Led Rear Lights

Jun 9, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I need to replace the rear lights on my 1991 caravan as they are not working correctly.

The current lights have Stop, Tail and Indicator with a separate fog lamp, I want to change them to Led but most of the lights I find have reversing lights included, the question is if I fit these lights do the reversing lights have to work?

Thanks

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This is a grey area.
Although a caravan does not need reversing lights as it is not subject to an MOT, as soon as it is attached to the car it must conform to C&U regulations and they state that all lights fitted must work.

Whilst it may seem very unlikely that you will be brought to task , if stopped by one of the roadside check units , a very picky inspector / Policeman would pull you up on this and could demand that the light is made operable before continuing your journey.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Rather than replace them with something new have you tried breakers to see if you can get a similar replacement unit which will save the reversing light problem. You can google caravan breakers to see what they have.
Do be aware that some cars have had difficulty with the electrics where caravans have LEDs after towing with conventional bulbs. There are threads on this if you want to search.

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
Raywood said:
Rather than replace them with something new have you tried breakers to see if you can get a similar replacement unit which will save the reversing light problem. You can google caravan breakers to see what they have.
Do be aware that some cars have had difficulty with the electrics where caravans have LEDs after towing with conventional bulbs. There are threads on this if you want to search.

The potential issue with LED bulbs is with CANBUS electronics on cars. In most cases, the addition of a towbar and vehicle specific wiring adds a small control unit, which controls the trailer lighting. For example the wiring kit for my car assumed only one fog and one reversing light, where there were actually two of each, both with incandescent bulbs. This meant too high a resistance, and the control unit shut down both lights. The harness supplier supplied 4 LED bulbs ballasted appropriately to replicate 2 single bulb installations...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts