LCD TV

Jun 11, 2005
Visit site
I recently boughta 15 inch Samsung LCD TV to replace my old Thomson 10 caravan TV. However when the Samsung arrived I tested it on two home fixed aerial leads and one portable aerial. On all three its picture quality was very weak comapred to the three other TVs that we have. None of the aerials is bosted and all can obtain terrestrial Freeview (via a box) if required with no problem. Has anyone any experienec of using LCD TVs in a caravan with the Status (round ) aerial or ordinary mast mounted aerial. And if they work okay in the van waht are they like on the home domestic aerial.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Clive - we use a Philips LCD Tv and picture quality is very good. Sometimes we use the Status, other times we use a directional. In good signal areas Freeview is possible.

Dec 4, 2005
Visit site
We have used an LCD TV with the normal Status Ariel with no problems. Have found the sound quality of these units to be not as good as normal TV's but this must be due to the speaker size I suppose.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have an excellent picture with the Manhattan usually on Sky but on the Status in a good reception area.

I have made an inexpensive mod to the sound.

A pair of computer shelf speakers at

Jul 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi All

Depending where in the UK you are will predominantly depend on the polarisation of the network. If you have the status 530 type aerial you can change the polarity to either vertical or horizontal but otherwise it has to be a compromise. What we have done in the past is simple, when you are arriving at your destination look at the house aerials to see which way they are pointing and which polarisation they use. Hope this helps

Tom

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In my experiance LCD TVs require a slighly better signal than a normal CRT TV. However if your signal isn't too bad having an LCD is great for caravaning, considering the weight and space they take up. Picture quality is quite good even on the cheaper screens, the only proviso being that viewing angle can be reduced.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Totally agree with your comments Lol

A big advantage of the LCD type TV is that you can tilt the screen downwards which is beneficial with fixed bed caravans where the TV is at ceiling height

Jun 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

thanks to everyone for their helpful advice. I have now bought a 15 inch Phillips from Argos and it works very well on the house aerials and a portable aerial, so I am confident that it will be okay in the van.

Other Clive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts