Leased Electric cars

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I was checking to see what cars you could drive if you pass your driving test in an electric car. (EV) it turns out you get a B auto licence.
But whilst I was browsing I found this website for leased / rented EV cars. Maybe not such a bad price for everything included.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My grandsons fiancée is taking driving lessons in an ICE auto as her intent will be to lease/pcp a hybrid or EV when she passes. In the mean time she adds hours to her log book by driving grandsons 5 series PHEV. Our daughter has a full licence for auto and manual but ever since her first car was an auto she has never had a manual over the last thirty or so years. Current car NHS leased Corolla SC hybrid.

We plan to eke out the two ICE, the new one only has 6000 k on the clock, but the successor(s) will probably be EV with some interesting Chinese ones entering the market now at prices and warranty that will put pressure on the European makes.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I was checking to see what cars you could drive if you pass your driving test in an electric car. (EV) it turns out you get a B auto licence.
But whilst I was browsing I found this website for leased / rented EV cars. Maybe not such a bad price for everything included.

As a matter of interest, is there such a thing as a manual EV?

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
Volvo have a similar idea to these, called Care by Volvo where you pay a monthly payment that covers all the costs apart from fuel... A PHEV XC40 (at least it can tow!) is about £750 per month... the ONTO vehicles seem very expensive by comparison...

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Volvo have a similar idea to these, called Care by Volvo where you pay a monthly payment that covers all the costs apart from fuel... A PHEV XC40 (at least it can tow!) is about £750 per month... the ONTO vehicles seem very expensive by comparison...
The majority of new car sales of any sort are now lease or PCP. Cash is ”uncool”. So when we went looking for a car last summer the dealers weren’t offering any decent deals on new cars other than PCP. So we opted for a manufacturer approved eight months old Kia less than 4K miles and its 7 year warranty plus Kia Connect and RAC cover all reinstated equivalent to a new purchase. It had been processed in Kia’s own facility and I could not tell it from brand new.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The majority of new car sales of any sort are now lease or PCP. Cash is ”uncool”. So when we went looking for a car last summer the dealers weren’t offering any decent deals on new cars other than PCP. So we opted for a manufacturer approved eight months old Kia less than 4K miles and its 7 year warranty plus Kia Connect and RAC cover all reinstated equivalent to a new purchase. It had been processed in Kia’s own facility and I could not tell it from brand new.
Looking at the prices to lease an EV makes it impractical for us as at end of the day, you have nothing to show for it. Probably reasonable price if you are employed earning a good salary and not retired?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Looking at the prices to lease an EV makes it impractical for us as at end of the day, you have nothing to show for it. Probably reasonable price if you are employed earning a good salary and not retired?
Good point, but retired people don’t get made redundant, although other outcomes might affect their ability to fulfill the lease. What a choice. Lease a BEV, or save for care fees?

• Haha
Reactions: Buckman
Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
No

And it's worth point out that there is no EV manual, because there is also no EV auto. (Almost all) EVs have no gear box at all. You dont change gear (manualy or automaticaly) in an EV. You select the direction that the motor spins in.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
And it's worth point out that there is no EV manual, because there is also no EV auto. (Almost all) EVs have no gear box at all. You dont change gear (manualy or automaticaly) in an EV. You select the direction that the motor spins in.
Technically, EVs do have a gearbox - a single speed speed gear which matches the motor rotation speed to the road speed - under present legislation these are defined as automatics - so passing the driving test in an EV won't allow driving a manual IC car.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
At least i could get in the Volvo and that a plus for me

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Technically, EVs do have a gearbox - a single speed speed gear which matches the motor rotation speed to the road speed - under present legislation these are defined as automatics - so passing the driving test in an EV won't allow driving a manual IC car.
Don’t forget some will have a differential, which could be considered a “ box with gears”😱

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Jul 23, 2021
Visit site

Don’t forget some will have a differential, which could be considered a “ box with gears”😱

Indeed - it's a reduction gear that normalises max motor RPM to max wheel RPM. What it doesn't do is vary the ratio, or change direction, or disengage at low speed or when stoped. A couple of EVs (notably the Porshe Taycan and Audi Etron GT) have a two speed box that allows for a higher top speed. And some EVs (notably Rivian) use hub motors with no gears at all.

But yes - for licence purposes - they are automatic.

Reactions: otherclive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts