Kia Sorento

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

I am thinking of buying a second hand 2.5 XS Sorento and I am having major problems finding a manual version.Has any body got any reports on the auto version. I am a little concerned about cooking the auto box.I will be towing a 1400kg Elddis,Cyclone EX2000 (Fully laden weight) I know the van is well within the 85% recommendation and its nose weight is O.K. I spoke to a dealer and they said the fitting of a extra oil cooler (such as a Kenlow)for the box may invalidate the warrenty on the vehicle.Also I have a concern about the extra fuel used by a auto compared with a manual version.I currently have a 4X4 manual and last year the box seemed to get very hot while coming out of Cherbourg and the vehicle had a full lube service including the gearbox oil only a month previous.

Thanks Rob.

Apr 3, 2005
Visit site
Hi rob, we have a manual sorento, i had the same reservations as you, our Bailey Senator weighs 1500kg and i dont know its there! i would suggest hanging on for a manual, best wishes. Andrew.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Hi Rob

I am looking at buying the Sorento auto. I thought problems towing with autos went out with the eighties?

Am i wrong? I presumed that with modern autos we were ok.

Could someone let us know before i waste my money, as my caravan weighs 1500kg.

Cheers, Chris P

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Rob,we have an 03 reg.2.5 XS auto Sorento.Done just over 27000 miles and about 3000 miles towing a 1600kg van.Never had a problem with auto box.One thing that does annoy me is it changing down a gear pulling up hills when if you had a manual box it would pull quite easily in 5th gear.Saying that I would still have the auto and cruise control any day.Regarding mpg we get 26mpg no matter what speed it's driven at.Tried driving at 55 mph up to 80 mph and the difference is hardly noticeable.Towing we are getting 23-24mpg at a steady 60.Hope this helps.

Tom.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Rob, I've towed with autos for more years than I want to remember!Always with powerful motors tho. Last ten years with Range Rovers, Which must surely be the ultimate towcar(or is that opening up another subject?) Go for the auto and relax!

emmerson

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Rob, I've towed with autos for more years than I want to remember!Always with powerful motors tho. Last ten years with Range Rovers, Which must surely be the ultimate towcar(or is that opening up another subject?) Go for the auto and relax!

emmerson
Follow on from my previous post.The range Rovers Have all been elderly, the current one being 1989 v8 on LPG for econpmy. Any comments? Emmerson

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

Your comments are very reassureing,I am connected to the motor trade in the aspect of training. I spoke to a Kia dealership today and they said that the oil cooler is in place via the normal rad system which is a age old system, but they assured me that I would have no problems towing 1400kgs with the auto and these guys I trust as I have dealt with them for many years training their apprentice's.

They have checked with Kia U.K and they have confirmed that Kia U.K does not do a aux oil cooler for the Sorento auto as it is just not required.

As for the vehicle a dealership I deal with who are Rover and Kia franchise has just gone into receivership due to the Rover problem and they have a 54 plate 2.5X.S auto fully loaded which they will let me have at below Black Cap or Glasses guide trade buy in price to realise their assessets. Its even in my required colour black and was adealer special called the Tiger Shark, All Black and fitted with front nose (wild) over rider,just got to agree a price?

Thanks for the advice Rob

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Hi Rob,

I bought a new auto (Tiptronic) Sorento XS a couple of months back and have towed my Typhoon GTI (1500kg) twice since then.

I had the same worries about how the auto box would perform, but these were ill found.

It performs 1st class when towing, change up is effortles and slides into fifth at 55mph no problem and continues to pull from there without change down.

I can choose the tiptronic option for long slow pulls or if I require some engine breaking.

The only reservation I have is it does not meet the manufactures fuel figures, but hopefully as the miles increase it should hopefully improve.

My first impression are I did the right thing in buying an auto, all in all a first clas vehicle.

John

Apr 5, 2005
Visit site
HI, WE OWN A 04 PLATE KIA SORRENTO MANUAL X5. I AM BRITISH FORCES BASED IN GERMANY AND WE TOW A GERMAN WILK CARAVAN WITH AN UNLADEN WEIGHT OF 1300KG. THE KIA PULLS LIKE A DREAM AND IT IS EASY TO FORGET THE CARAVAN IS ON THE BACK. THIS IS A TOP TOW CAR. CAN I MENTION THAT I AM SELLING THE CAR AT A TAX FREE PRICE IN AUGUST 05. WE ARE UPGRADING STAYING WITH THE SORRENTO BUT ARE AFTER A PRIVATE SALE. A GOOD PRICE GUARANTEED WE BUY TAX FREE AND ARE WILLING TO SELL AT TAX FREE PRICES. FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT dawnallsopp527@hotmail.com

Apr 5, 2005
Visit site
HI, WE OWN A 04 PLATE KIA SORRENTO MANUAL X5. I AM BRITISH FORCES BASED IN GERMANY AND WE TOW A GERMAN WILK CARAVAN WITH AN UNLADEN WEIGHT OF 1300KG. THE KIA PULLS LIKE A DREAM AND IT IS EASY TO FORGET THE CARAVAN IS ON THE BACK. THIS IS A TOP TOW CAR. CAN I MENTION THAT I AM SELLING THE CAR AT A TAX FREE PRICE IN AUGUST 05. WE ARE UPGRADING STAYING WITH THE SORRENTO BUT ARE AFTER A PRIVATE SALE. A GOOD PRICE GUARANTEED WE BUY TAX FREE AND ARE WILLING TO SELL AT TAX FREE PRICES. FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT dawnallsopp527@hotmail.com
sorry, please can i amend my messsage the kia for sale is an an XS manual and not an X5 (i can dream!!!!)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Rob,

I bought a new auto (Tiptronic) Sorento XS a couple of months back and have towed my Typhoon GTI (1500kg) twice since then.

I had the same worries about how the auto box would perform, but these were ill found.

It performs 1st class when towing, change up is effortles and slides into fifth at 55mph no problem and continues to pull from there without change down.

I can choose the tiptronic option for long slow pulls or if I require some engine breaking.

The only reservation I have is it does not meet the manufactures fuel figures, but hopefully as the miles increase it should hopefully improve.

My first impression are I did the right thing in buying an auto, all in all a first clas vehicle.

John
Hi John,

How do you go on with the self levelling system, does it compensate correctly.On my van it can have a nose weight of up to 100 kg but I try to keep to about 75-85kg at tops. I know this may sound daft but how comfy are the seats over long distance? I did not manage to pull of the deal on the Sorento Tiger Shark but I felt much more assured about going over to auto after reading other people's comments on auto's.I have owned 4 autos in the past and I must admit only one packed in and this was put down to me cooking the box due to undue pressure from towing, even though at the time I was towing a folding Pennine camper weighing now more than 725kg fully laden. So you can see my concerns about auto's ( may look forward of going back to auto and cruise, it's an extention to the holidays and towing (RELAXED)

Thanks Rob

Apr 26, 2005
Visit site
Abit of advice DAWN ,, HMCe could be reading this be carefull
We have a 53 plate XS auto and also had concerns re the auto box. Our dealer assured us there would be no probs and we have had none to date. We tow a Swift Conqueror 630 so could not go much heavier (tho' there is only 2 of us) and the Kia beahaves impeccably. I just turn the key, pop it into Drive and treat the journey as part of the holiday.

Good luck and enjoy!

Apr 26, 2005
Visit site
******! hit the wrong button. Just did a cut and paste to put it in the right place. Sorry.

We have a 53 plate XS auto and also had concerns re the auto box. Our dealer assured us there would be no probs and we have had none to date. We tow a Swift Conqueror 630 so could not go much heavier (tho' there is only 2 of us) and the Kia beahaves impeccably. I just turn the key, pop it into Drive and treat the journey as part of the holiday.

Good luck and enjoy!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
******! hit the wrong button. Just did a cut and paste to put it in the right place. Sorry.

Good luck and enjoy!
Well,

Took a Sorento 2.5XS auto out to-day and I was suprised at it handling. Put it into some tight corners at 50+ mph and the salesman was twitching a little. Undulated roads ok nice and smooth. Brakes seemed a little soft at times and there seemed to be a little pitching at the rear. Another test with caravan next week as this model did not have a bar fitted,but so far so well.

The current 4x4 I have has very hard suspension compared with Sorento so it seems a little wollowy.

Here's hoping

Rob.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I've just taken delivery of a 2005 Sorento 2.5 CRDI EX Auto and in the first thousand miles although nursing it got no better than 23 mpg.

Is this standard for the auto model?

I am over the moon with the car otherwise but expected it to be better on fuel the my diesel Discover.

I have a standard Brinks towbar on it with 2 setting and at present got mine on the higher of the 2 setting. Anyone else with the same bar fitted as mine seems a little high?

Oct 5, 2004
Visit site
Hi all,

We've had a 2.5 XE manual since last October and found the mileage to be not too bad. Just back from a few nights at Craigie Gardens in Ayr and done just over 350 miles - around 150 of them towing a Senator Wyoming (1600kgs'ish). Always been a bit of an anorak when it comes to checking mpg and check it by brimming the tank each time. This journey it averaged 33.4mpg. 75% of the towing was on dual carraigeway/motorway sitting at a steady 60. The XE runs in 2 wheel drive normally whereas the XS is permanent 4 wheel drive. Maybe this extra drag is making some of the difference??

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi all,

We've had a 2.5 XE manual since last October and found the mileage to be not too bad. Just back from a few nights at Craigie Gardens in Ayr and done just over 350 miles - around 150 of them towing a Senator Wyoming (1600kgs'ish). Always been a bit of an anorak when it comes to checking mpg and check it by brimming the tank each time. This journey it averaged 33.4mpg. 75% of the towing was on dual carraigeway/motorway sitting at a steady 60. The XE runs in 2 wheel drive normally whereas the XS is permanent 4 wheel drive. Maybe this extra drag is making some of the difference??
Hi Ken,

the sorento XS 2.5 and 3.5 is not permanant 4 w.d, the system is derived that should the front wheels start to slip the front wheels will engage, Other wise it is permanant 2 R.W.D and will engage the front when required.

Rob

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts