La Rochelle

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Somewhere there was comment about "buying power" Plotter. If the agent has such good buying power I can't see that it a deal that is better than buying direct.

If there is a problem you are still at the mercy of the ferry companies if you have to drive back home, from experience we know through business and pleasure that dealing direct with the ferry companies is normaly better.

As a point of interest my son and some of his Uni friends used a well known booking agents for travel and insurance and break down cover two years ago on a camping expedition.

One of the lads broke his back and they were left stranded by the agents for two days in Italy when one car broke down, the legal eagles are still threatening the company with court action and the other car is still in a French breakdown companies compound. Equipment that had to be left there has gone missing and the agents deny all responsibility despite a recording of the call telling the group to leave the equipment that the agent would have returned with the car!

Both vehicles involved were also given a pricy check over by a well know motoring organisation before they departed on the 8 week trip after they had been serviced and MOT'd as recommened for the breakdown cover.

The faults with the vehile STILL in France should have been picked up on, but they deny any responsility as well.

But then they are linked to the other companies involved!

At one point we had some equipment couriered to the group from Reading to Spain in under 18 hours whilst the professional agents dithered over what they could do when it was partially their fault that a young guys stuff had gone missing! They rang over twenty four hours after it arrived to say they could get it to the next site in 4 days!

Real Peace of mind is a mobile phone with roaming when travelling, as the couple I helped in Italy found last Year when they needed a part for a Fiat powered motor home.

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Perhaps buying the correct travel insurance is the key to it all ,the old saying you get what you pay for.You can get cheap insurance but thats fine until you have a problem as you have pointed out.I think we all shall agree to differ,but obviously as you seem to book ferry etc regularly for business this will help your confidence and maybe helps you to get better deals.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Plotter

The trip was being run as a charitable fund raiser, as a University was being represented they wanted it done properly!

The use of hire vehicle went out the window due to costs and two cars were purchased as it was more cost effective and following advice from the booking "Agents" and insurers re breakdown and travel insurance the cars were again MOT'd early,(As gave long MOT for re sale) serviced and given a buyers full check over by well known motoring organsiation.

They had all the travel insurance but were left to struggle with languages and places closing for lunch or end of day with no fore warning and the UK travel booking agents complaining that calls were expensive to make whilst my son at one point was sat outside a closed Italian garage with another chap not knowing where the others in the group had been taken to with all their kit including passports and money. Pay as you go Mobiles that most students seem to use proved next to useless, so my sons monthly account and the leaders went sky high.

If you need help and get it PLotter that's fine. But don't trust that will be the case even using the same company each year!

Have a mobile, know how or where to access the internet when travelling and make sure you have a roaming equipped mobile with a mountain of credit or a monthly contract and if you have any family health issues get a direct line number to contact ferry companies in an emergency.

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
I hear what you say but maybe in some ways you prove my point that you need the best available overall 'package' I have used various 'agents' and can only speak personally that I have always found them very good ,and knowing others(I have been caravanning for 32 years)who have gone the direct route have come unstuck .I will continue to use agencies even if I ahve to pay a 'premium' which I do not conceed that I do because I welcome the peace of mind.I always have a mobby with roaming and yes this has been invaluable to contact the agency to help when the need has arisen which due to age I suspect things happen,even today I have had to cancel this years holiday to France as my wifes cancer is not going as well as the hospital believed,given this I know which way I shall book in future but I accept as stated before it is each to their own.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
we had a fab time at this site. loved everything about the site apart from the dead snake that we saw!!! not good when you wife has a phobia of them!!!.

only downside was we did not like Marennes. La Rochelle and Royan are gorgeous but a 30/40 minute drive away.

The site was excellent with big pitches and a superb pool area.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts