KIA Sorento Self-Levelling Suspension Failure.

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
Reading through several posts on here I see that there are many KIA Sorento and Hyundai Santa Fe owners.
I bought my current Sorento GT Line S new in 2018. It has now just covered 42000 miles and it is going in for the second time to have the rear suspension examined tomorrow.
It had the rear self-levelling shock absorbers replaced after 18 months because they had seized up and they appear to have seized up once again making the ride uncomfortably harsh.
I have discussed this with the service manager at the KIA dealership and he says it seems to affect Sorento's that are used for towing. However, over the five years of ownership, I doubt I've actually done 5000 miles with the caravan in tow taking into account the two years that Covid prevented a lot of travel.
Has anyone else experienced problems with the rear self-levelling shock absorbers seizing up on their KIA or Hyundai?

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi Paullus, although I can't help you directly, I have a 2014 Santa Fe, NON self leveling, and have never had a problem 87k miles now, probably towed about 30 k miles, a friend sent me this information to me, it may help yourself. Check the Kia Sorrento version.

Reactions: Paullus1959
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My SJ Forester had self levelling suspension where the shock absorber incorporated a dynamic pump as well as action as a shock absorber. The rear spring broke so I looked at the options. Having had Pedders units replace Mitsubishi Pajero electrically adjustable units on an off road car I knew their kit was good. So I had Pedders springs and shocks fitted to the Forester. It had done 50 k miles so the new unit’s regained its ride height too. The ride was much improved under load compared to the OEM units and the loss of self levelling did not make any difference even when loaded. The HID lights took their input from a sensor on the suspension arms so I still had SL headlights.
Fitting only cost around £60-70 and the whole replacement was cheaper than OEM Subaru parts, which were not available in any reasonable timeframe.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I had a 2011 Santa Fe with self-levelling suspension, sold with 50,000+ miles - no levelling issues apart from the rear damper gaiters needing replacement under warranty - I wonder if Hyundai/Kia have maybe never fixed the gaiter issue and that they allow debris to score the shaft, causing it to seize.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Both my Kia Sorentos had the self levelling shockers. Both extensively used for towing. The first one covered 110k miles before px still all original. IMO towing is not an issue assuming you are correctly loading and measuring your nose load

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
Thank you for the replies.
I have been checking the Pedders website regularly after speaking to them but, unfortunately they still don't make a kit for the Series 3 Sorento. Despite their close relationship, the Santa Fe shocks don't fit the Sorento.
I just hope I can get these changed under warranty again.

Reactions: Hutch
Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
I recently had my self levelling shocks replaced due to one of them leaking, Santa Fe 2016. Didn't have any issue's with them seizing up or towing. I originally got them from Aerosus in Germany, considerably cheaper than the dealers but, although they looked the part, had to be returned as they were faulty. Pedders do a non self-levelling kit to replace the original springs and shocks but didn't want to alter the car from original spec. I finally had to bite the bullet and have the genuine Hyundai shocks at a cost of £1288 fitted by an independent garage.

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
Fortunately for me, my main dealer has played ball. After telling me they couldn't find anything wrong and the shock absorbers weren't leaking I was invited to take a technician out for a test drive so I could point out the issue. Strangely, on the worksheet the problem I'd described was recorded as excessive noise from the rear suspension?!
Anyway, I was directed to a rough piece of road just around the corner from the dealership which had a series of large speed humps. I went over these no faster than 5mph and the techy said there was no noise but that definitely isn't right and told me to turn around and he'd follow me on foot to observe the car from the rear. When he got back in he said immediately that it needed new shock absorbers as the driver's side unit appeared to have seized up. The new ones are being fitted under warranty on Tuesday.
I haven't got a clue what the difference between the shock absorbers for the Sorento and the Santa Fe is.
The Pedders site is a little confusing because in the description for the Santa Fe kit, it also mentions that it fits the Sorento but, there isn't a kit listed for the Sorento. So, I contacted Pedders and I was told that a kit for the Sorento is in the pipeline.
The KIA service manager didn't know what the difference is either.
So, fingers crossed my Sorento will soon be a pleasure to drive again.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The Kia 7 year warranty is legendary👏👏
I took our Kia Rio in for service last Thursday and a leak on the windscreen washer pump was identified. Our dealership have ordered replacement parts and the parts and fitting will be covered under the warranty as it has a full service history. No quibble at all. At 6 years old it only has another year to run, but this is the first claim under its warranty, and a pretty minor one too. Now my grandson is in debate with BMW as the software for the rear view camera seems have developed a fault. BMW say it’s not covered in his warranty. But software updates are carried out OTA whilst driving so he cannot affect them.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
.... Now my grandson is in debate with BMW as the software for the rear view camera seems have developed a fault. BMW say it’s not covered in his warranty. But software updates are carried out OTA whilst driving so he cannot affect them.
The CRA also covers digital content.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The CRA also covers digital content.
Thank you, but it’s not reached that stage yet, although for a £125 fee to update software at the dealership he will no doubt look at the cost -benefit of a drawn out issue when he’s half way to buying a new house, and a new job, plus his Reserves training. But no doubt if he does pursue CRA his law degree and legal training will stand him in good stead.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
OC why should he pay for a software update if his has failed? You‘ve lost me??
It’s not been absolutely confirmed yet that it is a software glitch, but his car has progressive updates to software via OTA so it’s not like on mine where a discrete update is achieved by me inserting a 64 gb stick into the cars data port. So he’s not paid for a discrete update that’s not working. He’s challenged the warranty administrator to show him where software issues are excluded. He cannot see anything in the extended warranty documents that he holds.

But at the end of the day he’s got so much going on that he’s keen to get it resolved and working as his fiancé will use the 5 series PHEV and he will have a new Tesla for the new job. So on a cost benefit basis £125 isn’t that great a sum in the overall scale of things.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
My granddaughter got her first car a 2019 Volkswagen Polo 5 door and it was delivered to her home and couple of days later the heater pack up . she rang the car company it must have had a warranty they collected her car and drop another off as a replacement while the car was in for repair.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
My granddaughter got her first car a 2019 Volkswagen Polo 5 door and it was delivered to her home and couple of days later the heater pack up . she rang the car company it must have had a warranty they collected her car and drop another off as a replacement while her car was in for repair
Her dealer clearly understands CRA😉

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts