Kia Sorento MPG

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 11, 2005
Visit site
Other Clive,

That's great going. Wish I could get near that. were you making an effort to get that sort of comsumption. It does not matter how much effort I put in overall It's about 22mpg (not much town driving). I spoke again with another service manager and he told me that 22 is all I should expect.
Tony,

no not really. I was two up with some luggage and cruise around 70mph on M ways. I am senstive to 'hoofing it' so I don't tend to give it lots of welly but I am not silly when accelarting away from lights etc. In fact in the Kia my average speeds are just about the same as in the wife's SAAB Turbo! Yours does seem to be on the low side. Has the daeler carried outa full diagnostic, perhaps you have an injector sticking/blocked?

Other Clive

Jun 11, 2005
Visit site
Other Clive,

That's great going. Wish I could get near that. were you making an effort to get that sort of comsumption. It does not matter how much effort I put in overall It's about 22mpg (not much town driving). I spoke again with another service manager and he told me that 22 is all I should expect.
Tony

I forgot to say that I do tend to ensuer that the aircon is off. But I do have an awful looking front appendage suplied free when I bought it and worth about

Jun 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

I have been unable to access the site since I moved over to IE7 beta version which allowed me onto the site, but it would not allow me to connect to 'Reply to topic'. So I have now gone to the free FIREFOX which browser that has all of IE7 faetures and works. Anyway what I wanted to say was that if you look in the UK Kia Forum site you will see others who have had problems with low mpg. It may be a ECU problem but Kia are not acknowldeging it, but there is a plan to identfy car VINs affected to see if there is a common link. Perhaps a remap could be an answer.

May 2, 2006
Visit site
Well, all this is quite frightening, as I am picking up a new XT tomorrow! I was hoping for mid 30s. Had bad mpg out of last car - Hyundai Tucson 2.0 ltr diesel - could never get more than 25 when the brochure says 35. Lots of letters from Hyundai - one says that the figures have nothing to do with day to day driving and are only intended as a comparison between various cars.

Interestingly Hyundai have offerred a modification to be fitted free of charge to improve fuel consumption and also rectify the mpg computer which is calibrated in US gallons. Hyundai (same Company as Kia) are obviously aware of the poor fuel consumption. Lets hope they've improved the new models

Some good deals around on the Sorento - probably due to new model later in the year - we got about

May 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi

Ive just changed my sorento for a Hyundai Santa Fe. One of my issues with the sorento was the fuel consumption. (the other was the hard ride) Im a very light footed driver and the best I could get was about 24/25mpg mine was a 2004 2.2 Automatic with 8000 mile on the clock when I sold it. Ive had the santa fe for 1 week and my fuel consumption is showing as 38mpg.Kia and other sorento owners say you need about 10,000 miles before the mpg improves.Look at the kia forum site www.kiasorento.proboards46.com you will find lots of sorento owners complaining about fuel consumption

Regards Jim

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

Ive just changed my sorento for a Hyundai Santa Fe. One of my issues with the sorento was the fuel consumption. (the other was the hard ride) Im a very light footed driver and the best I could get was about 24/25mpg mine was a 2004 2.2 Automatic with 8000 mile on the clock when I sold it. Ive had the santa fe for 1 week and my fuel consumption is showing as 38mpg.Kia and other sorento owners say you need about 10,000 miles before the mpg improves.Look at the kia forum site www.kiasorento.proboards46.com you will find lots of sorento owners complaining about fuel consumption

Regards Jim
James, I don't want to sound pedantic, but the Sorrento diesel is a 2.5 litre not a 2.2 litre. I think that a lot of these problems with fuel consumption are down to a simple fact. Many new owners of Sorentos are new owners to 4x4 cars in general. Large proportions have changed from a "normal" car, mainly due to the fantastic pricing structure by Kia, which makes them affordable. Looking at the brochure, the MPG doesn't seem too bad and many expect similar returns. This isn't realistic, not just with the Sorento, but with all makes of car, vehicles rarely equal published figures, unfortunately the thirstier a car is, the worse this seems. Anyone who has owned a similar 4x4 to the Sorento before purchasing one will find the fuel consumption more than acceptable, because they know what to expect. True there can be rogue cars that are genuinely faulty, and the dealers should pick these up, but it pays to be realistic when buying these types of cars. I have had several 4x4s and this, apart from my 1.6 Suzuki is the most economical yet despite being the heaviest. As for your Hyundai, I presume that it is the new 2.2 litre diesel, this too looks attempting buy, but is vastly overpriced compared to the Sorento, and is a fair bit lighter than the Sorento and with proportionate towing limits using the 85% guide.

I do hope you enjoy your new Santa Fe and look forward to any comments on your car (like I say, they look tempting) but I hope you didn't change your vehicle for the wrong reasons. What did you get for your Sorento PX?

Lol

Apr 4, 2006
Visit site
There is a basic web site set up that will give an e-mail address to send any info that people may have in connection to this issue.

Any useful info will be posted to help aid the quest in getting a resolution to the problem.

Site address www.sorento-mpg-issue.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Please send any info. I am going to fight this as far as I can and need as many people with the same problem to get involved so the correct focus will be given by consumer organisations/ the media.

Apr 12, 2006
Visit site
There is a basic web site set up that will give an e-mail address to send any info that people may have in connection to this issue.

Any useful info will be posted to help aid the quest in getting a resolution to the problem.

Site address www.sorento-mpg-issue.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Please send any info. I am going to fight this as far as I can and need as many people with the same problem to get involved so the correct focus will be given by consumer organisations/ the media.
All you Sorento owners out there

Just been to www.sorento-mpg-issue.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

People power !

We live in hope, do the same. Please :)

May 2, 2006
Visit site
James, I don't want to sound pedantic, but the Sorrento diesel is a 2.5 litre not a 2.2 litre. I think that a lot of these problems with fuel consumption are down to a simple fact. Many new owners of Sorentos are new owners to 4x4 cars in general. Large proportions have changed from a "normal" car, mainly due to the fantastic pricing structure by Kia, which makes them affordable. Looking at the brochure, the MPG doesn't seem too bad and many expect similar returns. This isn't realistic, not just with the Sorento, but with all makes of car, vehicles rarely equal published figures, unfortunately the thirstier a car is, the worse this seems. Anyone who has owned a similar 4x4 to the Sorento before purchasing one will find the fuel consumption more than acceptable, because they know what to expect. True there can be rogue cars that are genuinely faulty, and the dealers should pick these up, but it pays to be realistic when buying these types of cars. I have had several 4x4s and this, apart from my 1.6 Suzuki is the most economical yet despite being the heaviest. As for your Hyundai, I presume that it is the new 2.2 litre diesel, this too looks attempting buy, but is vastly overpriced compared to the Sorento, and is a fair bit lighter than the Sorento and with proportionate towing limits using the 85% guide.

I do hope you enjoy your new Santa Fe and look forward to any comments on your car (like I say, they look tempting) but I hope you didn't change your vehicle for the wrong reasons. What did you get for your Sorento PX?

Lol
Hi Lol

I did realise after I had posted that I should have put 2.5 litre not 2.2.

I got

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts