Kia Sorento - Towbar and ATC queries

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi folks

I raising this to try to get a definitive answer. My new 2007Kia Sorento Titan has reversing sensors fitted as standard. I have not yet got a towbar fitted.

I would like a Witter fixed towbar if possible as I use a Straightliner stabliser and Witter cycle carrier both of which bolt on with the towbar bolts. I am, also, considering an Alko extended towbar to use with the Alko hitch stabiliser. Ken Jervis, from whom I bought the car, suggested that the sensors might detect a fixed towbar when I am not towing. I see too on the Towequipe website that they warn that a fixed towbar might be "picked up" by the reversing sensors. I know that plugging in the caravan sockets should turn off the sensors if the correct wiring kit is used but I am concerned about problems with the towbar and reversing sensors when NOT towing.

Can anyone with a Titan and a fixed towbar please reply as to whether the towbar and reversing sensors have been a problem.

In addition to the above do any Sorento owners have a Witter towbar cycle carrier fitted and use an Alko hitch stabiliser? On my previous car, which had a rear mounted spare wheel, the cycle carrier bracket,which was angled to fit around the spare wheel was too close to the Alko hitch stabiliser when hitched up. The supplier of my caravan said that the hitch and cycle carrier were likely to collide on sharp turns and so I had the hitch stabiliser replaced with a standard hitch and used my Straightliner stabiliser. Now that I have the Sorenot, without rear wheel carrier, I am wondering about refitting the hitch stabiliser. How do people find the Alko stabiliser? I have been very pleased with the Straightliner which actually uses its gas strut to push the 'van back in line if it starts to swing out.

I am, also, thinking of having ATC fitted to my 'van, Bailey Senator 5 series. Has anyone had this fitted and how good is it?

Sorry for the many questions but I know there's alot of knowledge and experience on this forum.

Thanks

Tim

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tim

My my 2005 Sorie has the reversing sensors. She is fitted with Kia's own fixed tow bar, twin electrics and Al-ko extended ball. No trouble at all with the sensors.

Our Senator Wyoming came with ATS. I know it must be operational because the green light comes on once it has set itself.

I've yet to be in situation where it has activated and hopefully I never will. But it is there and I guess from a safety perspective it is good to have it. According to the various trials carried out by Bailey and Al-ko it does work. I know it can be retro fitted.

Good luck

Cheers

Alan

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

I have a Sorento with 5 sensors and use swan neck Brinkmatic detachable towball. When the towbal is fitted and I do not have the van coupled up the sensors do not activate any different to when I do not have the towball fitted.

Other Clive

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your many replies.

Yes I did post this question on a number of forums. I did this because of the conflicting evidence that I got from those who should have known better.

When phoning around for comparative quotes I asked about the reversing sensors as my supplying dealer had told me that I could NOT have a fixed towbar because of reversing sensors. I am keen to have a fixed towbar as I have a Witter bike bracketand a Straightliner stabliser bracket which bolt onto the towbar.

The results from the 5 Kia dealers were 3 who said "yes it would be a problem" and 2 who said "no it wouldn't". None of these dealers inspired much confidence with most having to go to Kia UK Technical advice as they didn't know what a 1`3 pin Euro socket was??!!

The quotes also ranged from

Oct 22, 2007
Visit site
If it turns out to be a problem then just fit a switch to isolate the sensors. My Rav has one as standard set in the side in the boot area so you can turn them off if need be. If you're local to Stoke (with getting the motor from Ken Jervis) is the towbar fitting place Towtall?? if so they are absolutely spot on, did my Rav in 2 hours -detachable towabar and all electrics, Toyota were quoting at least 4 hours. They or any other decent fitter could fit an isolating switch when the bar was fitted.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Make sure that you stay araound to see the towbar fitted. I was amazed at what had to be removed from the back inside of the car, and if the Witter is like my Brink then the main chassis rear cross member has to be removed and the tow bar then becomes the rear cross member. Also you will need to ensure that the spare wheel removal and return process still works. It is the biggest towbar job that I have had carried out on any car so far. I'd make sure the fitter has done a couple of Kias beforehand.

Cheers

Other Clive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts