Kia Sedona Automatic

May 9, 2009
Visit site
I have purchased an 06 Kia Sedona automatic to tow my new caravan. Unfortunately there is no handbook in the car and I have not driven an automatic until last weekend but I am hoping to tow the caravan this weekend and would greatly appreciate some advice on towing with the car:-

1. There are 2 low gears, L and 2. When towing uphill in drive and the car is struggling can you change to 2 and then L whilst still accelerating?

2. Is it better to set off on a hill in the lower gear and again change into drive whilst accelerating?

3. In manual cars the engine brakes when you stop accelerating. In an auto. going downhill with the van on the back, do you put the car into 2 and allow the gearbox to slow the car down instead of applying the brakes all the time.

Any tips welcomed.

Thank you

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Can't help you at all with the automatic bit, but we used to tow with the manual version. Trust me, unless you are towing a twin axle laden with bricks up a 1 in 4 it won't struggle going uphill.

mel

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
Thanks Mel

Steve, I have an 08 Sedona diesel auto which tows my 1800Kg twin axle. It tows like a train. To answer your questions:

1. Leave it in full auto when accelerating and allow the box to sort it out. You can change gear whilst accelerating; I manually change BEFORE a steep incline to maintain speed and then go back to full auto once onto the hill.

2. If you're starting from stationary leave it in full auto.

3. Autos are designed to creep forwards on tick-over and won't give the same engine braking. However, a lower gear will provide more braking than a higher gear so will help if you need to to change down for steep hill (I wouldn't normally change down in most circumstances).

The Sedona is an excellent tow vehicle, have a great trip.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Steve

Congratulations on your new purchase, I don't own a Kia (yet) but I can offer a few pointers about towing with an auto gearbox.

For normal driving and towing just select D and the gearbox will do the rest. When approaching traffic islands or bends slightly more anticipation is required when towing with an automatic gearbox. Use the brakes to enter the island or bend at the correct road speed and then accelerate gently out to maintain traction and stability.

You might find that you need to approach bends, islands etc at a lower road speed than with a manual gearbox.

Low gears are rarely used except for slow positioning of your caravan, on ramps for levelling is one example where you might use them.

On a steep motorway incline you might shift manually down to a lower gear to prevent the gearbox from hunting up and down for the correct gear. Similarly lower gears can be selected to use engine braking on steep downhill stretches of road. The use of a lower gear can be useful with the caravan in heavy traffic to prevent the gearbox selecting a high gear and then you having to stop again.

There is a certain amount of engine braking when you lift from the throttle and experience with your particular car will reveal how much engine braking is available but a touch of footbrake will usually be enough to prevent the outfit from running away from you.

Try googling Kia Owners Club to pick up tips about your own car.

Good Luck

Dec 22, 2008
Visit site
hi steve, i have a sedona wich is the older shape.it has a 4 speed autoand just below the gear selecter button there is another button. if you push this button in it will select next lower gear. so if your in topgear (4) it will go into 3rd. this is ideal on long downhill runs. if you put it in 2 you might find this is too low and revs will go right up. kind regards raymond h.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts