kids safety on bikes.

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Does anyone else feel completely perplexed as to why people seem to believ that their children can come to no harm whilst riding around a caravan site. As a dad of 2 beautiful little girls, i ensure that my children without fail wear crash helmets whilst on anything with wheels, and always have lights on when light is poor. At a site we stayed on in November, the wardens there commented to me that ours where the only children that where wearing safety gear and how impressed they where at that.

any comments??

Nov 23, 2008
Visit site
my daughters wore them until the age where it wasn't cool son still does hes 14 and autistic fell on to concrete last year broke his collarbone thankfully he had his helmut on my eldest came off hers at the age of 6 into the handlebars and injured her groin but where she landed if she'd not had a helmet on would of been seriosly injured most head injuries can be prevented with helmuts some countries it is compulsory to wear them adult and child it is not cotton wool kids just protecting them from serious injury

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
Nicola, What a stupid comment to make. Cotton Wool kids? Your kids obviously don't wear them? Does that make you an irresponsible parent? Well done Gareth. Niki

Dec 23, 2008
Visit site
There were no helmets when we were kids or when my kids were young.

No one I knew or know ever wore them.

As kids we raced around on our bikes far more than most of todays kids and went off roading at break neck speeds long before Mountain Bikes became fashionable.

In all my years of cycling the only injuries I've known would not have been prevented by a helmet.

"cotton wool kids" Well yes, that is one call.

Some children seem to race around on bikes thinking they are bullet proof, false sense of security due to helmet may be? Camp site gravel drive ways and paths soon wreck that idea helmet or no helmet.

Oct 21, 2007
Visit site
My children do have and do wear safety helmets whilst away at the caravan but not always at home. I merely stated the comment to put forward the other side of the debate which op was obviously looking for. Let everyone make decisions for their own children if you are happy with your choice for your children then that is what matters. My children are only 4 and 1 1/2 and so far wear a helmet but who knows how long that will last for. I still would rather they rode their bikes than gave them up when a helmet becomes uncool. I live in a street where there are maybe 20 children under 8 and I would say 4 wear them so a lot of other parents don't see a need either. I live in a cul de sac in a village with very little traffic obviously on a main road would be different. Sometimes I think I am wrapping them in cotton wool so they don't learn consequences for their own actions so in that way I include my own children in the sentiment.

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Hi clockwork, as i kid i also never wore a helmet, i also never wore a seat belt and neither did my parents! Guess the dangers where not seen back then! Like you Nicola i too live in a cul d sac, in a small town where other families have young children in the street, we made our kids wear safety gear and now all the others follow because its become the normal. I can't believe people see it as cotton wool kids, i don't rap them in bubble rap, i only want to protect the most vulnerable part of their body. they still fall off and come back with bruises and cuts but at least they have a chance to learn from their mistakes!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Another old subject done to death yet one that is so important, lest we forget the tragedy at Rowntree Park.

I had no protection as a kid and have the scars to prove it. Yes I wrapped my kids up well as indeed they will theirs. Please ,please , never take the pi?? out of safety minded parents. It just may help that reversing driver realise your kid is there.

Now would you parents of today let your kids ride up and down a tesco Carpark with all the coming and goings of vehicles? Is a caravan site that much different I wonder?

Cheers

Dustydog

Mar 8, 2007
Visit site
To All,

I belong to the Avon Centre of the CC and as a group we often go out on our Mountain Bikes. We as adults have decided that it is up to us to set an example to the children and will now always wear a Helmet, when off on our adventures and will expect the children to follow suit.

I commute to work (12m round trip) and have been hit off by a car twice in 15yrs. I hit my head on the kerb the first time, but as I had a helmet on I only suffered mild concussion. The second time I was thrown from the bike and suffered a fractured coccyx.

As Dustydog says, Don't extract the urine out of safety minded people, as it could save their life,

best regards, Martin

Dec 23, 2008
Visit site
Sorry but this is probably a p*** taking old age parent thing.

Where does "responsible parenting" and helmet wearing sit with children under 8 playing with cycles in cul-de-sacs or quiet roads?

Children playing and roads no matter how quiet are not in the responsible parent guide as far as I'm concerned.

Dec 23, 2008
Visit site
ps

Without anyone taking offense could I point out that cycle helmets have to fit and be worn correctly.

May I also be as bold as to suggest that with around 50% of users that is not the case.

Our local postmen are the prime examples, they would be just as safe wearing paper hats.

Mar 8, 2007
Visit site
Clockwork,

I respect your points about children. The children I am refering to are all teenagers and we are just trying to get across that there is a difference to being cool and being safe,

best regards, Martin

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
We must not get bogged down with minutae here. Anything done to improve safety of all ages is beyond reproach and extracting the urine.

Happy lappy is Spoyt on. Encourage the kids.

I have dealt with Insurance claims over the years where a helmet would have saved a life. You then have to factor in the egg shell skull.

What's that you say? A person who unbeknown to anyone has a very thin skull. One bump and at best they're dead, worst they become a living vegetable.

I just cannot understand how there can be any intelligent opposition to what Gareth and Happy Lappy say.

Cheers

Dustydog

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
We must not get bogged down with minutae here. Anything done to improve safety of all ages is beyond reproach and extracting the urine.

Happy lappy is Spoyt on. Encourage the kids.

I have dealt with Insurance claims over the years where a helmet would have saved a life. You then have to factor in the egg shell skull.

What's that you say? A person who unbeknown to anyone has a very thin skull. One bump and at best they're dead, worst they become a living vegetable.

I just cannot understand how there can be any intelligent opposition to what Gareth and Happy Lappy say.

Cheers

Dustydog
As a kid I never wore a helmet, but now ride road bikes and cover over 100 miles a week.

I now always wear a helmet and thank god I do as it once saved my life.

My kids now always wear a helmet when on their bikes, I buy them sensible ones and they don't look like geeks. But I recognise kids need a bumps and grazes to help them learn so they never wear arm and knee pads, that is too much.

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
As a kid I never wore a helmet, but now ride road bikes and cover over 100 miles a week.

I now always wear a helmet and thank god I do as it once saved my life.

My kids now always wear a helmet when on their bikes, I buy them sensible ones and they don't look like geeks. But I recognise kids need a bumps and grazes to help them learn so they never wear arm and knee pads, that is too much.

Mar 8, 2007
Visit site
With the tragic death of Natasha Richardson, it only proves that even a small bump to the head can have severe consequences.

This is why we must try and encourage children and adults to wear cycling helmets,

best regards, Martin

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Martin

Spot on. I suspect Natasha may have had an "eggshell skull syndrome".

Until you bang your head you don't know!..

Cheers

Dustydog

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
I was staying at Lucksall caravan , last week , and when the week enders turned up there was a gang of kids riding around the site , none of them had any road sense what so ever , its a one way system around the park , not that they took any notice , none had hats on , even when it got dark ,none had any lights , one youngster about 5 years old nearly went under a van reversing of a pitch , surely if they can afford a caravan they can afford lights for the bikes

May 18, 2007
Visit site
What is it with this weekender slating on this forum by individuals.They take a perfectly reasonable argument and turn it on the head by their personal views.

Everybody is entitled to a holiday whether it is weekends or not.

Lighten up and enjoy the outdoor life - if not stay at home

Mar 8, 2007
Visit site
Jonathan,

Joby forgets that some people still work Monday to Friday and can only get to go away at the Weekend. This forgetfulness is known as RPS (Retired Persons Syndrome) and leaves the individual contantly moaning about all and everything,

best regards, Martin

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Martin

That's a bit unfair mate. I slogged hard for 38 years sometimes doing a 16 hour day and away from home at least once a week. Am I not entitled to enjoy retirement now?

The references to weekenders or two day eventers is not particularly directed at the people themselves but more so the method of pitch allocation. Us RPSs as you call us merely point out there are a number of CC sites where you cannot book a full week because all the weekends have been reserved. We asked the CC to consider waiting until say 4 weeks before the holiday to allow a proportionate share for a full week. If the vacancy still existes then by all means allocate it to a weekend slot.

For my part I go elsewhere so it really doesn't bother me now but I can see the difficulty for ALL parties.

Cheers

Dustydog

Mar 8, 2007
Visit site
Martin

That's a bit unfair mate. I slogged hard for 38 years sometimes doing a 16 hour day and away from home at least once a week. Am I not entitled to enjoy retirement now?

The references to weekenders or two day eventers is not particularly directed at the people themselves but more so the method of pitch allocation. Us RPSs as you call us merely point out there are a number of CC sites where you cannot book a full week because all the weekends have been reserved. We asked the CC to consider waiting until say 4 weeks before the holiday to allow a proportionate share for a full week. If the vacancy still existes then by all means allocate it to a weekend slot.

For my part I go elsewhere so it really doesn't bother me now but I can see the difficulty for ALL parties.

Cheers

Dustydog
Dustydog,

Please accept my sincere apologies, I did not mean to offend anyone with my comment.

As Jonathan said this topic is about childrens safety on site and this should be of paramount importance whether you wish arrive on the weekend only or not,

best regards, Martin

PS. I've been working for 32yrs and knowing my luck, will still have to do another 17

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
What is it with this weekender slating on this forum by individuals.They take a perfectly reasonable argument and turn it on the head by their personal views.

Everybody is entitled to a holiday whether it is weekends or not.

Lighten up and enjoy the outdoor life - if not stay at home
please show me the words that i used to slate any body off , if any body needs to get a life its you , i bet your purpose in life is to read these posts every night ,studying every word seeing if you make anything out of it , thats why the country is treading on egg shells because of people like you

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts