Kia Sedona Auto

Aug 23, 2006
Visit site
Hi

Just wondering if anyone out there who tows with a Sedona has had any problems with the auto box.

Ours has had spells where it tows perfectlty for about 60 miles and then suddenly it will go from 5th at 2000-2250 revs to 2nd or 3rd at up to 4000revs.

The clincher is when it locks itself into safety mode in second gear.

If you go to N then back to D it will carry on perfectly.

Selecting manual does not help!

At all other times it drives perfectly and we've had no other problems.

Kia servicing have been really helpful and tell me they've other Sedonas with the same problem but only when towing.

Apparently Kia have not got a 'fix' yet.

It's a shame as we find when it's 'normal' it's a really useful tow car.

Unfortunately you can go miles towing blissfully well and then it's like a sci-fi film where the machine starts taking over.

Best regards

Tomo

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
Hi Tomo

What year is your Sedona? Ours is a 56 plate. We are having what seems the same problem, first happened in June on the way back from France thought we had noseweight too high but even after carefuly checking on the third journey later same thing happened again. Local dealer has looked and 'downloaded' gearbox update?? went away last weekend after about 100 miles of perfect towing on motorways and A roads, happened again, all we can manage to do is stop, it goes back to first gear and we have then used the sequential change to opereate gears. Local Kia dealer have aksed us to go away again as planned this weekend and if problem occurs call out Kia Assist as apparently we have this with our warranty so they can see it just after the problem has occured. Our main concern is that the 3 year warranty runs out next month and want it fixed before then. As you say it is a great towcar apart form the fact that you have to watch the speedo as you forget the van is there. I would be grateful to hear if anyone has any other news on this.

Ruth

Aug 23, 2006
Visit site
Hi Ruth

Our Sedonas on a 56 plate and runs out of warranty November.

Our dealer has been really great but admits they're between a rock and a hard place. They don't know exactly what the cause is and Kia don't have a 'fix' as yet.

Apparently they've a 09 car on a 58 plate with the same problem, in fact they have a few cars all tow cars with the same fault.

After I posted this enquiry I actually contacted Kia customer services, who again were very helpful, they told me that their technical people are working flat out to sort this problem, so they are aware of it.

They also say that if you have problem associated with this out of warranty you will be covered.

I would suggest that you do the same and contact Kia customer services so that they are aware you have the problem and you will be logged into their database.

Also it will put a bit more pressure on Kia to rectify the situation, I don't know about you but we found it quite hairy at times, especially stuck in traffic at 50 m.p.h in second gear, engine screaming. Switching to manual as I said didn't help at all as the box would not change in either.

From what I gather Kia are playing 'softly, softly catchee monkey' there's no recall as yet because there's no fix, and it only seems to affect cars that are towing.

The problem with you being towed back by Kia assist is that the problem probably won't show especially if it's temperature related.

The strange thing is our car did not suffer until we had the software upgrade in May when it was serviced, whether this can be put down to coincidence I don't know.

On the first tow afterwards at the end of May it started.

Best reagards

Tomo

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Hi Tomo

I purchased a sedona auto on an 06 plate in April of this year. I have been on 4 trips so far this year. The longest from Sheffield to North Wales, then after a few days to west Wales and after a week back to Sheffield. The last leg approx 200 miles. I not experienced the problem with the gearbox. I hope I have not tempted fate. I have not had it serviced since we bought it so I would say the upgrade to the software has not been done.

Steve

Aug 23, 2006
Visit site
Steve

We've had ours for just over a year. When we first bought it we took it straight to Cornwall, via a Bristol stop over and the same back. We must have done something like 8 trips with no problem, then just after the service it pulled a flanker. Strangely enough it first did it on the way back from the Wirral, this journey we did last year without a hitch.

I wouldn't worry though, as it doesn't seem to be affecting all cars, I think that's what's stunning them at the moment.

By the way I've been told there's a new Sedona coming out next October with the new, powerful 2.2 turbo diesel.

Produces more b.h.p and torque than the presnt 3.0litre. Apparently the same engines going into the Sorento.

Best regards

Tomo

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
Hi again Tomo

Thought we would let you know we have done our trip this weekend with differing results. Friday Co Durham to Glenrothes, no problems at all, distance just over 200 miles. Coming home today had to call KIA Assist, had flat on caravan on the A74(M) was alerted by truck driver so no extra damamage done. Round about Penrith, started to play up again so came home using the sequential box. Only difference we can see is that it was raining and cool on Friday and starting to get quite warm today, this may have something to do with it. Will be talking to our KIA dealer tomorrow and will let you know if we find out anything new.

Ruth

Aug 23, 2006
Visit site
Hi Ruth

Glad you came out of the puncture situation o/k.

We're off again at the end of the month to Anglesey about 140 miles so we'll see.

Will be interesting if it's cooler and we don't have the problem.

Keep in touch

All the best

Tomo

Jun 2, 2020
Visit site
Hi Tomo/Ruth,

I appreciate this is 14 years later but did either of you even get to the bottom of your issue? I've just purchased an 07 Kia Sedona Auto and it's been fine. Towed my caravan for the first time and had this issue with 2nd gear 3 times on my trip.
I've only just purchased this Kia and Caravan so thinking I need to return the Kia and get a refund from the Dealer!

Any advise would be helpful,

Thanks,

Dominic

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Dominic, welcome to the forum.
The original poster hasn't used this forum since August 2006 so he is unlikely to help.
If you recently bought the car from a dealer I strongly advise you to return it and ask for a repair or a refund under the Consumer Rights Act 2015.
There are well documented issues with Sedona automatic transmissions.
Click Here
As a matter of interest why did you choose a Sedona?
The Mk I Sorento if the factory recall work has been completed is a great towcar.

Jun 2, 2020
Visit site
Hi Parksy,

Thanks for the info - I was thinking I would just return. Not worth the hassle with the auto box. The only reason I chose the Sedona was because of the size, I wanted to seat 7 adults comfortably. It was a great price and was high spec (TV/DVD/Gaming, Leather etc..). Low mileage at 64k and just had the cambelt done by Kia so seemed a win-win. I was even willing to forgive the £560 road tax! My last two cars were £30 and Zero Road Tax! We also have a 2015 Nissan X-Trail (Auto) but no tow bar. We didn't want to put the miles on that but thinking of selling it to bank the cash and get something cheaper + caravan. My wife only drives auto and I've grown to enjoy them too but I might just have to convince her to go manual for a tow car. Less to go wrong and you have more control.

Dominic

Reactions: Parksy

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Having had a Sedona just before my latest car I have some info which may help, or not.
First of all they need regular gearbox fluid changes especially if towing as it gets very hot and loses its properties quite quickly.
Another weak point is the oil pump which is located on the end of the crankshaft, inside the engine.
There was an issue some time back and Kia did supply a different spacer, but it is almost impossible to know if your vehicle has had that change unless you have all the old paperwork to confirm.

The Sedona is getting old in the tooth and no new ones have been available in the UK for some considerable time.

Another weak point is the Air Con compressor which cost around £400 and mine lasted just over a year from being replaced.
Another weak point is the coolant pipes under the car to the rear heater matrix, they rust out and suddenly leave you overheating very quickly.

Jun 2, 2020
Visit site
Thanks Damian,

That's good info - just wished I'd maybe dug a little deeper on my research before buying. I knew the Sedona was older but a quick search prior to buying showed it was ok and I did not see any reference to specific issues. However, of course when you then have a specific search you find what you are looking for! The car is actually alot of car for the money but auto boxes and towing (no mater what car you choose) can be a weakness. Especially CVT (which I don't think the Sedona is). I might just resort to chasing a refund and returning the car. I was looking at Citroen C4 Grand Picassos initially but the Sedona seemed to offer better room for 7 adults. I have a modest budget of only £3k-£4k. Maybe a Ford Galaxy? Whatever I choose, I will go manual, the road tax is cheaper too!

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
With your budget the Citroen is best avoided. Cheaply made with very iffy electrics I used to dread them coming through the independent workshop I used to work in sometimes. The Grandis is a better bet. The 2.0 litre diesel was used by VW so will carry the high mileage that cars in your budget will carry. Avoid the petrol engines variant.
I think I’d be looking at the Galaxy/Alhambra/Sharan. Most were manual ( personally I prefer auto when towing) but the interiors can get pretty knocked about.
7 adults will be a squeeze, the two rearmost seats are quite tight and there’s little cargo space when fully occupied.
Avoid Renault Espace like the plague. Plenty of interior room but from bitter experience reliability was absolutely dire ( engine rebuild at 60k miles) and the interior just fell apart.
The Kia gearbox fault is now quite well known and appears to be a fault with either the input speed sensor or the output speed sensor. It’s a Mitsubishi gearbox I believe. May still be cost effective to have it looked at before abandoning ship as they are great cars otherwise.
I have used Brighton Automatics on many occasions with good results. 01273 722155

Jun 2, 2020
Visit site
Sorry to keep this going. We've found a 2005 Kia Sorrento 2.5crdi Auto in budget. Initial search seems positive (also chain cam) and no auto issues towing that I can see. Seems a good tow car for a 6 berth. Anyone have any info from experience? Good and Bad?

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
2004 Silver Nissan Terrano 3.0 DI SVE Station Wagon
1 Former Keeper 7 Seats FSH 88, 000 (Tri- Country Cars)
I cannot see any rust either
Look at the photo below

Attachments

• b01449b2d0404be284990fb5510bcfc6.jpg
    b01449b2d0404be284990fb5510bcfc6.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 6
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to keep this going. We've found a 2005 Kia Sorrento 2.5crdi Auto in budget. Initial search seems positive (also chain cam) and no auto issues towing that I can see. Seems a good tow car for a 6 berth. Anyone have any info from experience? Good and Bad?
Hi it a brilliant towcar enjoy

Reactions: Tuningdrew

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts