Nov 25, 2007
Visit site
Hi All

After a few years of mulling over whether or not to buy a caravan we finally took the plunge and in October last year ordered a Bailey Ranger 500/5 from the show at the NEC which we picked up in March.

We had a lot of hassle getting a suitable tow car for this as we had been told a diesel renault scenic would be ok and of course it wasn't! So we ended up getting a 56 reg kia sportage in February this year.

About six weeks ago we noticed the air con wasn't working so took it back to a kia dealer to check. After a week of working on the car they said they didn't know what was wrong but we had to take the car back as we were due to go on holiday to france.

Just as well it wasn't too hot and we didn't really miss the air con. As soon as we got back we took the car back to the garage. After another week they have admitted that they don't have a clue what is wrong. They have put a new air con unit in, tried loads of other things but nothing works.

Hubby told them yesterday that he wants to hand the car back and for them to find us another one.

So for the time being it's no vanning for us, cos although they've given us a courtesy car it's only a 1.4 petrol cee'd and even if it did have a tow ball on it wouldn't pull the van.

Would be interested to know if anyone else has had any similar problems.

Thanks

Margaret

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi, try Googling 'Kia Uk Forums' its a dedicated Kia site and there are at least two expert technical advsiors who provide input. This would give you an idea if others have had problems and how they were fixed.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Sorry in your case you need Kia Sportage Forum and from a quick look at least one of the Sorento advisers is involved with the Sportage Forum

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
Bad luck with your Sportage - but don't give up on them because they really are excellent tow cars, and one of the best towing bargains around at the moment.

I know that it's no comfort to you but we've had ours for a year now, and after 16,000 miles it's running perfectly - which, I think, is the norm for them, so your next one will almost certainly be good.

At the time of purchase I was very tempted by the Sorrento but with spiraling fuel prices I'm glad we got the Sportage as it returns nearly 40mpg solo and over 25 mpg pulling 1500 - 1600 kg's

Odd about the air con because we've found it a lot better than the air con in our previous Alhambra (although the Alhambra was bigger inside, of course, so the AC had more work to do.

Good luck - I'm sure you'll be very happy with a replacement.

Nov 25, 2007
Visit site
Hi

An update on the car. Hubby told the garage on Friday afternoon that he wanted to hand the car back cos of the ongoing problem so imagine our surprise when I rang on Monday morning for an update to be told that the air con was fixed!! It's a miracle!!!!! Apparently it was a problem with the dashboard control unit.

Anyway when we were in france we noticed another problem with a slight 'kick' on the car when pulling away and slowing down, (which we reported when we took the car back for the air con) so the garage said they would be fixing that on Tuesday and the car would be ready today. We rang this morning and guess what - yup they have to order another part and it will be five days before they get that.

We're getting really sick of this now as it's another weekend when we can't get away.

Margaret

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
hi margaret, we had a new sedona 07 plate. the engine check light kept coming on when you was over taking and on motorway etc it was quite scarey.

it went back to my local kia dealer who said bad diesel in it.

it went back to the local dealer again who said same thing. then i took it to leicester dealer on 3 occations who still couldnt find a fault. the mechanic took it home to test drive and he went off sick.

i phoned a dealer in the end in sussex i think who told me it was a common fault and it was the metering unit that was part of the diesal system.

anyway i was without my huge mpv for approx 5 weeks. in the end i handed it back and went for a hyundai santa fe cdx 7 auto.

when i had confirmation that the car had been sold on i also found out it was the metering unit all along.

thats whats wrong with the practical caravan test car i have rang them and left messages to what the fault it but have heard nothing.

anyway im going off track here now.

my point is that the kia dealerships customer service isnt great well thats how i feel.

if its been in i think its 5 times for warrenty stuff then your case is stronger.

good luck

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
very interesting about Kia dealers.

My one is useless. Like Margatret's they take weeks to get parts.

dad in laws gearbox cables broke whilst we were at Berwick upon Tweed 3 weeks ago.

We managed to getthe car to the local Kia dealer at Kelso. They were brilliant. They had the part shipped from Kia HO and the job was all finished within 48 hours. Well done Hopes of Kelso.

Why can't the others do the same? I'm off to Chippenham now to have the Sorento's long awaited heater fan changed.

Cheers

Alan

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
very interesting about Kia dealers.

My one is useless. Like Margatret's they take weeks to get parts.

dad in laws gearbox cables broke whilst we were at Berwick upon Tweed 3 weeks ago.

We managed to getthe car to the local Kia dealer at Kelso. They were brilliant. They had the part shipped from Kia HO and the job was all finished within 48 hours. Well done Hopes of Kelso.

Why can't the others do the same? I'm off to Chippenham now to have the Sorento's long awaited heater fan changed.

Cheers

Alan
I have always found the Chippenham CMC good, although in over 4 yaers the Sorento has only required servicing and its recalls, so perhaps when a fault occurs I may have a different view. Have you tried Bath Kia?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts