factor in towing stability is the owners driving style and speed.

Weight ratios are only part of a much bigger picture.

criticises it because it implies it is safe figure, and some perol religiusly stick to it at the cost of keeping other equally importa aspects of an outfit

when in fact it can be totally unsafe in some combinations.

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
John, i know it's not a rule as in the letter of the law perhaps that was bad terminology!! but is is certainly a good guide to follow!!

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Kerbweight was never defined specifically although convention in the UK car industry was that it did not include the driver, but it did include a full fuel tank. Foreign manufacturers had a different interpretation. In order to harmonise standards, EC Directive 92/21/EEC was introduced industry-wide and this replaces the term kerbweight by 'mass in running order' (MIRO). This allows 75kg for the driver and miscellaneous items (such as warning triangle) and a 90% full fuel tank. Most manufacturers now publish their data according to the new standard, even though they may still call it 'kerbweight'.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts