L plates and Towing

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
At Telford yesterday the guy opposite helped his wife hitch up. She was driving. Once sorted off they went displaying L Plates on rear of the caravan and front and rear of the car. She was I her 50s. If she passed her test after 1997 does she need L Plates on the caravan. If she is just a novice on a provisional licence is she permitted to tow?
Just wondered B)

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
AFAIK you can tow a combination over 3500KG with a B licence if accompanied by a driver who has held the B+E entitlement for 4(i think) years if you display L plates.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
CustardAvenger said:
AFAIK you can tow a combination over 3500KG with a B licence if accompanied by a driver who has held the B+E entitlement for 4(i think) years if you display L plates.

I thought it was 3 years !?

Edit .... https://www.helpingldrivers.com/private-practice/the-law/

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Novice drivers who do not hold a full driving licence are permitted to tow provided that all conditions such as eyesight requirements and insurance are met.
Years ago when I was learning to drive Class I articulated HGVs I'd cut my teeth on light vans, seven and a half tonners, then a Class 3 vehicle which was a 4 wheel HGV up to 16 tonnes before graduating to the big wheelers, all at the company's expense natch :lol:
It helped that my then father in law (rest his soul) was a director of the company ;)
When I was trundling round driving an unladen artic, the guy who was sharing the instructors time with me and who worked for a local council didn't have a full driving licence, so in addition to the large HGV learner plates the truck also displayed normal car L plates.
Obviously he was used to driving a car under supervision but hadn't passed his driving test at the time so in effect he killed two birds with one stone.
Perhaps the lady hadn't got a full UK driving licence or maybe she was trying for a B+E qualification under supervision?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
otherclive said:
Think this is spam
It was but it, and the person who posted it are gone now.
It's very kind of you to point out spam, thank you.
It would help.if the spam wasn't shown as a quote though, I've edited the previous posts to remove the spam quotes. ;)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Parksy said:
otherclive said:
Think this is spam
It was but it, and the person who posted it are gone now.
It's very kind of you to point out spam, thank you.
It would help.if the spam wasn't shown as a quote though, I've edited the previous posts to remove the spam quotes. ;)

Thanks Parksy.
Noted for future intrusions :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts