Law abiding cyclists!

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
I gave up on the idiots a long time ago and either slow right down or stop. No issue on a straight part of the road as they can see you and you can see them. It is on blind bends when they cut the corner and are either on the wrong side of the road or very close to the middle of the road.
Obviously I am very cautious when approaching these blind bends as in addition to cyclist cutting the corner many motorists do the same. If another vehicle does hit you even though you are going at a snail's pace and the other vehicle at speed, you probably will walk away. Same cannot be said for an errant cyclist, but motorist will get the blame anyway.
By the way it seems that the 1.5m is not a rule, but a guideline as per the following;
give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders and horse drawn vehicles at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car (see Rules 211 to 215).
As a guide:
  • leave at least 1.5 metres when overtaking cyclists at speeds of up to 30mph, and give them more space when overtaking at higher speeds
  • pass horse riders and horse-drawn vehicles at speeds under 10 mph and allow at least 2 metres of space
  • allow at least 2 metres of space and keep to a low speed when passing a pedestrian who is walking in the road (for example, where there is no pavement)
  • take extra care and give more space when overtaking motorcyclists, cyclists, horse riders, horse drawn vehicles and pedestrians in bad weather (including high winds) and at night
  • you should wait behind the motorcyclist, cyclist, horse rider, horse drawn vehicle or pedestrian and not overtake if it is unsafe or not possible to meet these clearances.
As said always good to obey guidelines anyway.
Not quite sure what your issue is then.
The 1.5m gap only applies to overtaking, but you don't have a problem with overtaking. And when coming the other way, on blind bends, you slow down anyway because thats the sensible thing to do.

Seems you are actually happy?

Reactions: Parksy
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Not quite sure what your issue is then.
The 1.5m gap only applies to overtaking, but you don't have a problem with overtaking. And when coming the other way, on blind bends, you slow down anyway because thats the sensible thing to do.

Seems you are actually happy?
Overjoyed. (y) :D

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It is good that they are trying to educate motorists as some need a real education on using roads, but I wonder what legislation they would use to prosecute a driver if they pass too close to a cyclist or another vehicle?
I can’t imagine and haven’t the will to investigate. 🤣 But if someone else investigates and reports they will have my eternal gratitude

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I can’t imagine and haven’t the will to investigate. 🤣 But if someone else investigates and reports they will have my eternal gratitude
Not an issue as just wondering as it is not legislation. I guess dangerous driving would be the right charge?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Not an issue as just wondering as it is not legislation. I guess dangerous driving would be the right charge?
What difference does it make? Especially as you tell us you drive so perfectly you will never be troubled having to defend yourself from such a charge. Its not really relevant to a caravan forum.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
What difference does it make? Especially as you tell us you drive so perfectly you will never be troubled having to defend yourself from such a charge. Its not really relevant to a caravan forum.
Do you mean to say that I am a better driver than yourself. thanks for the compliment it will be cherished. There are many subjects on the forum that are not relevant to caravans and this one is no different. :D

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I once took part in a telephone conversation on the Radio 2 Jeremy Vine lunchtime programme in which a cyclist who obviously had an axe to grind was claiming that those of us who tow touring caravans were especially dangerous to cyclists.
Obviously I fought our corner, along with Martin Roberts from the TV show 'Homes Under The Hammer' who is a fellow caravanner.
Towing a touring caravan when overtaking cyclists requires great care, so the subject is relevant to us on this forum

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I once took part in a telephone conversation on the Radio 2 Jeremy Vine lunchtime programme in which a cyclist who obviously had an axe to grind was claiming that those of us who tow touring caravans were especially dangerous to cyclists.
Obviously I fought our corner, along with Martin Roberts from the TV show 'Homes Under The Hammer' who is a fellow caravanner.
Towing a touring caravan when overtaking cyclists requires great care, so the subject is relevant to us on this forum
Yes I agree the subject of how to drive with and around other road users is relevant.
But detailed discussions on what you can be charged with is not relevant.

Reactions: otherclive

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Yes I agree the subject of how to drive with and around other road users is relevant.
But detailed discussions on what you can be charged with is not relevant.
I'd agree to some extent that a caravan forum isn't the best place to find out what a dangerous motorist could potentially be charged with if they were suspected of breaking the law, there are better sources for information of that nature.
As to the relevancy of the discussion, it depends largely on whether fellow forum members wish to participate in such a discussion.
As forum moderators, we don't really make hard and fast decisions on suitable subject matter for discussion as long as the forum guidelines are adhered to.
F.W.I.W. personally, I wouldn't like to find out the range of possible charges as a suspect, it's a situation that I'd imagine that most of us, as responsible motorists, would do everything possible to avoid.

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
why is it that cyclists where there is a cycle /pedestrian path still choose to ride on the road where is the health and safety in that or are you just tired of living

Reactions: Buckman
Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
why is it that cyclists where there is a cycle /pedestrian path still choose to ride on the road where is the health and safety in that or are you just tired of living
Because sometimes there are parked cars, drain covers, loose gravel, pedestrians with headphones, children and any other number of obstacles that are harder to negotiate than a clean, well maintained road surface.

May 11, 2021
Visit site
Because sometimes there are parked cars, drain covers, loose gravel, pedestrians with headphones, children and any other number of obstacles that are harder to negotiate than a clean, well maintained road surface.
And because there is no requirement to use a cycle path - this was another thing reiterated in the recent awareness campaign. Many cycle lanes are ill thought-out, poorly maintained and unfit for purpose. I’ll use one if it benefits me but sometimes it is safer to use the road.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Back in 1963 as a young cyclist the ROSPA tutor was emphatic we kept a yard away from all parked cars even if it meant holding up the traffic. Ever seen a cyclist hit a suddenly opening car door🥴. Well done HWC looking after us cyclists👏👏

Reactions: figbat
May 11, 2021
Visit site
Back in 1963 as a young cyclist the ROSPA tutor was emphatic we kept a yard away from all parked cars even if it meant holding up the traffic. Ever seen a cyclist hit a suddenly opening car door🥴. Well done HWC looking after us cyclists👏👏
Indeed - injury to the cyclist or person opening the car door, with the secondary risk of swerving to avoid the opening door to be hit by some other passing vehicle. Yes, I also stay away from the car door zone where possible.

Another thing that often comes up in these debates is how car drivers state they are "forced" to overtake too close. Nobody is forcing anybody to overtake - the safer option is often to follow at a safe distance until the opportunity to overtake safely comes along. I have followed like this for several minutes in the past, especially when towing. When road cycling, if I find myself being followed for any distance with little overtaking opportunity I will try to find a place to get out of the way and let the traffic pass - in fact before that I will plan a route that avoids this kind of situation developing.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The A449 near us which is dual carriageway has a good cycle path running alongside it and still cyclists prefer to use the road?

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
When road cycling, if I find myself being followed for any distance with little overtaking opportunity I will try to find a place to get out of the way and let the traffic pass

Is not this the whole essence of the issue, cyclist being "considerate" that whilst they legally can really screw up use of many roads and lanes, the "better" ones of us don't; we are considerate.

Sadly, though not all, there is that section that use the "we have every right" to make others use as difficult as they can.

As a near life time, now octogenarian cyclist, and sixty plus years driving, I am gobsmacked, as ever, at the appalling practices of others on the road, including cyclist, and motorised vehicles of all flavours.
The common root factor so often being a lack of "consideration" for others.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
JTQ no one is objecting to cyclists using the roads responsibly and with courtesy, but as in many cases sadly a minority spoil it for the majority.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
The A449 near us which is dual carriageway has a good cycle path running alongside it and still cyclists prefer to use the road?
I don't know the road, or cyclepath, so can't comment from direct experience of that route, but as per my comment above, its likely that if its a path running parallel to a main road ether in the road margin or separated by a kerb, its full of gravel, drains, sticks, and poor tarmac that is more dangerous than the main carriageway. Personally I prefer a clean smooth surface to one that is more likely to cause me a puncture that may cause a fall, potentially into the live lane I am riding next to.

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
It is good that they are trying to educate motorists as some need a real education on using roads, but I wonder what legislation they would use to prosecute a driver if they pass too close to a cyclist or another vehicle?

Probably Careless Driving. I do agree that some cyclists seem to just want to make a point and hold you up just because they legally can.

May 11, 2021
Visit site
Advice varies, but cyclists wanting (and able) to do reasonable speeds are often advised to use the road. The Department for Transport had a recommendation of 18 mph and this article from Cycle Scheme suggests 15 mph. These are speeds that are easily sustainable on a flat road by a reasonable cyclist.

Reactions: Tobes
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
There‘s a couple of serious cycle clubs near me. These guys bikes cost a fortune and easily travel at 25/30mph. These are the fit ones😉

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Probably Careless Driving. I do agree that some cyclists seem to just want to make a point and hold you up just because they legally can.
due care and attention more likely careless and dangerous cover more serious incidents.

May 11, 2021
Visit site
There‘s a couple of serious cycle clubs near me. These guys bikes cost a fortune and easily travel at 25/30mph. These are the fit ones😉
I’m just a recreational and fitness cyclist but I have seen just north of 50mph (downhill!) and my best average speed over a 25 mile ride is 19 mph. It’s not that hard and doesn’t need a very expensive bike to top 15 or 18 mph on the flat.

Reactions: Tobes and Dustydog

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts