New Campervan

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
They are very nice, but eye watering expensive for what you get. My first thought is where is the toilet for my night time trips. LOL :ROFLMAO:
They have a portaloo in the back and a toilet tent. They are happy with that arrangement. The did find that their first toilet tent was transparent if they used a light.

The first van was just a few years old when they got it. They used it for more than 5 years and px’d it back to the same dealer only losing a few grand. This is because the VW’s ceased production during the pandemic and the second hand value has gone up.

I think they paid around £65,000 for the new one. Some go for £85,000

John

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
I think they paid around £65,000 for the new one. Some go for £85,000
Ouch. It does seem like crazy money when you compare it to a motorhome with toilet, shower etc. for around the same price, but if that's what they prefer then good luck to them. (y)

Was the dog included or an optional extra. :ROFLMAO:

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Stunning campervan at a great price i hope your son and daughter in law our very happy with there purchase and many more trips and the big bonus it can be use for work as well

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
We saw this one at Carsington Water CMHC site the other week, not sure if it was an amateur build or not? I didn't know they made a T5 chassis-cab for conversions like this, the conventional van wouldn't have much strength left if the rear body were chopped off.
T5-camper.jpg

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Reactions: GaryB
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Can you not drive and park a motor home in your town? You can up here.
Being mobile, they are most often used for going to other towns etc. But, like our own town, they suffer the same problem most people complain about. They are far more difficult to park in the spaces provided and getting them under height restrictions.

I understand that people with motorhomes often rely on busses for local transport.

I am definitely not knocking anyone’s choice of accommodation, but when I was able, it was a caravan for us. My son and my daughter and their respective partners, prefer a campervan, others a motorhome. Each to their own.

John

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I would imagine width is a problem as well. I struggle to park my car leaving space to get in and out in some car parks. The more touristy the area the narrower the parking spaces seem to be.
With the addition of so many safety features in cars plus of course batteries, there is little choice except for them to expand width and length wise if you want a medium size family car.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
With the addition of so many safety features in cars plus of course batteries, there is little choice except for them to expand width and length wise if you want a medium size family car.
Is it safety features or occupants that are larger than the average 25 years ago. I dread flying with some fat occupant spilling out from the adjoining seat. 😱

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Is it safety features or occupants that are larger than the average 25 years ago. I dread flying with some fat occupant spilling out from the adjoining seat. 😱
From another forum and not my words;

Since 1965 that have made modern cars so safe, deaths under 56mph are rare, compared with the typical car of 1965 where you had a good chance of a trip to the morgue even in a 30mph frontal impact.

The extra space inside the passenger compartment isn’t a designed in comfort feature, it’s a bonus thanks to the engineering requirements of many of the safety features.

Cars now have full wrap around safety cages, that can be up to 9” deep. Automatically, any modern car is at going to be significantly wider than a comparable 1965 car.

All that lovely arm and shoulder room? That’s to give the curtain and seat airbags space to deploy, and to provide space for the door to deform in to in a side impact - yet again, it makes the car wider.

Speaking of doors, They are now often over 6” deep, with massive side impact beams to spread the impact into the safety cell. Compare and contrast with a 60’s car, the only thing between you and the car hitting you was 1/16” of steel and 2-3” of air.

All that lovely leg room up front? That’s so the engine has space to submarine under the car, not smash you to a pulp as it’s forced into the passenger compartment, plus the space for the airbags to deploy while your steering column retracts to protect you. In the good old days, the steering wheel speared you through the chest and impaled you into the seat.

And they sit much higher too, not just to give you extra view ahead, it’s so they can mount the fuel tank under the car and and in front of the axle, rather than hang it off the back of the passenger seats or inside the boot - ah the joys of spilt fuel in any accident.

Unlike the 60’s, when it was all too common, you don’t tend to see the fire Brigade draping tarps over car wrecks these days to hide the incinerated occupants from the public’s gaze -

Talking of boots; hat big boots not designed big to carry the dogs and bikes, it’s to provide a deep crush cell to protect you in a rear end accident. No more Minis with the back seat passengers bodies providing the crush zone.

And that long nose? Lets return to the days of short nosed slab fronted cars that smashed any pedestrian they struck to a broken pulp? The long sloping bonnet is to scoop them up and dissipate the impact.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Cars have much better side impact protection than they did a generation ago - this is where some of the extra width is iused.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My post was put out in jest hence the emoji. Im getting to the stage where the number of
“ corrections” to my posts is getting wearisome. I’m well aware that cars safety features have improved, one of the reasons I had Saab, BMW, Discovery Volvo and Subaru as at the time they were ahead of the game. Having had a Volvo estate and Saab 9000 written off around us safety is one of my buying criteria. But with NCAP most other makes have improved markedly too. Or am I wrong on that one too; standfast some Dacias before that marque are mentioned.:eek:

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
My post was put out in jest hence the emoji. Im getting to the stage where the number of
“ corrections” to my posts is getting wearisome. I’m well aware that cars safety features have improved, one of the reasons I had Saab, BMW, Discovery Volvo and Subaru as at the time they were ahead of the game. Having had a Volvo estate and Saab 9000 written off around us safety is one of my buying criteria. But with NCAP most other makes have improved markedly too. Or am I wrong on that one too; standfast some Dacias before that marque are mentioned.:eek:
Have you forgotten , that at time you have to be thick skinned on this forum to ward of some replys.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Surely all your posts , like the rest of us ,are partly designed to encourage further debate from old and new Forumites? 🤔

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts