Last check

May 29, 2018
Visit site
Can't think of anything else now really as we practically own the camping shop over the road with the amount of stuff we've bought. :lol:

We take deliver in a fortnight and looking at packing things up I'm wanting to make the car as heavy as possible. The matched ratio for fully loaded van and basic kerbweight is 90%. Now I know the car will be heavier already due to 3 other passengers but I am going to look at a roofbox so we're not smothering the dog in the boot because I guess this will increase our kerbweight further and thus lower the ratio considerably.

I would rather be as close to 85% as possible so any hints or tips for this?

We always knew it wouldn't be 85% but want to get as close as we can.

Cheers

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Ste6t9 said:
Can't think of anything else now really as we practically own the camping shop over the road with the amount of stuff we've bought. :lol:

We take deliver in a fortnight and looking at packing things up I'm wanting to make the car as heavy as possible. The matched ratio for fully loaded van and basic kerbweight is 90%. Now I know the car will be heavier already due to 3 other passengers but I am going to look at a roofbox so we're not smothering the dog in the boot because I guess this will increase our kerbweight further and thus lower the ratio considerably.

Cheers

I had the same thoughts about a roofbox when we take dogs and granddaughter. I bought a Hapro Traxer which opens from both sides and meets TUV city crash specifications. Good piece of kit, better than my previous Thule. Opening both sides makes it easier to lock onto the bars using the rotary clamps.

Ps. You can’t increase kerbweight that’s fixed. But you are doing the right things. Weight carried within the car as long as it’s not overloaded all help.

May 29, 2018
Visit site
So, just been in contact with the dealer and they were asking if I wanted the electrical connection lead. (I would have thought this was included) however my main questions is this:

All the leads have a black 13 pin at one end and a black and grey at the other end. Now I am assuming that the end with 2 sockets go into the caravan end because the towbar i got fitted is a 13 pin one and only has one socket coming from the car. Have I got something wrong? (I would assume that a 13 pin cable would be one plug to one plug)

Help!!!!!!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Being a new caravan yours will have a lead from the van that has 13 pins. Your car has one socket. Is this 13 pin? If so you are okay. Alternatively is your dealer asking if you want the 240v electric hook up cable? These normally come as part of the caravan purchase with new vans. The other thing is that the lead with two ends and one other end being 13 pin is a convertor lead to go from a 13 pin van lead to a car with two sockets. One grey and one black. Unlikely you would need this one.

May 29, 2018
Visit site
Our car has one socket next to the towball. So does the van NOT have a lead that runs from it to the car?

I couldn't see a lead available anywhere that was just one plug to one plug.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Your caravan will come with a lead fitted to it that connects the van to the car. The lead on the caravan is not detachable as it puts power into the van fir battery charging, road lights, ATC, fridge etc. It’s end with the 13 pin plug goes into your towball 13 pin socket.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Yours should look like this as most will.

mine is also the same as what you are getting , one lead from the caravan straight to the back of your car for 13 pins . You should get an orange hook up lead to if not thats shocking pardon the pun, with the caravan as we did if you don't I would insist on one as you should get that

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Ste6t9 said:
Thanks - I thought this was the case!
So as I have 13 pin connection on the car, I don't need anything?

No , you should be able to plug in and go you don't need any two plugs or connection or nothing like that , one lead from caravan straight to your car .

May 29, 2018
Visit site
I have a reply from the dealer feeling very sheepish as she said "she has learnt something new today" and that is that the new vans come with 13 pin attached.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Ste6t9 said:
I have a reply from the dealer feeling very sheepish as she said "she has learnt something new today" and that is that the new vans come with 13 pin attached.

Hope she's not doing the handover with you !! :p
Should off asked bout you orange hook up cable .

May 29, 2018
Visit site
The hookup cable is definitely included, along with a step, winding handle and a water pump.
Additional to this, I have asked for a starter pack which includes: aquaroll, wastemaster, a leisure battery and a gas bottle (full I hope) there's also towing mirrors for the car in this pack.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Ste6t9 said:

Let’s hope the service side of the business is more up to speed. 13 pin plugs on new vans hasn’t just happened. Mine camevwith one and it was built December 2011.

May 24, 2014
Visit site

Really?? I would go back and tell the daft mare that you require some glass rockpegs and a see through hammer. :p

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Thingy said:

Really?? I would go back and tell the daft mare that you require some glass rockpegs and a see through hammer. :p

Don't forget the sky hooks for the awning :p :lol:

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Ste6t9 said:

Cheers

If going down the roof box road check the maximum weight that the roof of the car can hold. On our 4x4 it is under 70kg. Our roof box is loaded to the maximum that the roof can handle and it gives the doigs a lot more room inside the vehicle and they are only small dogs.
We bought the following from the roof box company;

1 x KAMEI Corvara 390 S gloss black box no. KM534 (K)
1 x FASTY straps - TRBC 0.5m, 1.5m, 3.0m (1 of each)
1 x Thule (160) Rapid System Crossroad railing clamps (4) no 775
1 x Thule (88) Rapid System 135cm WingBars (2) no. 962

The Kamei came very highly rated on numerous motoring forums and it clips onto the Wingbar.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If you are loading a lot in the car which may sound good from the point of view of getting the towing ratio down, do not forget the car will have a gross vehicle weight and with three passengers and a lot of kit you might be overloading the car or the back axle, so check what the car can carry.
Not sure what the car and caravan are but at 90% I would normally not be concerned, although you should take it easy to begin with to see how the car performs. Hope all goes well.

May 29, 2018
Visit site
Cheers.

It’s a Mitsubishi Outlander Diesel Auto pulling a Sprite Major 6TD

Kerbweight is 1685 and the GVW is 2290

Roof loading limit is 80kg

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Ste6t9 said:
Cheers.

It’s a Mitsubishi Outlander Diesel Auto pulling a Sprite Major 6TD

Kerbweight is 1685 and the GVW is 2290

Roof loading limit is 80kg

Don’t forget roof load includes the weight of bars, box, straps etc plus the luggage carrried in the box.

May 29, 2018
Visit site
It rained but we’ve got it.

Done some practice reverses, gotbit on the drive and into its little house area. Motor mover is amazing.

Now we’re decking it out and weighing everything.

Can’t post any pics. Any ideas how?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts