Law abiding cyclists!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
According to the new Highway Code when passing cyclists you need to give them a wide berth of about 1.5m. Sadly when cyclists are riding two abreast, this can make passing extremely difficult for anyone especially on a country road.

Also how do you give a cyclist a 1m or 1.5m clearance when they are riding two abreast coming towards you? You cannot move over and it may not be a good idea to come to a complete stop or it just may not be possible. Unfortunately that is what happened this morning and I had to brake sharply even though I was probably doing under 30mph on a rural country road. At the time I was approaching a left hand bend with high hedges. There was no way they could see around the bend.

Later I saw the same 4 cyclists on a main road and although they were not riding two abreast they were basically in the middle of the lane making overtaking hazardous especially for the ambulance that was directly behind the rear rider.

I have great respect for those that cycle, use common sense and obey the law, but why do a minority spoil it for those cyclists obeying the law?

Reactions: Challenger
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Sorry BM , they have the right to ride two abreast in the middle of the road. As do hosre riders. As a motorcylist with a fairly noisey exhaust passing others I have to throttle down, following motorists hate this. But it is safer. .

Reactions: Tobes
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
The sooner it becomes compulsory that cyclists have an identification number and it should be compulsory they have insurance to cover any damage they cause, instead cyclists can cause an accident but the car user automatically gets blamed.

Reactions: Challenger
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The sooner it becomes compulsory that cyclists have an identification number and it should be compulsory they have insurance to cover any damage they cause, instead cyclists can cause an accident but the car user automatically gets blamed.
Would your approach cover all cyclist including children too. What form of registration identity number would you propose and fitted where on the bike. Enforcement would be a nightmare and low priority for police.
I would suggest that the risk of damage, injury or death is weighted heavily against the cyclist and most likely to be caused by the actions of drivers. I guess you would be equally agsinst a young rider on a small motorbike limited to 30 mph. Not easy to pass but you just need patience.

Reactions: Tobes and figbat
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Sorry BM , they have the right to ride two abreast in the middle of the road. As do hosre riders. As a motorcylist with a fairly noisey exhaust passing others I have to throttle down, following motorists hate this. But it is safer. .
However total lack of courtesy and road manners hogging the road. We do have horse riders in our neighbourhood, but when they hear a motor vehicle approaching they have the courtesy to go into single file unlike many cyclists who think the road belongs to them only!

Thank goodness it is only a minority of selfish uncaring cyclist who are spoiling it for the majority!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
No road user is perfect 100% of the time and this applies to both cyclists and motorists.
If the road is too narrow to overtake cyclists safely, however many abreast they're riding, then don't overtake.
Nobody in their right mind would try to overtake a lorry if the road was too narrow, and cyclists are much more vulnerable than lorry drivers.
It's not worth killing or injuring a cyclist to save a minute or two of your time, even if you think that they're "in the wrong".

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Before too much emotion is raised here are the recently introduced rules for cyclists and drivers.

Reactions: Tobes and Parksy
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
True but from what age and cycle size, ie wheel diameter, Not possible, so many electric scooters on the roads and pavments. I love them but I am old and walk home beside with Mrs H on her electric chariot. Wednesdays and Sundays I am on my Honda 500 CBF. I

Reactions: Parksy
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
No road user is perfect 100% of the time and this applies to both cyclists and motorists.
If the road is too narrow to overtake cyclists safely, however many abreast they're riding, then don't overtake.
Nobody in their right mind would try to overtake a lorry if the road was too narrow, and cyclists are much more vulnerable than lorry drivers.
It's not worth killing or injuring a cyclist to save a minute or two of your time, even if you think that they're "in the wrong".
No sensible person would try and over take them, my beef is when they are coming towards you riding two abreast as there is no way can you them a clearance of 1.5m!
By the way is all the Highway Code based on legislation and is there legislation regarding the new rules?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
No sensible person would try and over take them, my beef is when they are coming towards you riding two abreast as there is no way can you them a clearance of 1.5m!
By the way is all the Highway Code based on legislation and is there legislation regarding the new rules?

Yes it’s embodied in various laws. The “ must” is non negotiable and “ should” advisory. But failure to abide by “ should” could lead to an offence given any particular circumstances surrounding the situation.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
If they're coming toward you and you can't continue safely, surely the most sensible thing to do would be to stop until the danger has passed?

Reactions: Tobes and ProfJohnL
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If they're coming toward you and you can't continue safely, surely the most sensible thing to do would be to stop until the danger has passed?
No different really to meeting a single cyclist in Devon. You’d give your right arm ( literally) for a 1.5 meters gap.

Reactions: Tobes
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
On a straight road it is not a problem, but stopping on a bend goes against all my instincts. If they were riding single file especially when coming around a bend then there is no an issue.

Like many others I think it is time that cyclists were also registered to use the roads and should have some sort of identification on their cycles that can be picked by ANPR as some are downright selfish and a law unto themselves when on the road.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
All road users should be considerate of others in my opinion.

A couple of days ago we encountered a cycle rally with about 500 riders mostly riding in line. They were spaced such that it wasn't possible to overtake just a few at a time which would have meant a long time on the wrong side of the road, oncoming traffic permitting.

Fortunately we were going the other way but I can imagine the frustration of the drivers behind them.

Reactions: Buckman

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
If you're faced with the choice of stopping on a bend or ploughing into a group of cyclists coming toward you, no matter if you have judged them to be riding correctly or not, what are you going to do?
Using the roads is governed by laws and rules, but a bit of common sense has to be applied now and again.
The potential registration of cyclists is for the government to decide.
All road users can be selfish and a law unto themselves at times, and if you want to continue to drive without suffering injury or injuring others, it's best to keep that in mind and adjust your driving accordingly.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The law gives cyclists as much right to use the road as any one else. Just because you are in a car does not give you any greater right to that particular piece of tarmac.

However, I do agree there are some cyclists who do not obey the law, such as red light jumpers, one way street directions, etc, and it would be gratifying to see more offenders brought to book for these annoying and dangerous transgressions.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If you're faced with the choice of stopping on a bend or ploughing into a group of cyclists coming toward you, no matter if you have judged them to be riding correctly or not, what are you going to do?
Using the roads is governed by laws and rules, but a bit of common sense has to be applied now and again.
The potential registration of cyclists is for the government to decide.
All road users can be selfish and a law unto themselves at times, and if you want to continue to drive without suffering injury or injuring others, it's best to keep that in mind and adjust your driving accordingly.

I can tell who lives in a town and who doesn't by the way they ride, drive or walk in a rural area.
Nothing wrong with my driving as I stick within the law it is just the selfish uncaring idiots out there that you have to be extra careful of when on the road as it seems many of them are brain dead no matter what sort of transport they are using.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
All road users should be considerate of others in my opinion.

A couple of days ago we encountered a cycle rally with about 500 riders mostly riding in line. They were spaced such that it wasn't possible to overtake just a few at a time which would have meant a long time on the wrong side of the road, oncoming traffic permitting.

Fortunately we were going the other way but I can imagine the frustration of the drivers behind them.
I came across similar going in to Applecross. They overtook me at a pace 🤣

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I can tell who lives in a town and who doesn't. Nothing wrong with my driving as I stick within the law it is just the selfish uncaring idiots out there that you have to be extar careful of when on the road as it seems many of them are brain dead.
Nobody is criticising anybody's driving, and the same level of care and awareness should be applied whether driving in town or in rural areas.
One needs to be extra careful of 'selfish uncaring idiots' no matter what mode of transport they happen to be using or where they happen to be.

Reactions: Buckman
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Nobody is criticising anybody's driving, and the same level of care and awareness should be applied whether driving in town or in rural areas.
One needs to be extra careful of 'selfish uncaring idiots' no matter what mode of transport they happen to be using or where they happen to be.
Modified my post to make it clearer.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Are you referring to rule 163? If so - this is for overtaking, not passing on the other side? If a road is too narrow to comfortably pass a single vehicle that is approaching, slowing down, or stopping to negotiate the restriction seems sensible?

Give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders and horse drawn vehicles at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car (see Rules 211 to 215). As a guide:
  • leave at least 1.5 metres when overtaking cyclists at speeds of up to 30mph, and give them more space when overtaking at higher speeds

Reactions: Parksy
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Are you referring to rule 163? If so - this is for overtaking, not passing on the other side? If a road is too narrow to comfortably pass a single vehicle that is approaching, slowing down, or stopping to negotiate the restriction seems sensible?

Give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders and horse drawn vehicles at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car (see Rules 211 to 215). As a guide:
  • leave at least 1.5 metres when overtaking cyclists at speeds of up to 30mph, and give them more space when overtaking at higher speeds
I gave up on the idiots a long time ago and either slow right down or stop. No issue on a straight part of the road as they can see you and you can see them. It is on blind bends when they cut the corner and are either on the wrong side of the road or very close to the middle of the road.
Obviously I am very cautious when approaching these blind bends as in addition to cyclist cutting the corner many motorists do the same. If another vehicle does hit you even though you are going at a snail's pace and the other vehicle at speed, you probably will walk away. Same cannot be said for an errant cyclist, but motorist will get the blame anyway.
By the way it seems that the 1.5m is not a rule, but a guideline as per the following;
give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders and horse drawn vehicles at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car (see Rules 211 to 215).
As a guide:
  • pass horse riders and horse-drawn vehicles at speeds under 10 mph and allow at least 2 metres of space
  • allow at least 2 metres of space and keep to a low speed when passing a pedestrian who is walking in the road (for example, where there is no pavement)
  • take extra care and give more space when overtaking motorcyclists, cyclists, horse riders, horse drawn vehicles and pedestrians in bad weather (including high winds) and at night
  • you should wait behind the motorcyclist, cyclist, horse rider, horse drawn vehicle or pedestrian and not overtake if it is unsafe or not possible to meet these clearances.
As said always good to obey guidelines anyway.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The 1.5 metre minimum distance is not new. Wiltshire Police we’re carrying out ““undercover” checks on motorists back in summer 2018. The recent update of the Highway Code seeks to increase the awareness of the requirement.

It is good that they are trying to educate motorists as some need a real education on using roads, but I wonder what legislation they would use to prosecute a driver if they pass too close to a cyclist or another vehicle?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts