Land Rover Dico 3 or Toyota Landcruiser?

DJM

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm about to change my current vehicle and intend to buy one of the two mentioned in the subject heading.

However, I am still concerned about the LR build quality / reliability despite being assured by the LR dealer that all is well now.

I would be very interested to hear comments from any of you LR 3 disco TD and Toyota Landcruiser owners.

Many thanks in advance.

Dave

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
Dave,

We have had a LR Disco 3 for 14 months, 18,000 miles and no trouble at all. It is the best car we have ever owned and so practical. Compared to the older discovery (which we have had 2 of) it is a different class.

My advice would be to test drive one, you will never look back!

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
Dave

It depends which Landcruiser you refer to, there is not much to choose from between the new disco and the LC version of the Landcruiser. Both are very good vehicles,however if you are talking Landcruiser Amazon that is in a different league.

Apr 7, 2006
Visit site
I am now on my second Landcruiser LC4 with 36k on the clock having covered 100k in the first one. I tow an Elddis Crusader Superstorm, Wife, 2 kids, their friends and all the paraphenalia that goes with them and have never experienced a single problem with either Landcruiser.

I did testdrive the new Disco 3 prior to opting for the Toyota and it just felt so underpowered and slow compared to the 3.0 D4d Toyota not to mention that to get a similar spec on the Disco ie; 7 seats, leather, Sat Nav etc, etc, I would have had to cough up about 7 grand more.

However, having also previously owned a Land Rover ( I'm not a Land Rover hater by any means ) the biggest single factor in my decision to opt for the Toyota was reliability. I just know that the Land Rover will never be able to acheive the same level of reliability as the Toyota.

Oh and one more thing, having experienced service from both dealers, Toyota dealers knock their Land Rover counterparts into a cocked hat.

Hope this helps.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
For what it's worth, I'd definately opt for the Toyota as they have always had an excellent reputation for reliability, we've certainly found our TLC to be a superb vehicle. I suppose a Land Rover dealer would say that Discoverys have improved, maybe they have but they are possibly still a rather unknown quantity.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts