kia Sorento

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
I am looking at a new to me Towcar and have my eye on a 2018 KX2 Sorento , does anyone tow with this vehicle ? how do you find it ? My van is 1500mtplm
Any feedback would help
Many Thanks

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
We towed a 1900 kg Swift with our 2014 KX2 Auto. Fantastic car, comfortable, quick, towed beautifully. Very economical and apart from a failed radio aerial absolutely faultless in 4 years/60,000 miles.
Probably the best car I’ve ever owned.

Dec 22, 2019
Visit site
We have only had our 2013 KX2 Auto for 3 months and towed our 1725kg twin axle without issue. 600 mile round trip to Scotland on Thursday and looking forward to seeing how it performs and if it continues to deliver 28mpg towing

Reactions: Bluerocket
Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Amdram

Decision made after further research and test drive at dealers very smooth driving an auto , definitely a more enjoyable experience on a long drive when towing , so looking forward to getting out soon

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
We tow a Coachman Pastiche 7.6m with a KX3 and never had a problem up hill & down dale with it. We tow to Spain & back regularly and it goes like a dream. Suggest you go for the auto, stick it on Cruise Control at 60 and sit back & relax. Will return you about 28mpg with a heavy caravan or a bit more with a lighter one.
Mike

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Scorpy
I won't be doing the mileages you do but it shows that I've made a good choice for my budget , looking forward to towing with an automatic and a less tiring drive to wherever we go
Thanks

Reactions: Scorpy
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Amdram

Decision made after further research and test drive at dealers very smooth driving an auto , definitely a more enjoyable experience on a long drive when towing , so looking forward to getting out soon
Just a quick thought, You tell us the Sorento will be a new tow car for you, and as many have pointed out it has a very good reputation I'm sure it will do well for you.

I note your caravans has an MTPLM of 1500kg, and the Kia should manage that very well. However the Kia is already a heavy vehicle, and I know most models have a kerbweight starting at close to 2000kg which means its GVW figure will certainly exceed 2000kg. This will mean the combined MAM of your outfit will be greater than 3500kg, and thus your driving licence must have cat BE on it for you to drive it legally.

If you passed your test prior to 1997 you will be fine. But if you passed after in 1970 or later the basic licence only has Cat B which limits you to a car and braked caravan with a "combined MAM not exceeding 3500kg". (i.e. Cars MAM or GVW + Caravans MAM or MTPLM<=3500kg)

MAM stands for the Maximum Authorised Mass and uses weight limits not measured weights.

If you only have Cat B you will need to take the BE extension test.

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
Just a quick thought, You tell us the Sorento will be a new tow car for you, and as many have pointed out it has a very good reputation I'm sure it will do well for you.

I note your caravans has an MTPLM of 1500kg, and the Kia should manage that very well. However the Kia is already a heavy vehicle, and I know most models have a kerbweight starting at close to 2000kg which means its GVW figure will certainly exceed 2000kg. This will mean the combined MAM of your outfit will be greater than 3500kg, and thus your driving licence must have cat BE on it for you to drive it legally.

If you passed your test prior to 1997 you will be fine. But if you passed after in 1970 or later the basic licence only has Cat B which limits you to a car and braked caravan with a "combined MAM not exceeding 3500kg". (i.e. Cars MAM or GVW + Caravans MAM or MTPLM<=3500kg)

MAM stands for the Maximum Authorised Mass and uses weight limits not measured weights.

Thanks Prof

I passed my test in 1978 and have a class 1 LGV Licence but thanks for your info and taking time out to reply
Many Thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Prof

I passed my test in 1978 and have a class 1 LGV Licence but thanks for your info and taking time out to reply
Many Thanks
That's fine, I hope you appreciate there are an increasing number of drivers who are post 1996 passes, and theos that are are often buying larger vehicles now, and unless they check (and some don't) they might not realise the 3500kg limit. Unless the questioner tells us when thy passed, I feel we are duty bound to to raise the issue, just incase.

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
That's fine, I hope you appreciate there are an increasing number of drivers who are post 1996 passes, and theos that are are often buying larger vehicles now, and unless they check (and some don't) they might not realise the 3500kg limit. Unless the questioner tells us when thy passed, I feel we are duty bound to to raise the issue, just incase.
Hi Prof

Completely agree with all you say Proff , as there will be new inexperienced people joining the caravanning fraternity given current restrictions on foreign travel
Over the years I've had some very useful helpful tips and suggestions from good people on this forum , so keep posting Prof
Many Thanks

Feb 16, 2020
Visit site
Hi

Have towed with a sorento since 2003 am know on my 6th one have a KX3 at moment with the 8 speed auto tows our 1800kg van with no problems take it to the south of france each year and it's just so easy to drive

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Another vote here. (although I have a new Santa Fe (my 3rd) almost same car in many ways.
8 speed auto box makes driving so much more relaxed.
And I will be winging my way around France shortly (Covid19 permitting) including, as Alan C does, stopping for 3 weeks on the Mediterranean, in my case at Saint Clair and then Cassis.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I had a 2011 Santa Fe automatic, same underneath as Sorento of that age - as a towcar it was fine, even towing off a muddy festival site on summer road tyres while a Discovery got stuck - had to have the engine/transmission rebuilt under warranty as the head gasket blew at 34,000 miles.

Dec 22, 2019
Visit site
Well the drive upto Scotland proved effortless with the 1725kg behind and fully loaded car. the car never struggled always in control returning average 27mpg. Really pleased. Back home on Sunday. Over the next couple of months trips to Grassington, Whitby & Edinburgh so the car will continue to get a good try out.

Reactions: Johnb
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi

Have towed with a sorento since 2003 am know on my 6th one have a KX3 at moment with the 8 speed auto tows our 1800kg van with no problems take it to the south of france each year and it's just so easy to drive
Kia sorento sounds like a great towcar and very reliable if you are on your 6th .

Reactions: JezzerB
Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
Well the drive upto Scotland proved effortless with the 1725kg behind and fully loaded car. the car never struggled always in control returning average 27mpg. Really pleased. Back home on Sunday. Over the next couple of months trips to Grassington, Whitby & Edinburgh so the car will continue to get a good try out.
Hi Amdram
Hope the weather is being kind to you up there , picked my Sorento up Monday and really impressed with it , out with the van in tow soon so looking forward to that
Stay safe stay well

Reactions: Scorpy
Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
I am looking at a new to me Towcar and have my eye on a 2018 KX2 Sorento , does anyone tow with this vehicle ? how do you find it ? My van is 1500mtplm
Any feedback would help
Many Thanks
First trip out with new to me Sorento and what a pleasure to drive , with van in tow, very stable and auto box made life much easier for me and great for reversing , looking forward to venturing further afield next year , trip up to Oban and West Coast of Scotland .

Attachments

• 20200809_163320.jpg
    20200809_163320.jpg
    1,011.2 KB · Views: 7
Dec 22, 2019
Visit site
Looks good. Ours performed perfectly during our trip to Scotland and 700 miles without issue. Caravan never caused the car any issues and always felt I had more than enough power in reserve should I need it. Really pleased with it

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
Looks good. Ours performed perfectly during our trip to Scotland and 700 miles without issue. Caravan never caused the car any issues and always felt I had more than enough power in reserve should I need it. Really pleased with it
Thanks Amdram
yes I agree with you on the power, for an auto its not sluggish very pleased with my choice of tug
Happy Caravanning

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts