Leak in Caravan...

Apr 3, 2015
Visit site
Hi,
I have a Bailey Auvergne, which has a leak in the rear corner where the side wall meets the rear of the caravan, I have removed some of the floor board where it meets the floor and that's where the water tends to puddle on the floor corner.. It seems to be running down the wooden batton that joins the side wall to the back of the van..but running on the side wall side more than the back of the van wall.. I have sealed the rear part of awning rail a year or so ago to fix an earlier problem which turned out to be the rear top red/white light and re sealed the rear small window for a leak also.. I have no water coming in to the van from a nearby roof light which hasn't been sealed recently but I have been told it could be coming in there.. water seems to be coming in when in storage when not quite level ( Rear part down more than front ) I have resealed as many screws as I can see apart from the lower aluminium strip running along the van which is riveted on. Any Ideas .. as the van is sighted and my car will not tow ..so very much a DIY job but at a loss to know where its coming in..Thanks very much

Here is a pic of the problem side..

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
First of all, any resealing you may have done, unless you removed ALL the old sealant from both van and whatever was attached to it, ie awning rail, then you have wasted your time as new sealant will NOT adhere to old.
Also if you have used anything but the correct caravan sealants, ie B&Q silicone , that is a waste of time as well, and money as it is useless on caravans.

Your current problem is most likely the rear roof strap which runs across the roof, one at the front, one at the back.
That needs to be removed, fully cleaned of all old mastic, van cleaned of all old mastic, new mastic applied and the strap refitted, ensuring a good blob of mastic is in each screw hole to seal the screws.
Use Soudall Fixall.
Also check both ends from the strap to the van side and make sure any gaps are properly filled with mastic.

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
It's time the Japanese started making caravans. I'm amazed they've not done it already. They decimated our car and motorcycle industries then we copy them and now ours are reasonable. Roll on the introduction of the Nippon Tourer :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts