Le Havre to Royan - route

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
We are booked to travel to the Royan area at the beginning of August (unfortunately yes on a Saturday). We are towing and would appreciate your thoughts on the best route. I don't mind paying tolls if we avoid congested cities, although would like to keep the cost of this as low as possible. Which route would be best - via le mans, Tours, or the Nantes etc route. Also any idea how long it should take? thanks

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
I would probably go from Le Havre - Caen - Rennes - Nantes etc - I am sure it is toll free until the other side of Nantes and you do not normally hit much traffic as you may do around Le Mans. Timing I would estimate from Le Havre to Nantes - 4 1/2 hours. Then from Nantes to site - 3 hrs. Allowing time for stops you may wish to break the journey half way for an overnight stop depending upon which sailing you are on. If you arrive early morning you can do it in the day but it will no doubt be tiring, especially for the driver. We normally like to hit a site early afternoon for an overnight stop. It gives you time to settle, perhaps have a look around, do some shopping and chill out for the evening. You have not got too far then to travel the next day and arrive at your chosen site still with plenty of energy to start looking round for a good pitch!

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
I agree that the Le Havre-Caen-Rennes-Nantes-Royan route is the best. The road is dual carriage way/autoroute all the way to the Royan exit.

You do NOT pay tolls until just south of Nantes and the toll to the exit to Royan is about 17 euros.

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jackie,

I agree with Lesley and David. We have taken this route a few times now and it generally takes around 8 - 8-1/2 hours including a couple of short breaks.

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for your advice. We know the Rennes, Nantes route as we've been done to the Vendee a few times and I agree the road is very good. We will do the way down in one day as our ferry gets in about 7am, although I think we will sort out an overnight stop for the way home.

Apr 30, 2008
Visit site
Thats most definatly the way I would go. I have a terific sat nav and she will be planning the route whilst I drive and I am sure that is the way to go. I to have been to the Vendee on several occasions and almost always take this route.

If I can be any more help just shout.

Ian

Apr 30, 2008
Visit site
Thats most definatly the way I would go. I have a terific sat nav and she will be planning the route whilst I drive and I am sure that is the way to go. I to have been to the Vendee on several occasions and almost always take this route.

On the way back I would suggest a night stop over just north of Rennes.

Ian

Apr 30, 2008
Visit site

On the way back I would suggest a night stop over just north of Rennes.

Ian

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Hi Jackie,

Did this one last year ,I agree through Nantes which will include a trip over a very very very high bridge,superb view.I drive all day for a living and the drive down to Royan is a full days work and a bit of a tester with young ones,invest in an in car tv!!,check out St Palais Sur Mer,excellent beaches and facilities

Andy

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
If not bothered about tolls, then via Le Mans and Tours is the best easy driving route.

Michelin, Mappy and Sat Nav will take you that way. The Rennes, Nantes route is more picturesque but can be far slower and subject to numerous delays if travelling at the wrong time of day or week.

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
From memory travelling from Le Harve across to rennes was quite hilly.

there are other routes you could take, Le Harve - Le Manns - Poitiers - Royan or Le Manns - angers - Royan

TRENDING THREADS