Land Rover. All that glitters is not Gold!??

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Raywood said:
Not sure about the bit about the mileage unless it is far higher than normal. .
Define what is normal! There is no way a new car straight from the production line would do 9 or more miles around the factory or the storage yards before it reaches teh end customer - Unless there is a prescribed test routine that includes a road test. by the manufacturer.

Raywood said:
and I doubt anything under 200 miles would be a problem and possibly more.....

There is no way a modern mass produced NEW car could possibly get 200 miles on the clock unless it was driven on public roads. That suggestion is preposterous

Raywood said:
If you buy one actually on the forecourt and have been in it with the ignition on showing the mileage then you are stuck with whatever it showed.

But again if its showing more than a couple of miles at most, It cannot be described as Brand NEW.

I know I'm being pedantic here, but this is another area where the buying public needs to get strict with the dealers that have been hoodwinking us for years into accepting used cars - All be it with relatively low mileages - described as NEW. Anything more than the distance in factory to and from storage yards and to load and unload a car onto its transporter is not acceptable. That at most should not be more than 2 to three miles tops.

You are not paying for used vehicle but a brand new UNUSED vehicle.

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Raywood said:
Not sure about the bit about the mileage unless it is far higher than normal. .
Define what is normal! There is no way a new car straight from the production line would do 9 or more miles around the factory or the storage yards before it reaches teh end customer - Unless there is a prescribed test routine that includes a road test. by the manufacturer.

Raywood said:
and I doubt anything under 200 miles would be a problem and possibly more.....

There is no way a modern mass produced NEW car could possibly get 200 miles on the clock unless it was driven on public roads. That suggestion is preposterous

Raywood said:
If you buy one actually on the forecourt and have been in it with the ignition on showing the mileage then you are stuck with whatever it showed.

But again if its showing more than a couple of miles at most, It cannot be described as Brand NEW.

I know I'm being pedantic here, but this is another area where the buying public needs to get strict with the dealers that have been hoodwinking us for years into accepting used cars - All be it with relatively low mileages - described as NEW. Anything more than the distance in factory to and from storage yards and to load and unload a car onto its transporter is not acceptable. That at most should not be more than 2 to three miles tops.

You are not paying for used vehicle but a brand new UNUSED vehicle.
Not pedantic at all,just the norm John L.The age of the vehicle is dictated from the date of registration,ive seen cars hang about for two years in compounds before being sold as brand new.Might be worth you taking a look at Bentleys plant in Crewe,every new car gets a road test of at least 100 miles.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
seth1 said:
Not pedantic at all,just the norm John L.The age of the vehicle is dictated from the date of registration,ive seen cars hang about for two years in compounds before being sold as brand new.Might be worth you taking a look at Bentleys plant in Crewe,every new car gets a road test of at least 100 miles.

Which is why I specifically wrote "Unless there is a prescribed test routine that includes a road test. by the manufacturer." And "modern mass produced NEW car "

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
According to PJL and his interpretation regarding new cars there are NO brand new cars unused in existence, they have ALL been driven at one point or another, regardless of mileage, so the general public should, by that reckoning, only ever pay for a USED car !!!

Where I live the cars are loaded on to the boat at one port, transported over the water then driven to the dealer garage, which can be up to 15 miles away !!

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
seth1 said:

Which is why I specifically wrote "modern mass produced NEW car "
Bently are modern mass produced cars.Based on VW running gear.Im not going to waste my time on a thread that continually has the goal posts moved and plenty off pathetic excuses.I,ll leave the pros to debate it out as usual.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
seth1 said:
ProfJohnL said:
seth1 said:

Which is why I specifically wrote "modern mass produced NEW car "
Bently are modern mass produced cars.Based on VW running gear.Im not going to waste my time on a thread that continually has the goal posts moved and plenty off pathetic excuses.I,ll leave the pros to debate it out as usual.

I'm 2016 Bentley produced 11023 cars. Hardly mass production in terms of motor manufacturing.

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
Sorry that has nothing to do with the debate.The view of John L is if it has reasonable more than delievery miles, theoretically it cant be sold as brand new only used.We are all entitled to our own view points.Bentley do use a carousel to produce cars by the way,not quite mass but certainly not fully hand built.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I did say I was being pedantic, But it does raise an interesting question, How much can a car be driven before it cannot be classed as new?

Now here's the caravan slant on the subject, Some caravan manufacturers have their caravans delivered by transport companies that carry 1 or 2 caravan whilst towing another.It is therefore highly likely that a Caravan Made in Hull will have done 300 miles by the time its delivered to a customer in Cornwall.

In addition that means some caravans will have been towed behind a commercial vehicle, which is contrary to the T&C's of most caravan manufacturers warranty! What happens if a caravan suffers damage from the journey which doesn't show up until its in the hands of the customer.

I'm playing devils advocate here, but these are issues that to date the manufacturers have got away with. As customers are you happy with the state of things?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Most dealers offer new cars with " delivery mileage "
SWMBO bought a 2 month old demo with 1500 miles. We saved 9k. Was it new? Just like it came out the showroom.
Thanks for all the views so far. All are valid. When choosing sites we look at UK campsite .Trip advisor is another we trust because Most of the views are genuine and honest. The JD Power Survey has always struck me as reasonable but is clearly at variance with our David Motton ' s view and indeed some Forumites. So I'm still unsure who to believe. :(

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
My towing vehicle, a Kia Sorento, is very much the second car, it spends much of it's time on the drive and is used for towing or for transporting larger objects, but not as a daily drive.
If and when I eventually replace the towcar, my choice definitely won't be a LR product.
This decision isn't based on any surveys, reviews from motoring pundits or advertising, but it's based on the simple observation that whenever I see a 4x4 vehicle on the back of a recovery vehicle, or stationary on the hard shoulder of the motorway, it's almost always a Land Rover / Range Rover. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I live near to the heart of the midlands motorway network and use motorways frequently, so I have plenty of opportunity to reach these conclusions.
My point has no scientific basis, it's simply what I've seen and even SWMBO who doesn't drive has noticed the same thing.
In terms of reliability, I'd avoid LR like the plague.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
When o had my SWB off road Pajero I went on off road tours with a Bristol based company where the leader was an avowed Land Rover enthusiast. He'd driven one to South Africa and all over Europe. His car for tours was a much modified Disco 1. However when he expanded into European and Moroccoan tours he bought a Toyota hilux as he said he needed something that was reliable. Jokingly he reckoned that if you wanted to go into the jungle take a Land Rover but if you want to come out again take a Toyota. Oh and he's Chairman of the Bristol area Land Rover owners club.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts