Kitchen area sink

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Why are the kitchen sinks on nearly all new/newish caravans so far back from the edge of the worktop? It makes it such a stretch to reach the sink, and if like me you suffer back pain problems it causes considerable discomfort. We`ve noticed Swift are the worst one`s for this but other makes seem to be following the trend. It`s putting us off swopping the caravan we already have. A 2014 Bailey Pegasus Bologna by the way.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Swifty,

I'm not aware of any legislation or regulations that determine the position of a kitchen sink in a caravan. I'm sure that somewhere they will have been a study by a physio or occupational therapist to establish optimum heights and positions for ergonomics of domestic sinks, but caravan designers are a law to themselves on such things.

Your question would be best placed to the manufactures directly, as we don't generally get manufacturers responding to threads here.

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Hello ProfJohnL, I was just voicing my disappointment about sink positioning and wondered if anyone else suffered similar problems. As you say manufacturers are a law to themselves and probably don`t care much for ergonomics etc, and if its cheaper to do it that way then that's it!

May 24, 2014
Visit site
If you look at most caravans, the cooker and fridge share the same area as the sink. I would assume part of the issue is simply a matter of fitting things in.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The problem with having sinks etc so far back from the edge is to do with the worktop construction.

It is not a solid mass, it is a honeycomb of cardboard finished with a laminate top and bottom, so is very fragile if items are mounted too near the edges.

Why is it not solid,,simple,,,,cost.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Damian-Moderator said:
The problem with having sinks etc so far back from the edge is to do with the worktop construction.

It is not a solid mass, it is a honeycomb of cardboard finished with a laminate top and bottom, so is very fragile if items are mounted too near the edges.

Why is it not solid,,simple,,,,cost.

I'm not so sure, it might be weight.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It doesn't have to be solid wood, it could mdf like a domestic counter top.

Either way I doubt the caravan manufactures will tell us. :angry:

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I don't need a caravan maker to tell me what they are made of, I see it every day and see what they are made of when they get damaged.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I didn't mean they could tells what they are made of we can obviously see that. But they could tell us why they chose the material rather than an MDF or solid wood, but I doubt they would respond.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It is a mixture of acrylic and ground up waste from the mineral business, like granite etc.
The advantages are that it can be heat formed to almost any shape and when scratched, the scratches can be buffed out.
However, it is also a danger in that it will melt in the right conditions, and if it catches fire it gives off toxic fumes.

It comes in sheet form, so the underlayer in a caravan worktop can be anything, with the acrylic cover.

Good to know???????

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Yes definitely.

Not too worried about the heat and fumes, if the caravan is already hot enough to melt the worktop, I guess we will be beyond caring. The Carb/Monox alarm and smoke alarm should have roused us before that happens. If not, no flowers please. B)
I have absolutely no idea what is the construction of the underlayer. I am guessing its not solid due to weight constraints, as it is already an extremely heavy caravan for its size. I am assuming though its quite a tough surface. It will need to be with madam. :(

I like the idea of being able to get scratches out though and the stuff does look good.

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
swiftly550 said:
Why are the kitchen sinks on nearly all new/newish caravans so far back from the edge of the worktop? It makes it such a stretch to reach the sink, and if like me you suffer back pain problems it causes considerable discomfort. We`ve noticed Swift are the worst one`s for this but other makes seem to be following the trend. It`s putting us off swopping the caravan we already have. A 2014 Bailey Pegasus Bologna by the way.

I agree, we have the same problem with our Lunar Clubman.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Funny really, all us blokes complain about bad backs and sinks when there is washing up to be done. Mind you, I would rather suffer these worksurfaces than traipse across the site with armfulls of pots and pans to the washing up area.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
When we bought our new Lunar, the kitchen extension had the material around the edge not glued down very well and you could see what was in it. This appeared to be a corrugated cardboard filling presumably to keep down weight but still retaining a decent strength. I am not sure if this would affect the position of the sink though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts