Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My wife and I are thinking of going to Camping Sequoia Park near La Rochelle in June. There is a rally being run by the CC from West Wales but is at present oversubscribed by three names. If we cannot get on the rally we will probably go it alone. Any one visited this site and feed back would be appreciated.

We have only once previously taken the caravan abroad and went through Select Sites of Abergaveny. If we did the arrangements ourselves what pitfalls could we meet - insurances, ferry prices, gas availability in France, etc. etc. Any help/advice from more seasoned foreign tourists would be very much appreciated. Many thanks.

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Colin,

We stayed at Sequoia Parc approx 3 years ago.

You said that in your previous trip abroad you used Select Sites but appear to be thinking of making your own arrangements this time. Including our planned trip for this coming summer we haved used Select Sites 5 times and would be happy to recommend them to anyone, they are really good.

When we visited Sequoia Parc we used Select Sites to make the arrangements, would you not consider going with them again? might be worth your while both in a cash sense and in ease of worry and hassle.

The site itself is quite large, comprises of sections for tourers, statics and chalets. It is a member of the Les CASTELS chain of sites and we have found they are normally of a good quality. Around what used to be the chateau and its associated outbuildings is a courtyard with reception, small shop, bar and restaurant. There is an area there for a Kid's Club as well, my grandson who was 9 at the time really enjoyed that. There is bike hire as well.

The pool complex looks really good but despite temperatures being in the mid thirties when we were there no one was going into the large pools as apparently the water was very cold, aformentioned grandson tried it once and came out after only a few minutes with blue lips and shivering. The smaller kiddies pool was always busy, shallower water and much warmer.

Some evening entertainment was held in outdoor courtyard adjacent to bar and restaurant, good relaxed friendly atmosphere.

There appeared to be two different areas for tourers, one to the left as you entered the site through the barriers and another up towards the centre of the site amongst the chalets and statics. That's where we were. The pitches were of decent size, 7mtr van plus car plus awning and still space to sit out in sun. There were two shower/toilet blocks for that area both kept reasonably clean. Only problem with cleanliness was - toilets were partially roofed, plenty of light and airy but unfortunately also let birds in, we were there early summer which was nesting time for the swallows and the eaves of the inside of the toilets and showers made ideal spots for nesting. Looked cute seeing them feeding their young till you stepped out the shower and found they had left "their mark" on your towel or clothes.

In general the site was well kept and tidy, plenty of nice flower beds around. The entrance drive especially looked very impressive with its flower display.

On the downside. we found that- at least in the area we were water and waste disposal points were very thin on the ground. I would also have some concerns about going in high season. A walk around the site showed us that at least half the statics and chalets were unoccupied but the bar and restuarant were always very busy. I don't think they would cope with a full site.

Plenty of places around to visit, good beaches but beware if you have young children as waves and surf quite strong at some parts. I have also heard that some of the roads in that area become very busy in high season, but were o.k. when we were there.

Hope this is of some help. Anything specific, please ask

Robert

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Colin the Castels site we have used have always been very good! We've visited Sequoia Park to visits friends who were staying there and it was great park it seemed but you want to be camped away from the bar area!

CC will book you a ferry at a good price and with the internet it easy to book direct and liase with the site, travel insurance with CC is another option or with any one else you choose.

The only reason I can see to use Select Sites or Eurocamp Independant etc is if they can beat the price of booking it yourself. I can't see that they offer any more piece of mind than doing it yourself.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Colin,

You said that in your previous trip abroad you used Select Sites but appear to be thinking of making your own arrangements this time. Including our planned trip for this coming summer we haved used Select Sites 5 times and would be happy to recommend them to anyone, they are really good.

When we visited Sequoia Parc we used Select Sites to make the arrangements, would you not consider going with them again? might be worth your while both in a cash sense and in ease of worry and hassle.

The site itself is quite large, comprises of sections for tourers, statics and chalets. It is a member of the Les CASTELS chain of sites and we have found they are normally of a good quality. Around what used to be the chateau and its associated outbuildings is a courtyard with reception, small shop, bar and restaurant. There is an area there for a Kid's Club as well, my grandson who was 9 at the time really enjoyed that. There is bike hire as well.

The pool complex looks really good but despite temperatures being in the mid thirties when we were there no one was going into the large pools as apparently the water was very cold, aformentioned grandson tried it once and came out after only a few minutes with blue lips and shivering. The smaller kiddies pool was always busy, shallower water and much warmer.

Some evening entertainment was held in outdoor courtyard adjacent to bar and restaurant, good relaxed friendly atmosphere.

There appeared to be two different areas for tourers, one to the left as you entered the site through the barriers and another up towards the centre of the site amongst the chalets and statics. That's where we were. The pitches were of decent size, 7mtr van plus car plus awning and still space to sit out in sun. There were two shower/toilet blocks for that area both kept reasonably clean. Only problem with cleanliness was - toilets were partially roofed, plenty of light and airy but unfortunately also let birds in, we were there early summer which was nesting time for the swallows and the eaves of the inside of the toilets and showers made ideal spots for nesting. Looked cute seeing them feeding their young till you stepped out the shower and found they had left "their mark" on your towel or clothes.

In general the site was well kept and tidy, plenty of nice flower beds around. The entrance drive especially looked very impressive with its flower display.

On the downside. we found that- at least in the area we were water and waste disposal points were very thin on the ground. I would also have some concerns about going in high season. A walk around the site showed us that at least half the statics and chalets were unoccupied but the bar and restuarant were always very busy. I don't think they would cope with a full site.

Plenty of places around to visit, good beaches but beware if you have young children as waves and surf quite strong at some parts. I have also heard that some of the roads in that area become very busy in high season, but were o.k. when we were there.

Robert
Hi Robert - very grateful for the information. If you do not mind me asking what did you pay to Select Sites and when did you go - when we used this firm we found them very helpful, and they arranged everything except passports and personal money. They could have not been any more helpful. Just thought that as we had experienced going abroad with the van before and now both retired we would give it a go to try self organising - could be a disaster (who knows). We intend to go during the British school term time in late May or June therefore should not be overcrowded. Also it will be just the two of us so more interested in the surrounding countryside than site entertainment.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Colin, we went to France last year for the first time with the caravan. we did everything ourselves from start to finish, and had no problems whatsoever, and that included taking our dog. We toured, rather than stayed on one site, so didn't book any sites, other than our first night off the ferry. This allowed us to wander as we pleased, and we had a fantastic six week holiday. I wouldn't hesitate to do it the same way next time.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ps. By gas, do you mean domestic gas for the caravan, or LPG for the car? If the former, calor is not available; take plenty with you or switch to camping gaz. we took three 6kg red and brought one and a half home after six weeks. If it's LPG, it's widely available.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
LPG is a general term for 'Liquefied Petroleum Gas' and may also be applied to the kinds of gas used in your van/tent/camper.

Camping gas is readily available in supermarkets.

You can also go onto the French gases which may be bought at petrol stations along with their regulators I believe

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Colin

We booked direct with sites before the internet and general mobile phone use.

The site is getting your money and not sharing it with a booking agent. On commercial sites when our kids were young we found we were well looked after by site management when one of the kids were ill or we needed help at odd times.

Ferries we found to be very accomodating as well if there was problem, just call them direct and they will help if you have a legitimate problem, say re break down or health problem.

We've met people who have been better cared for re health problems and accidents by site owners and managers as they are locals, unlike agents reps or an office in the UK.

That said, reps have been helpful and given advice even when we have not been their clients.

In the internet amd mobile phone age, every thing booking wise is so easy. If you have a problem on route you just have a mobile phone call to make and sites always have people who speak English and you will not be awaiting a call back from a booking agent.

We and people we know and have met over the years have also had site management reluctant to help when they find you have booked through an agent at times, the agents dictate terms to sites quite often. When a problem occurs or you want advice you are the agents problem some times.

With the likes of Via Michelin and Mappy.com and the AA and RAC even routes are not a problem any more.

So give it a go yourself !

ps

And if your car is LPG, many hypermarkets sell Gas for Autos to.

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Colin,

Robert
Hi Colin,

We went there in the summer of 2004, it was approx last week in June and beginning of July. Cost was between

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Colin,

we went to Sequoia last July/August and have booked up again to go this year as well. This is by far the best site we've been to, but as Robert says, it has a couple of little niggles (nothing too major) like the birds in the shower block and fresh water taps being few & far between. Even though the site was full to the rafters, the restaurant & bar area never felt uncomfortable, though it's best to arrive at the restaurant before 7pm. The local traffic heading onto the Ile d'Oleron gets rather heavy after midday, so we always ventured out beforehand. There's a shortcut you can take to get into Marrennes just up the road.

We booked the site direct via their website and the crossings through Carefree. We sail Pompey to Le Havre (LD Lines) going down & return via the tunnel, after spending a couple of nights at another Castels site near Le Mans. This cost us about

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
I have commented on this site before and personal choice but I would not go again,a lot of people myself included had problems with masses of ants.Water is very scarce with no proper waste water points.The site said I should use the fire hose for water which is not good news but you fill an aquaroll in 3 seconds.The bird dropping in the showers is also an issue as is the fact that rubbish disposal is off site down the lane.

Turning to Select Sites I have used the many times and found them brilliant.For example two years ago my mother died whilst I was in the Dordogne a call to them and all ferry bookings were changed even to a different port (and they rang me back to save my cost)Last year I had to cancel my whole holiday at short notice when my wife was diagnosed with cancer they sorted the claim quickly,their part of the money I had back in three days!and the owner Andrew Erskine phoned me at home to answer queries and to ensure all was sorted.Needless to say I have booked agian this year.You may get it cheaper direct but what price peace of mind.Here endeth the sermon!

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Plotters review of the site differs from what we saw and our friends have experienced on numerous visits. Last year they went twice as they meet up in with Dutch relatives who go there and had a great time.

Plotters comment re ferries is the same we've experienced dealing direct and pele we know with disabled child have had to abandon their hols a few times and have just as good service.

Booking direct you also have the option to move on if everything is not to your liking.

We know from experince that some site problems lie with the holiday companies with block bookings and agreements re holiday reps and what they do not being carried out.

The sites take the blame and during a long season you can't blame the staff and management dropping the ball at times!

over many years we've booked a provisional few ays at large popular sites and never had a problem staying on if we like the place.

Try telling "Sites Direct" or the like that you want to move on when you've paid up!

You should get it cheaper direct with options to be flexible and have just as much or even peace of mind.

Here endeth the sermon! ;-)

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Plotter, re ants and taking garbage off site, I had forgotten about that till I read your post. Fortunately just prior to going I read some posts on here about the ant problem and took a couple of containers of ant powder along. When we arrived I was preparing to set up the awning and set the bags of poles and bag with awning to one side, when I went to get it both bags were black with ants. I liberally sprinkled the ant powder all over area under where ground sheet was going, under caravan and practically all over the pitch. We never had any problems with ants for the whole time we were there. with amount of powder I put down that pitch is probably still clear of ants.Others did though have problems though, one or two mentioned it and site shop did a good trade in ant repellent.

Taking the rubbish off site was a bit of a hike,or in my case a short drive (too far a walk carrying black bin liner) but at least it didn't get scattered about the site by seagulls nor did you get disturbed by a waste collection lorry coming on to site

Cris re

"Booking direct you also have the option to move on if everything is not to your liking." and

"Try telling "Sites Direct" or the like that you want to move on when you've paid up!"

If you book direct surely the site will want deposit and full amount payable either in advance or on arrival. I don't imagine they would be too happy to refund your money either.

I have never tried booking site and ferry by myself but would consider trying that for next year and see what the comparison is.

Robert

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
My point was that once you pay a booking agent that is it for 10, 14 or 21 days or whatever.

We have used castel and other large commercial sites aalways booking for an anitial few days if we do not know the site and have never had a problem staying on for up to 3 weeks aften taking a few days at a time.

We have to take school holiday breaks due to my wifes job and three years ago I had work to in the summer for once and we did not plan to go away. The work got canceled at the last minute and we grabbed a late night ferry to Calais at the end of July and called a Royan site we've used on rute in the morning, we booked infor two days and extended day by day to about 11 days before heading south of Bordeaux doing the same and then on to Nice using Castel site there.

We have had money back from a site due to constant rowdy behaviour.

In about 15 / 16 years "Full Sites" we have found only apply to booking agents and the likes of Key and Euro Camp who demand discounts from site management.

We had the mis fortune to get pitched near to some Brit site reps at one Castels site. The behaviour was terrible when they were away from their clients and as we've seen else where, there was friction between the sites staff and the reps plus their clients due to the reps actions or lack of them!

A quiet polite word with the site management and the problem was solved.

Large sites with all the family facilities have people coming and going each day, once you are there paying the site directly we've never had to move on until we want to and have friends and family with us doing the same.

It takes a few minutes to book a ferry on line and last year we booked about 120 return crossings for business and pleasure with no problems going direct and had no worries when a few things went wrong and had to take early ferry or missed one.

Most sites you can book on line as well or even from an internet enabled mobile phone travelling through France!

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Cris,

I take your point about only booking for a day or two on a site you don't know then being able to move on if you wish without financial penalty.

What about the claims made by the likes of both clubs that because of their negotiating power they can get better deals on ferry prices than an individual can? Have you ever tried a direct comparison between ferry company and C.C. for example.

I think you can book ferry only with the C.C then go where you like but they claim to be able to give better deal if you do a "package" booking. I was also wondering about adapting your idea to use with either the club or Select Sites i.e. book ferry, get discount, book first two nights of site only then take your chances and see if you can get booked on when you are there.

I know a lot of people prefer not to book specific sites and enjoy the freedom of being able to move around as they please. It's all down to personal preference, we don't like to spend three weeks in the one place and do like to move on but at the same time prefer to have it planned with the "security" of having sites booked in advance.

Last year on return leg from North Spain to Zeebrugge we stopped at the Castels site near Gigny - Domaine de L'Eperviere- (good site would recommend it) for four nights in early July. The Site Full notice was up every night, we saw several outfits being turned away, mainly camper vans who had been travelling till around early evening and then looking for a stopover. I wouldn't like to be travelling all day then be turned away from planned stopping place. But as I said it's all down to personal preference.

Robert

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Rob

When we had young kids the budget was important as we were building house and had all the mortgage and other bills to juggle and kids who thought the money tree was producing endless ammounts of fruit.

Having booked through Eurocamp Independent previously we slipped in to the routine and got their brochure out despite having had some pointers re booking direct on previous holidays.

Having selected sites and ferry times on making the call we were told one site was full and the ferry was full to, we made changes and another call again to be told of the same problems.

As it was January we were none to pleased, I called the ferry company only to be told I could sail when we wanted and a direct call to the 1st camp site and we had a pitch booked there and then, the second site would not take a booking but said to call a day or two before we wanted to stay and it would not be a problem. We called the end of July and got the same answer and then called from the 1st French sitea couple of days before we wanted to arrive. No problem and we have been there at leat 3 more times and its never a problems getting a pitch.

On our first attempt, pre internet days we saved about

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Cris,

After reading your posts I decide that, out of curiosity, I would see how easy it was to book on line and also compare prices. Using same details as already booked with Select Sites I logged on to P&O ferries site then the websites of the three camp sites I am going to. Using same dates etc. booking direct would cost approx.

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
As I put at the start of my post re Sequia it is all personal choice,boring world if we were all the same or liked the same things.That said the ease of booking and peace of mind using the likes of Select Sites suits me and I suspect overall it possibly is cheaper with their buying power and economies of scale.Booking day by day is fine however many agencies have deals such as 10 nights for cost of 7 and so on.As I have said if we all liked the same thing not only would life be boring but you would struggle to book sites as we would all be trying to get on the same one.Finally to Colin if you use Select and take out their travel insurance ( good product)pay

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Plotter.

I'm not knocking your choice, but it takes a few mouse clicks to book a ferry and sites.

Your experience of using a booking company is one thing and like your view on the site in Question, others have differnet views and experiences of such companies.

I proved earlier that Select Sites and others do not tell

the full story re availability at sites !

We travel at all times with a serious health issue for at least one of our party and sometimes two.

Our experience is that we have better peace of mind that way and dealing direct with ferry companies we've had only fantastic service rather than await a call from an agent.

Sites offer good deals, and we have never met anyone yet who has had a better deal through the likes of Sites Direct.

Buying Power translates to "screwing the site" and then there is paying for the nice brochures and office staff and call centres.

The fact is, that you can book direct with ease in minutes and be far more flexible if that is what you want.

And tales about fully booked sites and diificulties in finding somewhare to stay in rance in the Summer is mainly a myth that booking agents want you to beleive.

We have booked direct for 18 years now many many times and never had a nightmare when things have gone wrong. But have met or know of numerous people who have been let down by booking companies.

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Cris,

Had you read my previous post about the price comparisons I found before you made your last post? Definitely more expensive in this case booking direct than by through travel service. I'm not saying that it will be the same in every case.

I am wondering by your comment "screwing the site" if you feel sites get a raw deal from travel services. Sites are under no obligation to allow these services to use their facilities and if it were not mutually beneficial I am sure the site would very quickly end their association with the travel service.

When making the comparison by internet today I was very surprised by how quick and easy it was and feel that the greater the number of choices we have in getting prices for our trips abroad is to the advantage of us all. I would not discount booking either directly or via travel service.

Robert

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, the sites get a guaranteed income using the agents and having Eurocamp etc on site. But its not all roses deeling with those people. We know some site owners and its an eye opener.

After Plotters comment I went on line to book a ferry and two sites in the summer at peak time.

Both Euro Camp and Select have two sites full, even if I could book it with them I would be out of pocket at two 4 start sites.

Both sites are again available by the way if you go direct. And you'll get a bigger and better pitch ;-)

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
ps.

If sites and ferries were full why would the sites and ferries need to use the booking agents ?

Like every other business tha agents are there for one thing only _ PROFIT and like supermarkets and others a lot of that comes from clever marketing .

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi and thanks to all you members of the forum who replied to my request for information for the site at La Rochelle. I have been to Select Sites to see what they have to offer and was told that the site was more suitable for "kiss me quick" type of holiday and not the quiet relaxing holiday we are contemplating.

However they offered us 13 nights at Camp de Lletty with 10 amp electric hook up, ferry from Plymouth to Roscoff and all necessary insurances - sailing 26th. June and returning 10th. July for my wife and self for

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Camp du Lletty at Benodet - have been there before - excellent quiet site right on the beach and approx. a5 minute stroll into Benodet along the coast. Not so sure about the spelling - I even failed my French at "O" levels - know enough French to get to Plymouth.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts