LEd spotlights with USB

May 14, 2017
Visit site
I've recently had the brainwave of replacing the six reading spotlights with new led spots and thought while i was at it id try and get some with usb ports in them. These will be very handy considering the amount of devices that require charging for the kids and of course our kindles phones etc.
I've fitted one spot already and if works fine, its dimmable and the usb works both when the light is on or off.
I'm just wondering will these be a considerable drain the leisure battery even when not in use?
The model is a MENSA 1 SMD Dimming Spotlight with switch and USB port.
I'd hate to get home and not be able to use the motor mover which is pretty much necessary to get the van back on the driveway.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Why ?
Isn't that just one more thing that could possibly drain the battery like you say ? when we go away there are four of us , 2 phones plus the kids tablets and we have no problem charging them up separately or two at a time with the amount of plugs we have.

May 14, 2017
Visit site
The main reason is that chargers take up the mains sockets of which there is only two. I also thought its convenient to have the usb charging points available at the fixed bed and the seating area.

Apr 19, 2017
Visit site
If there is any power drain at all from the USB outlets when not in use, it will be minute.
A more important issue is that many 12v derived USB outlets do not seem to be capable of charging tablets etc adequately, despite their claims to be rated at 2A or whatever.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We have three 240v sockets which apart from tv in the evenings can always be used to charge devices. We also carry a couple of power packs too which come in handy when our granddaughter and friend come along. The power packs are often recharged at night via 240v and as they have ‘through ‘ charging a device will be plugged in to them.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Kerbdog,
I think we have about four or five sockets in our caravan but at the kitchen area we also have a multi plug which we plug into the normal socket to give us another two for the kettle and the toaster, at the back we have an extension plug lead giving the kids tv and tablets charging points (2 or 3 plug extension) , that's all we do , just don't overload it if you know what I mean.
Wilkonsons Multisocket 13amp 3way about £2.oo each .
Craig

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
We plug a multi 4 usb thing into one socket. Okay takes longer to charge phones if all 4 in use but that doesn't matter at night. I think we're 5 sockets as well plus the one outside which is kept free for the wheelchair over night.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As Vic comments, If there's no device is plugged into them they will consume very little power Often there is an LED indicating they're powered up and than might consume up to about 10 mA or 0.010A

As for how much they might deplete a caravan battery, then as a guide, if you know the capacity of the battery in the device, and conveniently they are usually rated in milliAmp Hours (mAh) at 5V allowing for conversion and battery efficiencies it would reasonably safe to assume if a USB device has a 3000mAh battery capacity if its charged from the 12V battery, it will consume very close to 3Ah of the caravan batteries charge.

Some devices will still use power from the charger even when the battery is fully recharged, so for maximum efficiency always remove the device from the charger when charging is completed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts