Leaking caravan cover

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
"High spec" cover leaking through roof after second winter use (wet patch as big as dinner plate on material). Manufacturer say its not soaking through but coming from the ground upwards, has anybody else heard of this happening?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
dodgycover said:
"High spec" cover leaking through roof after second winter use (wet patch as big as dinner plate on material). Manufacturer say its not soaking through but coming from the ground upwards, has anybody else heard of this happening?

Firstly welcome to the forum.

Has the cover been inspected by the manufacturer? If not how can they possibly tell whats wrong?
It will of course depend on what guarantee came with the cover, but the manufacturer may just be trying to evade their liability implied under the guarantee. Read the details carefully.

But even if the manufacturer wont play ball you still have the you contract with your seller. Under the Sale of Goods Act (SoGA) your seller is not only liable for any faulty goods the sell, they must also sell goods of merchantable quality and sufficiently durable for their purpose. It won't necessarily be easy but you might consider making a claim against your seller, the difficulty will be establishing the realistic life expectancy of a caravan cover, and showing that yours has not been sufficiently durable.

I suggest you read this

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/sale-of-goods-act

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The idea that water coming up from the bottom of a cover to the roof seems ludicrous to me. Capillary action can cause it to rise but that is entirely different to me. Even if they were right it would surelyshow bad design and still be unfit for purpose. I would follow the previous advice and quote The Sale of Goods Act to whoever sold it to you and warn them of your intention to raise a small claims action if they do not deal with it.
Not sure what the life expectancy of a cover is but certainly far more than two years.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts