Leaking Avondale which sealant ?

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Hi I have discovered a leak on the inside of my van at the front corner. Looking outside the van has been sealed before with some silicone. My question is which sealant to try and repair the leak. I have found two types on the web... sikaflex 512 and Captain tolleys creeping crack cure. Any advice will be welcome. :)

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
m bryan said:
Hi I have discovered a leak on the inside of my van at the front corner. Looking outside the van has been sealed before with some silicone. My question is which sealant to try and repair the leak. I have found two types on the web... sikaflex 512 and Captain tolleys creeping crack cure. Any advice will be welcome. :)

Soudall Fixall or Sikaflex 512. These are normally used for awning rails etc, is your leak in the actual body work, has the plastci/fibreglass cracked if so this would only effect a temporary seal as it sounds like you have already found out.
Hope this helps

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Thanks gagakev I think its either the awning rails or the window rails/seals
only cracks in body are ageing cracks ie like a cracked plate if you understand what I mean.
thanks for the advice.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
If it's the awning rail would advise to take them off very carefully, clean them up and re-seal completly, just putting extra sealant over the top of existing doesnt bond very well due to dirt and grim and wont last very long, sorry cant help if it's window seals but some one on here will come along soon and give you an answer, good luck

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Unfortunately Avondale, along with Coachman don't use stainless steel awning rail screws.

So you probably have some 200 rusting screws, if the caravan is 7 years old, my Avondale had virtually no heads left on the screws that held the roof strips!
So be prepared to replace the screws.
Also be aware that 512 etc are sealant and adhesives, so if you require to lift the rail in the further, then it will probably involve destroying and replacing the rail.
I would ask a repairer what they use, as i know some won't use Sikaflex for that reason.

To check the screws just lift the rubber cover, start from the bottom of the rail, you may have to remove a rusty nail.

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Hi Ray thanks for the advice my caravan is 17 years old.
Was trying to seal it without removing the rails but think I may have
to go down that route if I have only got rusty nails not screws left :)

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Bryan
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, i loved our Avondale and was gutted to find the rusting screws.

Don't try to seal along the rail edges, its a waste of time in my experience, having tried it, all that happens is it comes off after a winter, or a few frosts.

Sealants have progressed , but the only way to do the job is to remove the rails, your caravan will only have sealant, not sealant adhesive as on newer caravans, so apart from the screws being a problem you should get them off, but they may need replacing?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts