land rover evoque verses hyundi santer fe

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Evoque is beautiful but lots of downsides-depends-do you want a work horse or a car to admire on the drive ? Support British workers? Is reliability/warranty an issue and servicing costs and insurance ?mmmmmm

Reactions: thomas_374576025
May 7, 2012
Visit site
All Land Rover products make excellent tow cars but can be let down by reliability whereas the Hyundai should be more reliable, but lacks the ultimate ability, comfort and status of the Evoque.
It is really a question of what your priorities are and what suits your lifestyle best, but both should give you excellent touring.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
All Land Rover products make excellent tow cars but can be let down by reliability whereas the Hyundai should be more reliable, but lacks the ultimate ability, comfort and status of the Evoque.
It is really a question of what your priorities are and what suits your lifestyle best, but both should give you excellent touring.
An Evoque rear load area is painfully restricted on volume and shape. It’s better with the seats down (a bit). The OP doesn’t say if he’s got children or dogs and what type of caravan he’s got and it’s payload.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
All Land Rover products make excellent tow cars but can be let down by reliability whereas the Hyundai should be more reliable

To add balance Hyundai did have its share of reliability issues, did not the Santa Fe share the maker's DVLA recall for their rear sub frame rotting issue?
That said, for a caravanning task, it is IMO far more practical than LR's Evoque.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I am Biased towards the SantaFe, as we tow a 1645KG, MTPLM. Caravan, loaded with awning, Cadac etc, two dogs and us all in the car. It has a fantastic loading area, under the boot and behind and under the rear seats. Ours is the 5door premium, and we get a fuel return of upto 28mpg towing, and on a solo run At 70mph about 45mpg. Its thirsty around town, down to the 20's but That maybe twice a week in Milton Keynes. Our son Who works for JLR, and drives all their models even likes it.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
JTQ, the potential rust at the rear axle mountings was the early Kia Sorento, 2003 -20009. Both mine were recalled, given a clean bill of health and painted!.
My sister has an Evoque. Looks very pretty but is not very practical. Also slightly on the smaller side. The Santa Fe has a good pedigree, lengthy warranty, 5 years, and very solid mechanics. Roomy too. Check out the JD Power Survey.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
JTQ, the potential rust at the rear axle mountings was the early Kia Sorento, 2003 -20009. Both mine were recalled, given a clean bill of health and painted!.
My sister has an Evoque. Looks very pretty but is not very practical. Also slightly on the smaller side. The Santa Fe has a good pedigree, lengthy warranty, 5 years, and very solid mechanics. Roomy too. Check out the JD Power Survey.

Just to add to Dustys comment Kia were absolutely brilliant in dealing with the axle support problem. Even cars well out of warranty and without Kia service history were looked after very well. My experience with a Sorento and friends experience with their Kias influenced our decision to make our second car a Kia.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
See my posting about Freelander in this topic. No response from JLR to my letters. If you;ve been happy with Hyundai suggest you stick with them
I had an early Evoque while the Freelander was serviced and found it awful by comparison. Visibility front and rear much worse due to very small rear window and fat A pillars, Controls confusing.
On both it and the Freelander the pedals are small and insensitive for a 4x4 and difficult to drive in wellies which us county fold need to do now and again.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Well worth looking at this. Note the result at the very end.

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
You will be in for a shock? The Terracon was a beast of a car but old technology. On reliability alone go for the Santa Fe. Just look at the reliability index. Go for an automatic one, they are better than the dual mass fly wheel manual.

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
hi all hope you are all well ive still got my terracan and still running well because we cant go caravaning this year we are going to look for another car next year i might have a bit more money to spend with no site fees to pay for thanks all stay safe cheers .tom

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
hi all hope you are all well ive still got my terracan and still running well because we cant go caravaning this year we are going to look for another car next year i might have a bit more money to spend with no site fees to pay for thanks all stay safe cheers .tom
A Santa Fe will make an excellent replacement for a Terracan - and Santa Fe will go anywhere that sensible people take cars, it's tyres will be the limiting factor along with driver ability - the LR off-road capability is overstated for their soft-roaders.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A Santa Fe will make an excellent replacement for a Terracan - and Santa Fe will go anywhere that sensible people take cars, it's tyres will be the limiting factor along with driver ability - the LR off-road capability is overstated for their soft-roaders.
Whilst I think that fir everyday use and caravanning the Santa Fe is the better car I think that many folks underestimate the capabilities of LR “soft roaders ”. I’ve driven a FL2 with stock tyres on a Land Rover Experience course and it does things that no soft roader could do. The Evoque and Discovery Sport have they same 4WD system and underpinnings and are just as capable. There are numerous videos showing the Evoque off road capability which far exceeds most soft roaders but obviously is less than the Discovery and Range Rovers. But where I think the Evoque falls short is it is form over function. But that’s just my personal choice.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Whilst I think that fir everyday use and caravanning the Santa Fe is the better car I think that many folks underestimate the capabilities of LR “soft roaders ”. I’ve driven a FL2 with stock tyres on a Land Rover Experience course and it does things that no soft roader could do. The Evoque and Discovery Sport have they same 4WD system and underpinnings and are just as capable. There are numerous videos showing the Evoque off road capability which far exceeds most soft roaders but obviously is less than the Discovery and Range Rovers. But where I think the Evoque falls short is it is form over function. But that’s just my personal choice.
Evoque, Discovery Sport, most VW Group models and some other brands use Haldex 4wd systems which functions the same as the Borg-Warner or Magna systems used in the Santa Fe, depending on year - it's down to the tyres and the driver.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Evoque, Discovery Sport, most VW Group models and some other brands use Haldex 4wd systems which functions the same as the Borg-Warner or Magna systems used in the Santa Fe, depending on year - it's down to the tyres and the driver.
Don’t forget arrival, ramp and departure angles plus suspension ability to articulate and put power down at more extreme angles fir off road use. I’ve had two Haldex fitted cars so I’m aware of their capabilities but it’s more than just powertrain.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Historically LR products have never had a good reliability record especially when compared to Hyundai.

There is little doubt LR products do have a prodigious off road capability, but unless you are going truly off road do you need it, especially as it introduces more complex mechanics which are not entirely reliable and cost a lot to put right yet alone maintain.

From a personal perspective I have never liked the Evoke, simply because it it looks wrong and gives the impression of the rear passengers having a very small window to peer out of. It just seems to be impractical and fails to make best use of the underpinnings potential. A Fashion or status symbol rather than a fully practical vehicle. ( How many farmers use them?)

We continually hear good reports about Santa Fe's (and Kia Sorrento's) from caravanners, and I personally think you would be better of with one of those. However ask your self do you really need a 4x4? How many times have you actually needed the full capability of your Terrecan? The fact is most caravanners never need 4WD. and certainly approach and departure angles have no place when towing a caravan.

There are far better behaved vehicles capable of towing the largest caravans, and even some really large ones like people carriers, that still offer the comfort and commanding view above normal cars, with lower running costs.

Having a caravan does not automatically mean you need a large 4x4.

Despite the impression given above, I am not anti 4x4, I just prefer people to take some time and to think carefully about what they really need, which is why I have offered some alternative considerations. Ultimately it is up to personal preferences and this one is down to you.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I do agree with the Prof on the idea that a 4x4 is probably not needed. If you do rallying and are likey to be stuck in a wet field then a 4x4 could be a better bet. If you stay on sites that are almost all hard standings then you should not need that extra grip. Even on wet grass pitches the car will probably be on a tarmac road an should manage.
As to the choice this is too personal for us to say what you should go for. Personally I like the Evoke styling but others do not. LRG have improved their quality these days according to what I have read, but at the end of the day it is what you feel you can live with best. If the two are still your choice then I would test drive both and see which you feel would be best for your everyday use, as towing mileage is normally a small proportion of your total. Both will be excellent tow cars but are very different in other ways.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Having had both 2WD and 4WD towbars the only times (3) that the tow car failed to exit a CL grass pitch(es) was with 4WD cars, one even had AT tyres too. So I had to resort to special means to get the caravan on to firmer ground. I won’t bore members with the whys and wherefores again but the posts can be found under my name.

The car below rarely got stuck anywhere and could be trusted to rescue Solihull’s best as an honorary member of the Bristol Land Rover Club.

0E5FB7BE-8352-46C4-BD04-8D437BD4954B.jpeg

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts