Land Rover Freelander TD4

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Bryan

Dont know if this will help. We have a 2000 Freelander 2.0ltr diesel,5 door.it is the one with the 'tractor'engine not the smooth BMW engine as in the TD4.We tow a 4berth Amara top end 1420kg.The car performs well both solo and towing but I would like a bit more power when towing which I think the BMW unit has.Fuel economy is fine.Their are normally 2 adults and 2 12yr olds and a small dog when we are away the car is always fully loaded so we are always struggling for boot space and hence use a roof box.If you go for a Freelander try to get one with roof rails.Dont think the build quality is that fantastic and parts from dealers is expensive (back door handle (

Hi Tony,

I am just trading in my TD4 reluctantly after having for 3 1/2 years from new.Its a great tow car.I tow a Bailey Arizona(you can see if your van is roughly the same weight).The only problem is reversing,the clutch starts to smell very quickly.But apart from that if you get a good one they are good.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Bryan - Freelander is the best selling 4x4 in Europe which must say something. The US does not like them as the anything diesel is unknown to them and so the V6 engined one was as big a disapontment to them as it was to us. Not a lot more power but a lot less MPG.

Actually the 1.8 after 2000 had most of its problems sorted but it is ia bit lightweight for towing.

The TD4 is awsome.

Go for the wondrous stepronic and you will have one of the very best tow vehicles arround and one that is more fuel efficient than most bigger saloons.

The Traction Control and Hill Descent control will get you out of any muddy field whilst towing a caravan or anything else for that matter.

Its still the small 4x4 that all other manufacturers try to beat. But don't forget, we are lucky that most modern vehicles are very good indeed, (perhaps with the noticible exception of the Tata) so you will not be disapointed going British, Japanese or whatever.

Whichever you choose, you will in the not too distant future be glad of the ability a 4x4 gives you when towing.

Jul 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

One consideration you might have(depending on the size of your family) is the Td4 commercial,which is what I use. There is only myself and good lady plus two small pooches so the commercial suits us perfectly. It only has the two front seats and the rear is just a flat space guarded by a metal grille, ideal for luggage and dogs and the bonus is that it is an automatic. On a recent trip to France and back I acheived 27 mpg towing a 1400kg Dethleffs full loaded, not bad eh!

If you have juniors then its not for you but otherwise superb, I am thinking of buying a newer version soon so I can reccomend the Td4 auto.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

I tow a Coachman Pastiche (MIRO1470kg) with my 52 reg TD4. I have had no problems at all. I have had two 2000+ miles holidays in France, and a trip around Scotland (1000+ miles)as well as the usual short breaks. I use a 0.5 inch spacer and alko ball, which gets round the spare wheel problem. Fuel is 26 towing, 35 solo. TD4 is much better than previous 1800cc petrol with 1300kg caravan. Official servicing is not cheap, but still plenty of tread on all original tyres after 28000 miles. Totally recommended!

Sep 29, 2005
Visit site
Freelander vs X trail?

Landie any day of the week. I drive 33k per year and just couldn't bring myself to do this in an X Trail.

Yes, better spec, size etc, but that dash!

Landie was cheaper too, as Landrover now recognise the challenges being made by Japan and Malaysia etc

I got

Aug 21, 2005
Visit site
"Freelander vs X trail?

Landie any day of the week. I drive 33k per year and just couldn't bring myself to do this in an X Trail."

"Yes, better spec, size etc, but that dash!"

How not? 99% of car mags (the remaining 1% been LR mag) suggest that the X-trail is much better than the LR (other then maybe the Image of the country set that it carries with it) The central dash is supposed to be a saftey thing as your eyes focus easier between the road and the dials in the center than if they were by the wheel.

"Landie was cheaper too, as Landrover now recognise the challenges being made by Japan and Malaysia etc"

Thats good then, give you some spare cash for when it goes wrong, you will need it for the expensive dealer costs.

"TD4 engine is a beaut, doesn't notice much below 1250kg on the pin. Telegraph Hill out of Exter in 4th with 1000kg Coachman 5 berth on back"

Sme could be said for the X-trail or even the Sorento (and more) that is also getting good reviews for towing and indeed solo. The TD4 seemed a bit underpowered for me, although reletivly refined (expected from BMW I suppose). X-trail is a bit transit van like on start up but soon quietens down to a nice tone. Will do 116mph solo (where the law permits or where no GATSO's), can get 43+mpg solo if driven sensible.

Steve

Sep 29, 2005
Visit site
I would still have the LR, at the moment it is the best overall package for my personal needs, based upon looks, performance, cost and usage etc.

I will only comment on personal knowledge and experiences, and to date neither myself or the other driver mentioned earlier has experienced any mech fault or dealer problems with either of our vehicles, with over 65k miles so far in both.

116mph in a 4x4 - no comment

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a 52 plate TD4 ES and I wouldn't be without it. Superb fuel economy and very reliable. I have done 48,000 miles (including a trip to the alps) and never had any problems. I'm still on the original tyres!

The only slight negative is the size of the boot. It's OK most of time but I tend to use a roof box if we are going away for a week or more. The replacement Al-KO 4x4 stabiliser handle is the best way to deal with the spare wheel problem.

With regards to the Freelander vs X-Trail debate.... My mate has a 54 plate X-Trail and regrets the day he bought it. Within 200 miles from new he broke down - can't remember the fault but Nissan wanted to replace the engine. He demanded a replacement car, which arrived four weeks later.

Within 1000 miles in X-Trail no 2 he noticed a loud induction type noise when towing. Nissan have confirmed it's a known problem and still don't have a fix. At 8000 miles the intercooler started leaking. Nissan fixed this and now at 12000 it's leaking again...

Mark.

Sep 29, 2005
Visit site
Looking at the most recent JD Power survey, which is regarded as the most accurate due to its independance and data source, they share the same rating for mechanical reliability! Yes the X trail has higher in some aspects, but these are not ones under argument.

I never questioned the position of the dash, I just think the layout and colour is awful, and reminds of a 90's Hi Fi unit.

I'm still trying to find the 300 non LR car magazines Stephen talks about. As there are at least 3 LR ones, and they only make up 1% of the publications!

The 'country set' don't buy many Freelanders. From LR they go for either RR, Disco or the best of the bunch - the 110

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Bryan

I tow a Bailey Pageant Moselle series 5 with a 02 TD4GS Freelander 5dr and it is an excellent tow vehicle,averages 29mpg whilst towing and regularly returns 40mpg solo. Have got the alko substitute handle to combat the spare wheel problem whilst hitching up.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You will get good deals on them now because a new Freelander will be out middle of next year. It is likley to be a lot more powerful, bigger inside but not outside. It will be more expensive too. As a guide a top of the range Disco 2 was about

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts