Kia Sportage

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Can anybody help? I am considering buying a new Sportage KX3 Sat Nav but am confused by the Kia Tech info when it comes to Kerb weight! It states Min. 1600kg, Max. 1759kg. The only extra I am having on the vehicle which will add weight is a tow bar. Can someone explain please? Even some of the blogs don't really help! All I want to do is calculate what 85% of the kerb weight for my future caravan.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The tow bar deducts from your payload and doesn't add to the kerbweight particularly as its most likely to be fitted at the dealers. It's a common problem with car makers giving a range but unavoidable given the wide variety of options that are available. I'd go around dealers to see if they have one close to your spec perhaps a demonstrator and ask to see the V5. That will show you the mass in service. One way I had to do it was to ask the dealer to contact a buyer with a similar spec and ask if they could read him the MIS from their V5. Of course if your van is less than 85% of 1600kg you are fine and could weigh the car when you get it. If you have prior experience of towing then you might feel comfortable going above 85%. Since the KX3 is top spec i would expect it to be near the higher end of Kia's range. Good luck. This link might help a bit there are several if you Google Sportage KX3 kerbweight.
Also try the Owners clubs.
http://www.nationwide-cars.co.uk/deals/kia_sportage_diesel_estate_d49581.asp

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Cigar,
Your post sadly highlights one of the major inconsistencies with the 85% guidelines. The same model of car can have different MIS figures dependant on what was fitted at the factory.
This means that a low speck car will have a lighter MIS, yet if equipement is added by the dealer to match a higher speck car, the MIS dosen't chang because the parts were not fitted at the factory. So two cars that are to all intents an purpose are the same on the road could have different towing guidance when its based on the MIS.
I suggest it would be safe to base your towed weight calculation on any version of your car that has a higher MIS provided it has the same engine and transmission, and that your specific model has a high enough braked trailer weight limit.
85% of MIS is not cast in stone, and it has no legal significance.

Apr 25, 2006
Visit site
I have just bought a new Kia Sorento and like you saw 2 figures quoted, well on recieving the V5 I see the have put in the average of the 2 figures, do I believe it as accurate.......NO. But it is acceptable for my purpose as I had calculated on the lower.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
How can you be certain its the average and not the calculated or weighed MIS?? Not difficult on a production line to weigh the car and then add in the additional weight of fuel, driver etc. Only way to truly tell is have the car weighed.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
If you buy a car in the lowest spec, then i would use the lowest declared weight from the weights published.
That would put you on the safe side of the calculation for the towing ratio.

A towbar will add another 20kg minimum to the weight anyway.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts