Kia Sportage 1.6d

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Just wondering if anybody has experience towing with the new Kia Sportage 1.6d. I’m aware my MTPLM of 1316kg means technically things will be ok but I’m wary the car may be underpowered.
Currently tow with a mondeo 2l diesel estate.
Also looking at the Tiguan but the Kia seems great value for everyday use.
Probably only going to be towing occasional short distances for weekends away now.
Thanks.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello scrancat.

Welcome to the forum.

You dont give us enough information about your proposed car. Apparently it comes with two versions of the 1.6D 114 or 134bhp outputs.

The conventional advice suggests that you need about 40BHP per tonne to provide adequate performance. But experience of modern turbo deisels you can usually get away with 35bhp per tonne The information I have seen suggests the kerbweight is about 1600 coupled to the caravan MTPLM of 1316 gives an all up weight of 2916kg

Based on the 35Bhp per tonne you should just be alright. However the performance will not be sprinkling. it wold be better with the more powerful engine.

Several motoring magazines seem to suggest its really worth considering some of the Kia's competition, whether that remains true when considering towing I'm not sure.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
It will be fine; if you drive accordingly.
To clarify we had till recently a PETROL 1.6 Dacia Duster 4x4 with 106bhp and a towing capacity of 1500kg. We towed a 1450kg Pegasus Verona and it was brilliant-just on motorways overtaking needed a drop of gears to 4th -and read the road ahead-hills required a drop downBUT we travelled at the legal limit and it did 24mpg towing. WE did Scotland in Hurricane Brian !

What I am saying is if you drive accordingly power isn't an issue. Even the lower powered Kia will manage if it is rated to tow the weight you want but the higher powered one will mean you have a more relaxing drive.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
If they are following the new Tucson engines then the current models are as follows - 1.6GDi 132PS, 1.6TGDi 177ps manual or auto, then the others are 48v hybrids 1.6CRDi 136ps manual or auto or 2.0CRDi 185ps auto only. All are 2WD except the 2.0 which is only available 4WD.
You will have a different choice of configs if you buy an outgoing model or nearly new.
Not sure if this helps much, but adds to the info on the forum anyway!
Hire and try might be a good way forward, although this presumably could not include towing. Good luck with your search!

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
As far as I’m aware only the basic model is 114bhp and the others are 134bhp.
Not sure if I’d miss the pulling power of the mondeo but doubt I’ll be long distance towing any more.
Haven’t seen many Sportages on sites and I know they no longer produce the 2l diesel.
Anyway,still early stages of looking.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts