Sep 3, 2005
Visit site
hi

I've ben reading up on all the tech specs on these cars and the kerb weight is a bit less than expected so for towing our baileys senator we would be over the 80% limit,although the towing capability of these cars is 3000kg.So can anyone tell me if i can tow a baileys senator (twin axle )with a mitsubishi L200 warrior.I kow it sounds like i'm not doing my own research but i have read up on everything but still a bit unsure.Just need to accept i'm not as bright as i possibly was and thank god i have honest,kowledgeable,helpful fellow caravanners lke on this forum to help

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The towing limit applicable to commercial vehicles, pick-ups and some 4x4s is based on their ability to pull "agricultural trailers". As these are a specific type of trailer, limited to 20 mph, these towing limits sometimes have no direct relevance to caravanners. In Europe manufacturers often publish different limit for different types of trailer but in the UK they generally just publish the higher figure.

Caravanners should regard 100% kerbweight or towing limit (whichever is the lower) as the maximum they should tow.

Disregard the L200's limit of 3000 kg, use the kerbweight as your guideline.

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
From Whatcar

Mitsubishi L200 - 2.5 TD (85 kW/114 bhp)

Date of manufacture: January 2003 - march 2006

85%

kg 1794 kg

The match

between car and caravan is perfect in accordance with a mix of

European standards. However, according to the British Towing

Code the percentage (loaded caravan / kerbweight tow car) is

85%

The towing performances of this Mitsubishi with your Bailey are

perfect (performance index = 99 km/u or 62 mph).

You may expect very vivid performances from this outfit. On flat

roads you can come along adequately, in which case top gear is

applicable in all cases.

On motorway inclines you will be able to come along quite

nicely. On steep roads you have sufficient power to keep going.

On hill starts there will be more than enough power to get

going, provided the wheels have traction.

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
In contrast to the Whattowcar information, I have experience of towing both Bailey Senator Montana and Avondale Argente 650 with the same L200 Warrior and although both outfits were perfectly stable in all conditions, I felt the Warrior was radically underpowered. It could maintain 60-70mph on the flat but the slightest incline had me making the best of the gearbox. 112hp isn't really a lot to move 3.5 tonnes or so at any kind of pace.

Sep 3, 2005
Visit site
thanks for the replies.We are presently towing with a 2.2 frontera which manages ok but i find i end up playing leapfrog with the lorries on long motorway stretches and wanted something a bit more powerful but not too much expensive.took a L200 out today really liked it but gosh its big,

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think you wont find much (if any difference) between the Frontera and the L200. We have just swapped our 2.2DTI Frontera and did consider an L200 warrior however at the end of the day we couldnt see any advantage. With 269kn of Torque the 2.2 Frontera is a dificult tow car to better. Took us over 9 months of dearching and test driving to find a better replacement. The other thing we found with the L200 was the Warriors and Annimals seemed over priced on the used market .

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Turned out to be a very expensive p/x. We ended up buying an 05 Grand Cherokee 3.0CRD V6. Twice the price of what we origonally expected to spend on the new car, but boy it is worth it. We looked at all the 4x4's on the market , the favorite on paper (until I had a test drive) was a Range Rover P38 2.5 diesel, but whilst lovely it was to underpowered. We had almost settled on a 2.7 Grand Cherokee which was just within our budget when the salesman sugested we test drive the new 3.0 CRD for comparison. Like an idiot I did and there was no going back. Even SWMBO fell in love with it straight away. After that it took a bit of searching on the web to try and get one at the right price.

Must confess I was realy sad to see the Frontera go but have no regrets. Towbar gets fitted next week and of to the New Forest in a couple of weeks time, so will be interested to see how she tows with 510kn of torque. Have to confess that we hadnt considered Jeeps before, but this has opened our eyes. There are are also many bargains out there for the Cherokees at give away prices. We saw pre registered Cherokees (delivery mileage only) for

Sep 3, 2005
Visit site
the grand cherokee's were always top of my list but once we'd seen the warrior we were smitten ,but common sense has entered the fray now and we're even considering not having a new one after all which seems rather a boring option.Really have to go with what the boss says as she drives a lot more than i do but we'll see.Off to the peak district soon and then newquay,so probably see how the frontera fairs up

thanks again

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The L200 Animal was top of our list for a while as well, but after test driving one , it felt to much like a commercial with a hard ride. also I run a thread on several web sites and got sumilair feed back sying that whilst they were visiualy nice they were overall a commercial vehicle , with the suspension set up accordingly.

Apr 30, 2006
Visit site
I use the mazda double cab, with a double axle argente.

It tows fine, also a little under powered same as the L200, but essentially, it was bought for my landscaping business.

It really depends on wether you just have it for towing or for work, or normal home life

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts