Kia Sportage 2.0 XE

Oct 30, 2005
Visit site
I have been driving a Renault Grand Scenic 1.6 petrol for the past three years towing a Bailey Ranger which was just on the limit with weight ratio. My fuel economy not towing was very good, a respectable 40mpg but while towing it dropped to just 25mpg. Last November I bought a new caravan, a Caravelair Ambiance 450, weight ratio being very similar but it does not tow as good as the Bailey. In May I am changing it for a new Kia Sportage 2.0 XE turbo diesel which has an overall fuel economy of 39mpg. I have heard nothing but commendations from many people for this car. A lot of people will think this is a 4 x 4 but really it stays as a 2 wheel drive until the need for 4 wheel drive is required.

Does any have any more views on this particular car?

Apr 5, 2007
Visit site
I have got a Sportage, bought it last May. We have towed in France and Spain. The worst towing I have had is 25mpg in UK and best 35mpg in Spain at 50mph on their empty motorways.

Prior to this vehicle I had a Freelander TD4 which was better on fuel, but I think the real advantage is that the Sportage has a 6 speed box and so far I have not felt that I would get stuck or really have to slip the clutch to get away on a steep hill. My wife also finds it a lot more comfortable than the Freelander.

One issue though is filling up. Just because the pump clicks off, it will still take about another 2 gallons. It takes a lot longer to fill than any other car I have had.

So far very pleased.

Alex

Oct 30, 2005
Visit site
I have got a Sportage, bought it last May. We have towed in France and Spain. The worst towing I have had is 25mpg in UK and best 35mpg in Spain at 50mph on their empty motorways.

Prior to this vehicle I had a Freelander TD4 which was better on fuel, but I think the real advantage is that the Sportage has a 6 speed box and so far I have not felt that I would get stuck or really have to slip the clutch to get away on a steep hill. My wife also finds it a lot more comfortable than the Freelander.

One issue though is filling up. Just because the pump clicks off, it will still take about another 2 gallons. It takes a lot longer to fill than any other car I have had.

So far very pleased.

Alex
Thanks for your reply Alex. Another good thing about the Sportage is the CO2 emissions. On the Renault 1.6 Grand Scenic the emissions are put down as 198 but on the Sportage they are 194.

Aug 23, 2006
Visit site
Hi Ernest we bought a Sportage 2ltre XS diesel in May last year. We traded a Fiat Multipla in as it was a little low in the weight stakes for the new van. Up to press we've been very pleased, haven't towed as far as Alex has yet but reckon we get upper 20's to lower 30's towing and about 34-36 solo, but that's mainly around town. We tow a Bailey Pageant Burgundy so it's a reasonably sized van and the Sportage manages it admirably well. Your Sportage I imagine will be the face lifted one with uprated suspension, indicators on the left etc. so it should be great.

Leave ours in 2 wheel drive and it's only cut into 4 wheel on muddy ground.

The cruise control is really good as well and also the heated seats if you,ve got them are brilliant in winter.

All in all really glad the guy at the caravan dealers recommended it, no regrets at all, really fancied the Sorento but think we might have regretted the fuel consumption.

Finally by the way if you have rear sensors fitted make sure you have a cut out switch fitted for towing.

All the best

Tomo

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts