Kia Sorrento

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have a Sorrento and are only getting 25mpg solo.This is mainly motorway driving at 75-80 mph.Love the car but am a bit dissapointed with the mpg.Is this about right or have we got a problem with ours? Thanks for any replies.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tom, 25 mpg at that spped is quite normal for a 2ton 4 wheel drive vehicle with a 2.5 ltr diesel engine.But you will find if you slow down to 60 mph you will easy get 35 mpg.The faster you go the more it costs you GS

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tom, what did you expect driving at those speeds, i have a Sorrento & get 30+ mpg but keep it at 70 or under, no car will do the manafactures mpg figures at 70+ mph.

Andy

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for your replies.Before I bought the car i did my homework looking on the net, reading 4x4 and caravan magazines and talking to other owners.I also find that driving at 65-70 mph gives me 26mpg instead of 25 mpg.Taking this into account I will ask the same question,is there a problem with my car?I hope someone can shed light on the situation before it goes in for its 20,000 mile service.Thanks once again.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If fuel economy is important to you then sell it and buy a normal car. My diesel estate car does more mpg towing than yours does solo. It also has refinement levels, performance and roadholding that a 4x4 driver could only dream about. We tow a 1600 kgs caravan and in ten years of towing have never needed a 4x4. If you want one then fine but poor economy is just one of several drawbacks.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tom, I will be watching to see if you get any further response as the MPG seems low to me. I ordered a Sorento last week, did my homework and was expecting better. Still anticipating enjoying the Great Driving position, refinement and getting off soggy pitches even if it comes at a premium. For the first time we have gone automatic, is yours if so how does it perform.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
buy a passat 1.9tdi 100bhp or mondeo 2.0 115 bhp

both cars solo 55 to 63 mpg

towing a 1300 kg elddis cyclone...31 mpg

buy to vw for build quality

buy to ford more more toys on board

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tom, there are so many variables to result in poor mpg.

First is the weight of your right foot, are you one of the "heavy" lot, who hit the floor to get quick acceleration, or are you "light" footed and gently build up speed, and as importantly, how do you slow down, by hitting the brakes only when you have to, or reading the road and slowing well before the actual stop position.

Secondly, do youo drive with windows open a lot of the time, or aircon ON a lot of the time, both increase fuel consumption, quite dramatically. Thirdly, do you have a roofbox, or roof bars fitted? again, they reduce fuel economy.

Lastly, as previously atated, fuel figures are given as a guide ONLY, and arrived at under strict test track conditions, NOT round the normal roads, and no fuel figures include drving at 60 to 70 mph for prolonged periods, it is well known that the optimum speed for best fuel consumption is 55 mph.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I was hoping for a few more constructive answers on this forum rather than telling me how to drive,change my car,alter my speed,etc.Dave we have a caravan weighing 1600kgs so need a heavy car.Karen what car do you tow with? Colin we have the 2.5 xs auto and find the car superb.After talking to many Sorrento owners I still think we should be getting nearer to 30mpg.It's going in for 20000 mile service on Wednesday so maybe they might find a problem.Keep me informed when you get yours.Would still like to here from any Sorrento OWNERS.Thanks.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Why don't people answer the question instead of bleating on about how to drive or change your car !! Tom - if I keep my mph tp 70mph or below the mpg is a lot greater than above 70mph. I don't see agreat lot of difference when towing or doing above 70mph the return is very similar. I tow a 1600kg TA and are very happy with the KIA.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts