KIA SPORTAGE 2005

Hi,

We have now got our 2.0 petrol Kia Sportage (new version). Have now been driving it since end of May and am very pleased. It drives and handles superbly. The only down side to this impressive motor is the car seems to drink the fuel more so than is stated in the spec, and, from time to time i have to let my partner drive it!

I recently towed my caravan 1350kgs and it handled the job adequatly, however going up a long hill did incur a loss of engine power with no spare under the bonnet and I had to drop down in gear. Think i'll try and steer clear of steep hills although i'm sure i'll get up eventually, also i am thinking of sticking a post it note over my fuel guage so I can't see it plummet so quickly!

Has anyone else towed with this vehicle yet?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

Discussed new sportage with a few Kia technicians last week and found it to be unsuitabe to my needs due to the weight of my van which is quite heavy, and we got on to the discussion of fuel consumption of the deisel unit which one customer had questioned with the dealership. It seems the on board computer is set up for U.S gallons and not U.K gallons and shows a higher fuel consu mption due to the diffrential between the two measurements. Now I know this will not effect the fuel gauge but if you do the tried and tested method of filling your tank up, setting your trip meter to zero, then after a period of time refilling your tank and recording your milage you will be able to get a accurate fuel consumption figure wether it be miles to gallon or miles to the litre.

Rob

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Frankly I don't believe the reports about Sportage and Hyundai Tucson fuel consumption figures being excessively high because the system is calibrated in US gallons instead of Imperial. There are plenty of complaints to be found of high fuel consumption on American websites and the same complaint is made in European countries where the consumption is measured in litres per kilometer. The actual consumption figures are in my opinion not excessively high for vehicles of this class; it's just the claims by Kia and Hyundai that are misleading.

Hi,

Mike you are kind of right. The miles per gallon that the car runs by is a conversion from the Australian US gallon. I believe because the US gallon is smaller than the British gallon the figures don't add up, and I am just going to have to get use to running a car I am very pleased with, filling up with petrol more than I would wish for.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts