kids safety on bikes.

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Jonathan,

Joby forgets that some people still work Monday to Friday and can only get to go away at the Weekend. This forgetfulness is known as RPS (Retired Persons Syndrome) and leaves the individual contantly moaning about all and everything,

best regards, Martin
for your information , i am not retired , and i quite often have long weekends myself , but i am self employed , some times if work is slack i can go off when i feel like it , and why your called happy lappy i dont know because the name doesent fit

Mar 8, 2007
Visit site
for your information , i am not retired , and i quite often have long weekends myself , but i am self employed , some times if work is slack i can go off when i feel like it , and why your called happy lappy i dont know because the name doesent fit
Oh I'm happy alright, it just irks me when people go off topic to have a rant

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Martin

That's a bit unfair mate. I slogged hard for 38 years sometimes doing a 16 hour day and away from home at least once a week. Am I not entitled to enjoy retirement now?

The references to weekenders or two day eventers is not particularly directed at the people themselves but more so the method of pitch allocation. Us RPSs as you call us merely point out there are a number of CC sites where you cannot book a full week because all the weekends have been reserved. We asked the CC to consider waiting until say 4 weeks before the holiday to allow a proportionate share for a full week. If the vacancy still existes then by all means allocate it to a weekend slot.

For my part I go elsewhere so it really doesn't bother me now but I can see the difficulty for ALL parties.

Cheers

Dustydog
hi all, quiet interesting how one topic can go onto a completely unrelated one! if i could just say that whilst you have a very valid point dustydog about weekend bookings stopping week booking, there is also the problem that if you want to book a weekend on some sites you have to book a longer period to cover their lose for not being able to accomodate a week booking! There is also a premium paid for booking just a weekend!

I'm not sure there is an answer that will suit all, i suppose most weekend booking are made by those of us with children to accomodate schooling, and hence it seems the sites have a licence to charge higher rates at any time children aren't in school!

cheers,

Gareth

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Martin

That's a bit unfair mate. I slogged hard for 38 years sometimes doing a 16 hour day and away from home at least once a week. Am I not entitled to enjoy retirement now?

The references to weekenders or two day eventers is not particularly directed at the people themselves but more so the method of pitch allocation. Us RPSs as you call us merely point out there are a number of CC sites where you cannot book a full week because all the weekends have been reserved. We asked the CC to consider waiting until say 4 weeks before the holiday to allow a proportionate share for a full week. If the vacancy still existes then by all means allocate it to a weekend slot.

For my part I go elsewhere so it really doesn't bother me now but I can see the difficulty for ALL parties.

Cheers

Dustydog
hi all, quiet interesting how one topic can go onto a completely unrelated one! if i could just say that whilst you have a very valid point dustydog about weekend bookings stopping week booking, there is also the problem that if you want to book a weekend on some sites you have to book a longer period to cover their lose for not being able to accomodate a week booking! There is also a premium paid for booking just a weekend!

I'm not sure there is an answer that will suit all, i suppose most weekend booking are made by those of us with children to accomodate schooling, and hence it seems the sites have a licence to charge higher rates at any time children aren't in school!

cheers,

Gareth

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
i'll post this in the right place!!! 3rd time lucky

cheers,

Gareth

Mar 8, 2007
Visit site
Gareth,

This is why I only get away for weekends, due to having 3 children in school.

My point about the use of the term weekender, is that if one is unhappy with the way the CC run their booking system, then they should ***** to the CC and not drift off topic from the original post, which is Kids safety on bikes,

best regards, Martin

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
I must say, why don't sites do more about some of the dangers that may arise from children riding bikes? i'm responsible and make sure my two girls are equiped and ride safely. However, when i see the way some act i worry about them coliding with younger kids! i know, before everyone jumps on my back that it should be the parents that control their kids sadly however, this is not always the case!!!

At a recent visit to a popular site at Parkend in the forest of dean i watched two young lads riding on the walls around the leisure complex and jumping off onto the walking area with people around! I asked them to stop, which in fairness they did but this was in full view of people employed there! My two who are only 6 and 4 no not to ride in padestrian areas, it's not rocket science surely!!!

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
My son is not allowed on his bike without a helmet. When he was younger that was not a problem, but now at 6 because many of his friends don't wear them he tries to get away with out the helmet. I will take the bike off him before I allow that stupidity. Sadly too many adults give bad example by not wearing a helmet. It really annoys me to see adults cycling, wearing all the fancy cycle clothes (you know skin tight and with special shoes etc) but not wearing the one bit of cycle gear that matters - the helmet.

I do object to the poster who indicated that good parents should not allow their kids to play in the street - that goes too far. Not everyone has park sized gardens etc. However there is no excuse for no helmet. They are not that expensive and they can make a big difference. The recent death of Lian Neeson's wife after a minor fall illustrates how important head protection is.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Gareth and Martin

No problem . My kids grew up a long time ago and in the days before the internet we never had any problem booking either weeks or weekends away.

As I say there must be a more equitable method of pitch allocation to suit all. We now use a lot of CLs and I have to say we have been very pleasantly surprised.

Back to the topic. I don't think it is fair that the CC Wardens should have to police safety with children.

Like charity , doesn't safety start at home?

Cheers

Dustydog

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts